The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if Martinez signed a new deal last year? or was that false?
I believe I read that his current contract was considerably improved, but I don't remember reading that he had agreed to extend it. DW said he wanted RM to give him one more season.

I voted that AM will be gone, no more, departed, taken a hike, deceased, a disturbing historical footnote .... I'm 100% convinced .... yippeeee!!!!

voted yes in the poll as I usually never vote for a winner and thus wish to not be right here either. Inspirational logic. Also, defence mechanism, I won't believe he's gone until it actually happens.

Giving up the money you're owed from a contract you signed (regardless of whether you earned it) by resigning has no bearing on whether you're a "nice genuine bloke". Now, I'm sure he's not short of a bob or two, but who among us would give up a large sum of money? No doubt he is thinking of his family and their future, which takes precedent.

Do I think he's a nob for seemingly not taking his share of the responsibility for our season? Absolutely. Do I think he comes across as a nob outside of football and work? Not particularly, and everyone who has written an article I've read that say they have met him claim he is a nice guy. There are plenty of people who are different at work than they are outside of it.

Incidentally, I voted that I don't think he will be here and I hope I'm right.

I think he'll go. I don't think he'll walk - I think he'll want the pay off, particularly as he's unlikely to find a decent job in football management any time soon.

Incidentally, not many managers leave Villa Park with bright futures do they?

Well, I hope he's gone, but I'm going to convince myself that he'll be here next season, so when he does get sacked, it'll be a very welcome bonus.... There is logic to my thinking, honest....

Giving up the money you're owed from a contract you signed (regardless of whether you earned it) by resigning has no bearing on whether you're a "nice genuine bloke". Now, I'm sure he's not short of a bob or two, but who among us would give up a large sum of money? No doubt he is thinking of his family and their future, which takes precedent.

Do I think he's a nob for seemingly not taking his share of the responsibility for our season? Absolutely. Do I think he comes across as a nob outside of football and work? Not particularly, and everyone who has written an article I've read that say they have met him claim he is a nice guy. There are plenty of people who are different at work than they are outside of it.

Incidentally, I voted that I don't think he will be here and I hope I'm right.

But at the same time by not resigning he's forcing Randy, and by extension us the fans, to pay millions of pounds for him to leave.

Also he's put us fans through a lot of pain and suffering this season and dragged the club through the mud. If he had an ounce of decency he'd admit at least partial responsibility for this and end all this pain and suffering by resigning.

As someone pointed out recently, there has never been any indication of what Randy Lerner is thinking, at any point of his tenure.

I had the feeling last week that it was all sorted out prior to the Spurs game, and he would be gone. As time has worn on, and putting myself in Mr Lerner's shoes, i would think that there is little point in changing the manager, so i have changed my view and think that he will be here.

I've thought for months that he'd be here until at least Christmas. After the Bolton game I was sure he'd be sacked once the season ended. Now I'm dreading that he won't be sacked. As others have stated maybe McLeish's interviews are now a game of cat and mouse with Lerner regarding his severance pay.

If Lerner backs McLeish in the summer I can't see him sacking him quickly if the season is as crap as expected. I'm glad there's a poll but won't read too much into it as the strange world of internet football forums often has no basis in reality.

As someone pointed out recently, there has never been any indication of what Randy Lerner is thinking, at any point of his tenure.

I had the feeling last week that it was all sorted out prior to the Spurs game, and he would be gone. As time has worn on, and putting myself in Mr Lerner's shoes, i would think that there is little point in changing the manager, so i have changed my view and think that he will be here.

Why do you think there's little point changing?

This is not knee jerk based on one result and I am not talking about now but if we continue to perform badly, suffer a run of defeats between now and end October the pressure will really be on Mcleish and Lerner, the reaction to the last five games and the result last night shows that.

But can the club even afford to get rid of him?

It would be looking for our 6th manager in just over a year

It would be asking Randy to make a decent managerial appointment when he has singularly failed so far

It would be thinking we could even attract someone better than Mcleish and we seem to be going backwards on that front

It would also mean compensation to Mcleish can we even afford that money to pay him

It may even mean compo to a club for their manager although I am not holding my breath as I guess we will go for another out of work manager.

So I think we are actually stuck with Mcleish cant see him going anywhere soon.

We have not recruited 6 managers in just over a year……Please deal in FACTS.

Lerner has got it wrong twice. I am sure this is something he now accepts. Making a mistake and refusing to fix it is making another mistake and Randy will do this every day he leaves AML in position after Norwich. It’s certain that we need to reform the football side of the club, especially managerial recruitment, managers and players contracts and scouting.

I am sure Randy will address this asap.

The financial ramifications of sacking AML must be balanced with those of keeping him. Falling attendances, lost revenue from sponsors and the risk of relegation far outweigh the costs of his payoff and the recruitment of an able manager.

Finally I find it hard to imagine a worse appointment than AML.

You could argue, if Lerner changes the manager, the players have won

Yes change the manager but there is a hardcore of trouble makers that need breaking up first IMHO

Dealing with this has to be the priority, otherwise you will have a new manager walking into the same problem

It would be looking for our 6th manager in just over a year

We have not recruited 6 managers in just over a year……Please deal in FACTS.

Then again Richard didn't say we had recruited 6 managers in just over a year, he said we're looking for our sixth manager in just over a year, timewise, he's stretching it a bit but...

MON, KMac, GH, GMc, AMc & ?

Because whatever the owner does, it will be wrong.

He has ridden the storm and while keeping McLeish won't bring too much sunshine, we will have a better season next year.

Changing the manager will only stoke up the criticism further, particularly if a new manager has a bad start to next season.

I think it's a closer call than it should be.

He should go, obviously. He's failed. He's not up to the job.

Yes it's been difficult for him to do "well", with injuries, illness, and not the level of finance afforded to predecessors, but he's still been found desperately wanting in many respects. Appalling football, negative tactics, playing for small defeats from the off, a team that is made up of 11 strangers who can't pass the ball to each other, can't defend corners, can't score from corners, can't create chances and can't take chances, mostly. Dire. Unwanted by all but about 3 fans.

The reason it'll be a closer call than it should be is that the board will have made commitents to him they'll be reluctant to break, he'll not walk voluntarily for about a million or so reasons (and nor would I, to be fair, were I in his position).

Everything screams "sack him", but recent decision making by the board re managers doesn't inspire me with confidence that they won't make the same mistake as Blackburn did with Kean and keep an ill suited manager when he should on football reasons be long gone.

Because whatever the owner does, it will be wrong.

He has ridden the storm and while keeping McLeish won't bring too much sunshine, we will have a better season next year.

Changing the manager will only stoke up the criticism further, particularly if a new manager has a bad start to next season.

I'm not so sure has has ridden the storm. The longer this goes on the more vocal fans will get in their opposition to McLeish and Lerner.

How would changing manager bring further criticism? Everyone wants McLeish gone. Keeping him is what will stoke up criticism further.

Finally I find it hard to imagine a worse appointment than AML.

Mick McArthy, Neil Warnock & Neil Lennon spring to mind. Although most likely we would end up with a low mid table plodder like Bruce or Big Sam.

Dont mind me I am just going to go away and cry a bit now at just how low our ambition has become.

edit: Oh and I hate to say it, but at the end of the season his playing for small defeats kept our goal difference down which ended up being important.

Â