The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Like Pelle said I think no one thinks he's the messiah or anything. Most people just feel that he did a good job with Villa finishing 6th three times and did better than the past managers here in the last 15 years.

He wasn't fantastic and he wasn't without his faults (some extremely irritating) but for most Villa fans it was just a fun time to be a Villa fan.

that about sums it up, some exciting times and every transfer window some frustrating times

but at least you knew there would be an end product

the only end product under the ginger clunge will be relegation and stripping out of any decent players as they dont fit in with the GC's footballing ethos of kick it as high and hard in the air as you can and close your eyes and hope it falls in the net.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wasn't fantastic and he wasn't without his faults (some extremely irritating) but for most Villa fans it was just a fun time to be a Villa fan.

I agree with that but the most frustrating thing was that with the resources he had at his disposal he should have done a lot better. It was our best chance for a generation and he blew it. At the time 4th would have been minimum to expect considering the problems some of the big teams were having. It was basically an open goal for a few seasons. We had a team with Heskey in it ffs.

I think the "belief" we had was more to do with the level of investment than anything. If we got in any half decent manager that's not McLeish and Randy started investing heavily again, would people still be saying there's no belief?

Wayhay, we ain't going to be 'trading' according to sky sports with quotes from AMC. Still on the old wage bill reduction project which will go on forever thanks to various people's incompetence.

Exciting time ahead for us villa fans...

Yes.

The board and McLeish made a massive **** up with Jenas. Will they face up to their responsibility? Nope. It's the club what gets punished. Us fans.

Just watched Eck's pre-match (chelsea) press conference. Christ, the guy is as dour and miserable as the football we play and the smog hanging over B6

I know its tough being a PL manager on £3m a year but FFS, smile a bit

for most Villa fans it was just a fun time to be a Villa fan

My thought as well bose.

It is a pity that Randy's 5 year plan did not bring the top 4 place he had sought, that the investment in the team ended when it became clear that top 6 was as good as it was going to get as other clubs had deeper pockets and that having had the Milner cash he had expected to be able to use on players taken off him Martin was unwilling to stay with us having known where this level of under investment was likely to take us. We are now left with one of the very few managers that was prepared to work for the club under such constraints.

Just watched Eck's pre-match (chelsea) press conference. Christ, the guy is as dour and miserable as the football we play and the smog hanging over B6

£3m a year? Sure.

I agree with that but the most frustrating thing was that with the resources he had at his disposal he should have done a lot better. It was our best chance for a generation and he blew it. At the time 4th would have been minimum to expect considering the problems some of the big teams were having. It was basically an open goal for a few seasons. We had a team with Heskey in it ffs.

sigh, this also

we were one of only 3 clubs who were cash rich at the tme MON took over as manager

MOn did a clough and thought he was cleverer than he was in the transfer market by buying failures on the whole and hoping to polish them. a reasonable degree of success matched with supid deals for alot of the players.

at the time when BENT was at spurzz and the january when melt face came in and bought crouch and defeo there were lots of us screaming out for his signature which would have been around the 8million mark

just to rub it in that bit further

heskey was 4 months off a free transfer when we signed him, for £3.5 million

and then gave him a £50k plus per week contract

mother of god

I think the "belief" we had was more to do with the level of investment than anything. If we got in any half decent manager that's not McLeish and Randy started investing heavily again, would people still be saying there's no belief?

This....

I think there's a hell of a lot of managers who could have spent the same money MON spent, but the club would be in a much better state then we are in now.

The MON thing does my head in also, he is regarded as a messiah but he was nothing more than a bloke who could get a Skoda to drive a little bit like Ford Focus for a very shourt time. Big wow.

Not sure anyone has claimed he is the "Messiah", although outside a religious context, I'm not really sure what that is supposed to mean.

Just the best manager we've had for a fair few years who brought a sense of optimism, excitement and achievement that has been woefully lacking in the 2000s/

How about we get quality players who can erm...you know just play ?

Those would be the ones MON brought in or developed at Villa who have been sold off, I guess.

£3m a year? Sure.

Best part of £3million a year yes.

£2.75 million a year.

He is in the top 7 paid managers in the Prem.

We also paid a lot to Blues for him.

He wasn't a cheap appointment.

Those would be the ones MON brought in or developed at Villa who have been sold off, I guess.

Errr, no need for the plural, as I think only Ashley Young actually falls into the category of 'developed' under MON and subsequently 'sold off'.

Cahill, Barry and Milner were already 'developed' before MON got his hands on them. Downing didn't play for him much.

But Young was a good player for the Villa. Not as good as Barry and Milner or, last season at least, as Downing, but he was a good player and MON found him, signed him ahead of West Ham, and developed him, so credit where credit is due.

Errr, no need for the plural, as I think only Ashley Young actually falls into the category of 'developed' under MON and subsequently 'sold off'.

Cahill, Barry and Milner were already 'developed' before MON got his hands on them. Downing didn't play for him much.

But Young was a good player for the Villa. Not as good as Barry and Milner or, last season at least, as Downing, but he was a good player and MON found him, signed him ahead of West Ham, and developed him, so credit where credit is due.

For me, even though Barry had already been with us for several seasons, he very much developed under MON.

It was MON who put Barry in the middle and got him to play to a standard where he became an England regular and eventually sold to Man.City where he now plays regularly-ish, and is seen as a key member of a 'top-two' squad in the Premier Leauge. Something like that would be unthinkable for the player Barry was pre MON.

£3m a year? Sure.

Best part of £3million a year yes.

£2.75 million a year.

He is in the top 7 paid managers in the Prem.

We also paid a lot to Blues for him.

He wasn't a cheap appointment.

I cant believe we are paying this word removed that much money

Barry was being linked with a move to Pompey just before MON joined. Barry is certainly a player that improved under MON. Milner was also a player many thought we'd overpaid for and wasn't getting interest from big clubs.

Does complaining about MoN make our situation better? It seems to be a popular thing to do on VT.

Barry was being linked with a move to Pompey just before MON joined. Barry is certainly a player that improved under MON. Milner was also a player many thought we'd overpaid for and wasn't getting interest from big clubs.

Does complaining about MoN make our situation better? It seems to be a popular thing to do on VT.

Oh I'm sorry, are we only allowed to discuss St Martin in a positive light?

I cant believe we are paying this word removed that much money

What's just as bad is is we are paying Jenas wages despite him being out for the whole season!

Thank Mr Faulkner for that one!!!!

Villa are a joke of a football club these days

Â