McLeish - Yes / No / Unsure

Dodgyknees

McLeish - Yes, No or Unsure  

438 members have voted

1. 1. McLeish - Yes, No or Unsure

• Yes - He can take us forward
    • No - We need someone better
    • Unsure - Still need more time

I don't see anything to suggest that McLeish would be a good appointment given time.

I was one of the ones who didn't want him but was more than willng to give him time. I wiped the slate clean, and he impressed me at first, in what he said rather than what was on the pitch.

But there's nothing there, if that makese sense.

There's no little inkling of anythign that could grow into somethign good.

There's no underlying system that makes me think "I can see what he's trying to do here". There nothign to suggest that he's got somethign in mind and given the right players it will eventually work.

Normally with a manager you can see what they are trying to do, even if they don't have the right resources, players, backing, whatever.

Even with Houllier. I know a lot of people didn't like him, but at least there was a style of football there that made you think if he had loads of time to bed it in and the right players it could work (even though the appauling defence was probably a price too high to pay)

At least you got the impression, or at least I did, that Houllier in his head knew what he wanted.

I don't get that with mcLeish. I think if he's backed he'll just buy players and hope they fall into a team. I just can't see anythign on the pitch that points towards a style of play that he can build a team around.

We still, 4 mnths into the season, look like a group of players thrown together for the first time and given no direction. Every week the formation is different, every week the positions are different. Nothing seems to be coming together, nothign seems to be heading in any particular direction.

Direction is the key word, and there isn't any. I honestly think if he's here for 2 or 3 years, we'll still be playing the same misguided, unattractive, and unsuccessful football we are now. Backing or no backing.

this. this. this. this. this.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst McLeish has been poor I also worry that there is something more rotten within the squad that even a top class manager wouldnt be able to beat. Towards O'neills end there was a definite down turn in form and performances. Houllier came in and rightly or wrongly tried to change things and there was clear squad problems. Now McLeish is here and to me there seemed like a lack of passion on Saturday, something that I thought was one of the few things McLeish had managed to bring back. Only when Petrov came on did there seem to be more drive and determination.

You say that as if its some form of revelation Houlston?.

No I dont I say it as a form of discussion as in fact Briny has responded but thanks for your input.

McLeish was a dead man walking before the ink was dry on his contract.

Is that also a revelation?

Ah still argumentative then. :-)

Glad though that you can know see the wood through the trees.!

If we lose this weekend he has to go simple as. Winning 3 games against 'lesser' sides and drawing 7 is a joke. Has to go for me and get MH in ASAP but then again I think PF and RL ain't got the grapes to do it.

Needs time.

:winner: Hooray. Some sense.....

Explain the sense please.

Where is he taking us? What's he doing with the squad? What are the positive you've seen? What direction are we heading? What team are we now? Are you happy with the football? Are you happy with the results?

I'd really like to know what exactly you see what some of us are clearly missing.

12 votes out of 329 says it all.

Needs time.

Where is he taking us? What's he doing with the squad? What are the positive you've seen? What direction are we heading? What team are we now? Are you happy with the football? Are you happy with the results?

I'd really like to know what exactly you see what some of us are clearly missing.

I dont like what i see. I also think sacking him now would be idiotic.

I'd give him until this time next season before theres any thought of sacking.

Needs time.

No, clearly I can't be happy with the football, or the results.

BUT he's had 1 transfer window and half a season on drastically reduced budget. The bahaviour of some fans has been appalling The whining "we were promised top 4" "he's an ex-Blouse manager" attitude helps no one.

BUT sacking him and starting again for the 5th time in 2 seasons isn't going to help us either.

I'm not seeing something different, I just don't believe sacking him and sulking like toddlers will help either. There is noone available who is any better - so why change.

Needs time.

BUT he's had 1 transfer window and half a season on drastically reduced budget. The bahaviour of some fans has been appalling The whining "we were promised top 4" "he's an ex-Blouse manager" attitude helps no one.

BUT sacking him and starting again for the 5th time in 2 seasons isn't going to help us either.

I'm not seeing something different, I just don't believe sacking him and sulking like toddlers will help either. There is noone available who is any better - so why change.

Minor details.....

Shoot first, ask second.

Needs time.

I understand your points. However, Mark Hughes is available and IMO would do a better job. It's about motivation as much as anything. AMC can not get a good performance out of our players, partially due to his tactics, partially due to the mentality of our players who were spoilt under MON.

However, I cannot see any other outcome this season than relegation. We will get 3 points max from our next 5 games leaving us with 19 points from 19 games.

All my opinion but Hughes is the obvious better choice.

Also, posting that within hours of such a shit performance was always going to get that outcome.

Its a limited poll....... people will vote in etremis because it doens't allow for a more nuanced arguement.

Needs time.

Because we can make people available. I just can't believe someone like say Paul Lambert would turn us down if we doubled his wages and allowed him to create something here. Show some ambition and managers will come available.

To be honest, I'd rather Kev Mac in charge than McLeish, even if it was just until the end of the season. I honestly don't think it can get much worse than what we are witnessing right now and for once I do worry if something doesn't change, we're going to be dragged out into a relegation battle. I always maintained we'd be safe last year and finish strongly, even at this early stage, I just don't see where points are regularly going to come from?

I don't think Hughes would come as things stand at the moment. He would want funds - something we 'apparently' don't have. Whats the point in having money and not letting the manager spend it? I mean MON walked because there was no money so GH didn't have anything - no only £30m last January :)

Needs time.

Fair enough you are totally entitled to your point of view but to say there is no one who is available who is better is questionable. Mark Hughs is available and better, also we poached AM and money talks. I believe we could tempt a better manager who is currently employed, someone a lot better. Its a shame but the modern game isn't full of honourable one club managers and players now and just like players transfers if a managers head is tuned and the money is right they will consider coming. To long Villa have been the nice guys getting shafted by the bigger boys, time we got ruthless and cut our ties with AM asap, there ARE better options out there!

Money will be spent in Jan/Summer. It has to be, look at all the players whose contracts are up, Randy knows this he knows he can only spend so much per season also. My guess is he was hoping to scrap through this season and start again next season when he can put big money intot he squad again.

I understand your points. However, Mark Hughes is available and IMO would do a better job. It's about motivation as much as anything. AMC can not get a good performance out of our players, partially due to his tactics, partially due to the mentality of our players who were spoilt under MON.[\quote]

So why should AMc pay for MONs mistakes?

However, I cannot see any other outcome this season than relegation. We will get 3 points max from our next 5 games leaving us with 19 points from 19 games.

All my opinion but Hughes is the obvious better choice.

In your opinion. Which lets face it, compared to Randy's is totally irrelevant. Just like mine...... or anyone elses on here.

Needs time.

Yes he has only had 1 transfer window, and thus far all of his signings have been rubbish bar Shay Given. 1-4 ratio. Always risk that Jenas would get injured, Hutton still looks shocking and N'Zogbia has done jack all. Many complain about O'Neill making many dudd signings, the signs don't look good for McLiesh in that respect either.

The football is beyond poor, its just dreadful. Unacceptable. I won't pay £30-£40 to watch the shite thats being served up.

Â