The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Not sure the level of manager we could attract from this point on.

As Philthevillain says, a decent up and coming manager, from the Championship maybe. We need to take a chance, but given Lerner's track record, the next step on the descent to Hell after McLeish will probably be Trevor Francis, followed a year later by Barry Fry.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What 'level' would you like?

A genuine question, because it is so difficult to define what is a good manager.

Houllier was far and away the most successful and qualified manager that we have ever hired, but during his short tenure it didn't look like it would work out with him, largely because he was such an enormous prick when we went to Liverpool, and 'lost' the supporters. At least he was given a chance in the first place though.

So it's unlikely that we will hire a manager of that level under the present circumstances, but we can be sure that someone from 'the rest' will want the job.

To be honest I would quite like Lambert, even Moyes who we were heavily linked with in the summer. Not sure either of those two would come to us, but if you are looking for examples from me there's two

A Gus Poyet type?

So you answered the question before I asked it-I think that they should give you the job :D

No I speculated afer Risso's post

As to giving me the job, I wouldn't take it as I want a club with ambition and resources to fulfill my ambitions. I am a genuine chequebook manager ;-)

What 'level' would you like?

A genuine question, because it is so difficult to define what is a good manager.

Houllier was far and away the most successful and qualified manager that we have ever hired, but during his short tenure it didn't look like it would work out with him, largely because he was such an enormous prick when we went to Liverpool, and 'lost' the supporters. At least he was given a chance in the first place though.

So it's unlikely that we will hire a manager of that level under the present circumstances, but we can be sure that someone from 'the rest' will want the job.

Houllier should never have been given the job. He may have been successful in the past, but not many managers come back after a period out of the game and are successful. I mean, George Graham is younger than Alex Ferguson, has league titles, FA Cups and European cups on his CV, but I don't think anybody would be delighted if his name was mentioned.*

*Under usual circumstances at least. Following McLeish, just about anybody would have an extended honeymoon period!

We won't get Moyes because the club told us they wouldn't poach someone who was already employed....oh wait a minute - McEck!

I'm told we DID approach him last summer, but like most managers when told what they job involved thought better of it

As much as I don't rate him, at least McLeish had the balls to take the job on knowing he'd be left floudering with no support from the board

We won't get Moyes because the club told us they wouldn't poach someone who was already employed....oh wait a minute - McEck!

I'm told we DID approach him last summer, but like most managers when told what they job involved thought better of it

As much as I don't rate him, at least McLeish had the balls to take the job on knowing he'd be left floudering with no support from the board

I'm sure the fact that he's being paid millions to do it softened the blow...

I really don't get this "he has balls" thing. He's being paid a mint and if ever the board actually wake up and get rid of him for failing so abjectly then he'll get a fat payoff.

Also, I don't think the Villa manager's job is hard compared to some Premier League jobs.

I really don't get this "he has balls" thing. He's being paid a mint and if ever the board actually wake up and get rid of him for failing so abjectly then he'll get a fat payoff.

Exactly - swapping Small Heath in the Championship, with a bankrupt owner for a Premiership team with a not quite so bankrupt owner and getting a pay rise was a bit of a no-brainer really.

its difficult the reserves are so good as is the youth set up - it would be great if kenmc or sid could have taken the reigns but it doesnt appear to be the case. I cant see how ken mc could do a worse job really (well a less entertaining/hopeful/atmospheric job). we just need the atmosphere to grow again but mccleish doesnt have the big ron charm or the ron saunders effect....

Question. Would you take Kenny Mc on for the rest of the season if the board gave him the chop?

Would you feel more confidant about matters on the pitch?

Just a thought

Yes yes yes.

K Mac would at least attack and we wouldn't have to see negative anti-football every game.

Â