The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

In light of the recent financial figures, does anyone else think that barring a takeover McLeish is here for the long term no matter what?

Unless he resigns of course, but he's not going to do that when he knows he can get a fat pay-off.

Juliette Ferrington (Radio 5 Live reporter) has said on Twitter that she spoke to Robbie Keane, and that he has nothing but good to say about McLeish, and that the players are 100% behind him. Also, Keane told her that McLeish is a great manager!
He's entitled to have that opinion on McLeish (although I doubt he actually believes it) but it's bullshit that they're all behind him. There's just no way that's true.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the chances we could replace him with Lee Clark? A young manager who done a great job in League One. I'd much rather try a young up and coming manager from the lower leagues than some Premiership has been that has failed on more than one occasion.

Bagging Houghton from Birmingham would be a much, much better deal than McLeish.

Fair play to him, he came to Villa and gave it a shot. It just wasn't good enough.

A Letter To Aston Villa

Apologies if it's already been posted, the site is still running a bit slow for me so it would probably take me longer to check properly than it did for us to end Wigan's clean sheet drought.

An interesting, witty and well written read that seems to be doing the rounds on a number of non-Villa sites at the moment.

If AVB gets sacked he would seem a good fit for Villa. A step down from the massive job he shouldn't have got in the first place. Randy's vision of allowing the youth to come through (probably because of the financial situation) which he seems to share, getting rid of the troublesome 'old guard' and being afforded the time to do so (unlike at Chelsea), changing the style of football at the club, he's young...i could just keep going.

What's the chances we could replace him with Lee Clark? A young manager who done a great job in League One. I'd much rather try a young up and coming manager from the lower leagues than some Premiership has been that has failed on more than one occasion.

Bagging Houghton from Birmingham would be a much, much better deal than McLeish.

Fair play to him, he came to Villa and gave it a shot. It just wasn't good enough.

You know what, I'd absolutely love it if we pinched Hughton from SHA.

Firstly because he's a good manager. However, it'd also be nice to people, media and fans alike, to see that our problem with McLeish was never his previous connections. Oh yeah, and we'd be screwing them over as well by taking a good manager away from them, so the exact opposite of when we helped them out by taking a dreadful manager away from them.

A Letter To Aston Villa

Apologies if it's already been posted, the site is still running a bit slow for me so it would probably take me longer to check properly than it did for us to end Wigan's clean sheet drought.

An interesting, witty and well written read that seems to be doing the rounds on a number of non-Villa sites at the moment.

great letter

A Letter To Aston Villa

Bang on the money.

I think that letter summed it up quite nicely and was well written. It'd be nice if someone at Villa could get that into the hands of a board member.

It made a lot of very good points, particularly with the disrespect the club has shown the fans and the lack of communication. I can only hope this is so because something big is going on at VP, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Juliette Ferrington (Radio 5 Live reporter) has said on Twitter that she spoke to Robbie Keane, and that he has nothing but good to say about McLeish, and that the players are 100% behind him. Also, Keane told her that McLeish is a great manager!

I see no reason for Keane to lie, he has no reason and nothing to gain from doing so.

So I take the above from RK as basically true (ish) which leaves me wondering where the problem actually is ?

I see no reason for Keane to lie, he has no reason and nothing to gain from doing so.

So I take the above from RK as basically true (ish) which leaves me wondering where the problem actually is ?

#

Actually Keane has hundreds of thousands of reasons to not tell the whole truth. He has already stated that he sees in the future many players taking the same path he Becks, Donovan and Henry have done. This short term loan will be very profitable for Keane and he would like to do more of it. One thing that could really dent these ambitions would be to leave Villa and then give a warts and all analysis of his time there. What other manager would ask him to do the same if he can be shown to be a disruptive influence when he leaves.

Giving a nice positive message that follows the party line at Villa is much more condusive to his future employment prospects and ambitions. He actually has less of a reason to be negative about his time there as it can only really reflect badly on him to the rest of the football world (apart from Villa fans). Now he looks like a good solid pro, who came in did a job for the team and was positive in the media. nice addition to the CV I'm sure there are more teams looking at him wondering if he can do the same for them now.....

Come on!!!

You really expect Keane to come out and say that AM is shite and hasnt got the dressing room etc etc?

He's going to say all that stuff to the press, that he's a great manager etc.

Let's not be so naive about it.

#

Actually Keane has hundreds of thousands of reasons to not tell the whole truth. He has already stated that he sees in the future many players taking the same path he Becks, Donovan and Henry have done. This short term loan will be very profitable for Keane and he would like to do more of it. One thing that could really dent these ambitions would be to leave Villa and then give a warts and all analysis of his time there. What other manager would ask him to do the same if he can be shown to be a disruptive influence when he leaves.

Giving a nice positive message that follows the party line at Villa is much more condusive to his future employment prospects and ambitions. He actually has less of a reason to be negative about his time there as it can only really reflect badly on him to the rest of the football world (apart from Villa fans). Now he looks like a good solid pro, who came in did a job for the team and was positive in the media. nice addition to the CV I'm sure there are more teams looking at him wondering if he can do the same for them now.....

I concur. He is just spinning the line that AVFC would like to hear spun. He's not cutting his connections in case he needs them one day.

A Letter To Aston Villa

Written by one on behalf of thousands.

Telling comment from that letter being "content in the knowledge that they’re not paying me any attention and, in any case, have absolutely no respect for my views in the first place."

Telling comment from that letter being "content in the knowledge that they’re not paying me any attention and, in any case, have absolutely no respect for my views in the first place."

Reminds me of the General Krulak thread we used to have on the site, which in hindsight was pretty farcical tbh.

Not sure Clark would be the man for the job, there were underlying reasons why he left Huddersfield and I think a lot of his success there was down to having the biggest budget in the league. A talented up and coming manager is what we should look for next though. Not someone necessarily with Premier League experience because look where that's got us!

Â