Watches

Risso

This watch thread has led to a bit of a revelation for me.

I found out that the watch I thought was pretty good and worth the most is worth the least, and the watch I thought was worthless is actually worth over a hundred quid.

Not exactly treasure but worth knowing.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 1

Bang, right on budget and in London the Manual wind 8 day Portofino

http://www.jamesedition.com/watches/iwc/portofino/stainless-steel-hand-wound-8-day-menand39;s-for-sale-746710

Though I understand if the 45mm is too big for your wrist. But this is the IWC to get. 

45mm is going to be a beast for somebody who finds 42mm too big.

I don't get how 42mm can be too big. I've a 46mm Navi World and I've 6.75 inch wrists which would be pretty skinny wrists in fairness. Each to their own of course.

I suppose we can give advice if we know what he's looking for. It's hard to recommend a watch otherwise. I'm guessing he's looking for an all rounder daily driver that looks good with  a suit or a T shirt.

Next we need to think of complications, I'd imagine a date would be required, but will he need a chronograph? Or would he be better with a dual time? Does he need any complications at all or just for the sporty aesthetics alone. 

It's hard to justify IWC over JLC given the budget. I've owned both a Portuguese and a JLC Master Chrono and the gulf in quality is noticeable. There's a reason people say of JLC, Patek quality for Rolex prices. 

But if no complication is needed bar date we can look at Rolex, Glaschutte, Zenith maybe. 

• Like 1

Risso you owned / own a Navitimer don't you? I'm feeling my Navi World is a bit too big now all of a sudden, it's sort of creeped up on me. I still love it, it's my favourite watch but not my favourite to wear. That honour falls on the Calatrava.

I'm thinking of doing a switch to the Navi 01 as it's smaller thinner case and will be much more collectable as it's the first ever in house Breitling movement.

What Navi did you have?

Anyone got any advice about where to buy and where not?

What about on-line?

If you want to buy new, use iconic watches or Swiss watches direct. Both have physical stores in UK.

Also Chrono 24 is a site that is full of authorised dealers in Europe and the US. They are very good also. I've bought watches via both.

Ebay is also a place to get a watch too as long as it's agreed to do face to face and in cash.

• Like 1

Risso you owned / own a Navitimer don't you? I'm feeling my Navi World is a bit too big now all of a sudden, it's sort of creeped up on me. I still love it, it's my favourite watch but not my favourite to wear. That honour falls on the Calatrava.

I'm thinking of doing a switch to the Navi 01 as it's smaller thinner case and will be much more collectable as it's the first ever in house Breitling movement.

What Navi did you have?

I've got a Navitimer World as well, same as you with the ETA movement.  It's in the departure lounge marked "move on" I'm afraid.  I've got my eye on a few interesting pieces at the moment, will let you know if any come off!

Oh and there's a Geroge Daniels coming up for auction at Bonhams soon, if you've got £120Kish hiding down the back of the sofa!

I don't want to know how much my last watch cost me.

Surely you know?!

doh!, meant you.

You don't want us to know?!  Why?

I don't want to know how much my last watch cost me.

Surely you know?!

doh!, meant you.

You don't want us to know?!  Why?

Good point, have a look back a page or two to see my grail, you really don't want to know what car I could have got instead of that!!!  :o

We love watches so just tell us what watch it is and post a pic  ;)

Edited by CVByrne

One thing about watch fanciers is that they will almost certainly be watch spotters.

Even myself, after only reading these pages for a few days, had to pause Gravity to see what watch Clooney was wearing (Omega Speedmaster), so you guys must notice who wears what.

So dish the dirt.

What watch does Randy wear?

Which footballer was seen with the best watch?

Knock yourself out.

Yep I've paused an episode of Modern Family to see what Rolex Jay was wearing. It was the Milgauss GV.

Easy to spot Subs, especially the Hulk or an LV. So common. But I can now spot which is a Sea Dweller from a Sub and a Sub from a Ceramic Sub.

Clarkson always wears his Planet Ocean in top gear.

The easiest watch to spot. Is the Daytona because of the polished centre links of the bracelet.

Edited by CVByrne

One thing about watch fanciers is that they will almost certainly be watch spotters.

Even myself, after only reading these pages for a few days, had to pause Gravity to see what watch Clooney was wearing (Omega Speedmaster), so you guys must notice who wears what.

Good bit of product placement that, as Omega are famous for the Moon watches.

As for watch spotting, it looked like Larry Ellison was wearing a 600K Richard Mille "Nadal" watch when he was linked in the main thread. With Premier League footballers and managers, a lot of them seem to go for a Hublot, which in my opinion are (mostly) both tacky and shit.  The Chelsea players were all given customised Rolex Daytonas when they won the Champions League.  They'll be worth an absolute fortune in years to come.

Edited by Risso

Good bit of product placement that, as Omega are famous for the Moon watches.

As for watch spotting, it looked like Larry Ellison was wearing a 600K Richard Mille "Nadal" watch when he was linked in the main thread. With Premier League footballers and managers, a lot of them seem to go for a Hublot, which in my opinion are (mostly) both tacky and shit.  The Chelsea players were all given customised Rolex Daytonas when they won the Champions League.  They'll be worth an absolute fortune in years to come.

Excellent!  :)

Â