Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

So all, I've been with my girl for 3 years. 

She's going away to Australia for 6 months at Christmas. When she comes back we'll be starting Uni that year. If all goes according to plan i'll be at Exeter and she'll be at Cardiff.

Does anyone have advice for the 6 months in Australia and then the Exeter/Cardiff issue?

Just going to say what I think here. The combination of 6 months in Oz and you both starting Uni in different places means this is gonna end soon. It always does. Has happened to everyone I know who has tried it. People change as they get older, especially in Uni

I was going to say the same thing... it's just not going to work in my opinion. My advice would be to enjoy each others company until Christmas then accept that its over

So all, I've been with my girl for 3 years.

She's going away to Australia for 6 months at Christmas. When she comes back we'll be starting Uni that year. If all goes according to plan i'll be at Exeter and she'll be at Cardiff.

Does anyone have advice for the 6 months in Australia and then the Exeter/Cardiff issue?

Finish it. It might last through her Australia trip but uni will be the end of you.

I should never be listened to on any relationship matter... However... I knew of no couple that survived uni where the couple was separate. You soon both realise that you've basically been given free reign and the relationship inevitably dies.

Don't end it.

But be prepared for it to end. It might break your heart or it might be your decision and break her heart.

But to be brutally honest the guys are right, it probably won't make it.

I know relationships that lasted through uni. but they're few and far between. Especially different unis.

Just be prepared for it not to last.

• Like 1

As I said earlier in this thread and without sounding like an infatuated ghey fool, I have known my current gf for about 4 months now, we both knew something was gonna happen from day one but we took it slow initially and now we have been dating for a month of that time and I'm wondering if it is possible to know that you've met 'the one' in that space of time?

I was with my ex for nearly 5 years, lived with her for 2, had a few short term things in the 3 or so years since but nothing has come close to anything like this. It doesn't feel weird or anything to be certain of where this is heading so soon and she has told me she feels this way before I started to.

Anyone else ever been sure of something so soon?

There is no such thing as 'the one'. I've heard many a chap say they've met the one and how convinced they were only for it to end a few months/years down the line. Shit, people marry 'the one' all the time but get divorced, and some find 'the one' again further down the line.

Be reasonable, weigh your options up and do not make a lifelong decision on instinct because you can not trust your instincts.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I agree CEW, the sheer probability of meeting "the one" is so absurdly long it's tending towards the impossible. All the things we feel for the opposite sex is mainly hormones and natural instinct to procreate with the right mate. 

Everything else is humans trying to explain these things. 

When I say the one I mean in that group of women who may be the closest I'm likely to find as the perfect match. Not that in the whole of the world amongst the billions of people I've found THE ONLY comparable unique individual who happens to live really close to me.

Â