Watches

Risso

I love how Omega have the Moon watch, when the first watch worn by an Astronaut was a Heuer that's in the Space Museum now. 

Ahem.  Think you'll find it was Gagarin's Sturmanskie......

edit - anyway, Omega were the first watch on the moon, hence the name.  Nothing to stop Tag Heuer launching a "first Swiss watch in Space" line! :)

Edited by Risso

Yep I've paused an episode of Modern Family to see what Rolex Jay was wearing. It was the Milgauss GV.

Easy to spot Subs, especially the Hulk or an LV. So common. But I can now spot which is a Sea Dweller from a Sub and a Sub from a Ceramic Sub.

Clarkson always wears his Planet Ocean in top gear.

The easiest watch to spot. Is the Daytona because of the polished centre links of the bracelet.

And people say that plane spotters are geeky ;)

I don't get how 42mm can be too big. I've a 46mm Navi World and I've 6.75 inch wrists which would be pretty skinny wrists in fairness. Each to their own of course.

I suppose we can give advice if we know what he's looking for. It's hard to recommend a watch otherwise. I'm guessing he's looking for an all rounder daily driver that looks good with  a suit or a T shirt.

Next we need to think of complications, I'd imagine a date would be required, but will he need a chronograph? Or would he be better with a dual time? Does he need any complications at all or just for the sporty aesthetics alone. 

It's hard to justify IWC over JLC given the budget. I've owned both a Portuguese and a JLC Master Chrono and the gulf in quality is noticeable. There's a reason people say of JLC, Patek quality for Rolex prices. 

But if no complication is needed bar date we can look at Rolex, Glaschutte, Zenith maybe.

Good advice.

You have me thinking!

I love how Omega have the Moon watch, when the first watch worn by an Astronaut was a Heuer that's in the Space Museum now. 

edit - anyway, Omega were the first watch on the moon, hence the name.  Nothing to stop Tag Heuer launching a "first Swiss watch in Space" line! :)

I said Astro not Cosmo  :rolleyes:

Also do not sully Heuer with that Tag nonsense. Heuer were a great watchmaking house prior to the TAG aquisition, then the Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy conglomerate, drinks and purse makers taking them over and sticking Seiko movements in their watches!!

I have no problem with Seiko, one of the most accurate movements you'll get from an auto. But Heuer....? Gone is the name, the skill, the talent. 

/rant

I love the modern McQueen though. Just couldn't get on with the sullied legacy though. Omega taken over by Swatch I've no problem with, Swiss watches staying swiss. Same way JLC were aquired by swiss company and left independent when they were taken over. 

Edited by CVByrne

I've been looking at watches recently and I have to admit that they only one which really appeals to my inner-ten-year-old is the Devon 1 (Steampunk).

If Man City had bought Yaya Toure one of these suckers for his birthday, he would never want to leave.

I said Astro not Cosmo  :rolleyes:

Fair point! :cheers:

I've been looking at watches recently and I have to admit that they only one which really appeals to my inner-ten-year-old is the Devon 1 (Steampunk).

If Man City had bought Yaya Toure one of these suckers for his birthday, he would never want to leave.

$25,000?!?

Also do not sully Heuer with that Tag nonsense. Heuer were a great watchmaking house prior to the TAG aquisition, then the Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy conglomerate, drinks and purse makers taking them over and sticking Seiko movements in their watches!!

I have no problem with Seiko, one of the most accurate movements you'll get from an auto. But Heuer....? Gone is the name, the skill, the talent. 

/rant

I love the modern McQueen though. Just couldn't get on with the sullied legacy though. Omega taken over by Swatch I've no problem with, Swiss watches staying swiss. Same way JLC were aquired by swiss company and left independent when they were taken over. 

Agree with all that.  My point was though that if they did want to do a celebration of their space heritage, it would have to be under the Tag Heuer brand.  Agree about Tag as well, they even had the cheek to say that because they put the parts together in Switzerland, that it's a Swiss movement!  A Nissan made in Sunderland is still a Nissan......

"It’s powered by a lithium polymer rechargeable cell"

Battery. 

You want one of these:

http://monochrome-watches.com/mbf-introduces-a-revamped-hm3-called-megawind/

or one of these:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/mbf-hm2-final-edition-watches-hands-on-sapphire-visions/

or definitely an Azimuth Mr Roboto:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/azimuth-mr-roboto-watch-available-on-james-list/

• Like 1

Vacheron Constantine Kallista 

[Kalla+lune+2007-3.jpg

Get yourself a couple more Pateks and you can put your name down for a Sky Moon Tourbillon.  That and about $1.2m of course!

Agree with all that.  My point was though that if they did want to do a celebration of their space heritage, it would have to be under the Tag Heuer brand.  Agree about Tag as well, they even had the cheek to say that because they put the parts together in Switzerland, that it's a Swiss movement!  A Nissan made in Sunderland is still a Nissan......

Exactly, calling it the 1887 in house movement was disgraceful. In f**king house!! It was a TC78 from Seiko. They are liars and despite making a couple of nice pieces I wouldn't own them again. Pretending legacy and pretending talented horology. 

Then when they were caught out as liars the CEO says this load of bullshit. 

“The origin of the patent was not in the original press release we sent out on the 1887, so the first thing we did on Monday was to mention that the intellectual property was from Seiko Instruments (SII), which is the engineering company under the Seiko umbrella,” Babin says. “Their prime client in watches is Seiko and in 1997, they developed a patent for a new chronograph. When we decided to launch our own chronograph programme, we looked at all the chronographs on the market and the one from SII was the one that fit our needs the best, especially because it featured an oscillating pinion, an invention by Edouard Heuer in 1887. It was also a perfect match for our existing range of chronographs, between the Dubois Dépraz movement, which was a chronograph module, and the Zeinith 36 movement, which is an integrated chronograph.”

It made sense for TAG Heuer to find an existing, reliable and well-designed chronograph to adapt, as it saved the company years of development time and costs. In acquiring the intellectual properties of the patent from SII, TAG Heuer made sure it could make changes to the patent, improvements that deviate from the patent and make the movement its own.

Edited by CVByrne

/rant

It was surprising to find just how strong opinion is amongst watch collectors about TAG and Heuer.

There is some Aussie on YouTube who has a proper s***-fit about them.

Thanks for explaining. 

As for LV, the price a mate of mine paid for a wallet, was hilarious.

Tag Heuer is basically a Louis Vuitton watch. Marketing by getting Tiger Woods and DiCaprio to do adverts. It's just a fashion brand now, pretending to have some legacy because of Heuer. 

Rolex have marketing, but they have a bedrock of legacy and inhouse movements. When they couldn't mass make a chronograph of good enough quality they bought the movement from Zenith and never pretended to not do that. We've the Zenith Daytona. 

Rolex legacy is as a tool watch. Pan Am asked rolex to make a dual time watch for their pilots and we've the GMT. Divers created the Submariner. Etc.. 

Heuer was famous for chronographs like the Carerra but that thread of legacy is far too sullied now. 

• Like 2

Swatch is Swiss and they make watches. ;) 

They also leave the companies pretty autonomous. They own ETA, Omega, Tissot. 

As for horology, Patek, Breguet & LeCoultre are probably the three finest watch makers. Breguet invented the Tourbillon. 

But my favourite complication is LeCoultres Memovox

Swatch is Swiss and they make watches. ;)

They also leave the companies pretty autonomous. They own ETA, Omega, Tissot. 

As for horology, Patek, Breguet & LeCoultre are probably the three finest watch makers. Breguet invented the Tourbillon. 

But my favourite complication is LeCoultres Memovox

I better get on with saving up my twenty-grand then; that is, after I've looked up 'LeCoultres Memovox'.  :) 

A LeCoultre Memovox isn't 20 grand unless you're looking for one of the originals. The Master Memovox is same price as my old Master Chronograph. £7k mark and pick one up for nearer 4k used. 

Tag Heuer is basically a Louis Vuitton watch. Marketing by getting Tiger Woods and DiCaprio to do adverts. It's just a fashion brand now, pretending to have some legacy because of Heuer. 

To follow on from this, Zenith were also aquired by Louis Vuitton but they were left to run independently and of course have always used their own in house movements. 

Tag = no, Zenith = yes. 

Â