GTA 5

Genie

The only thing I agree with in that is the San Andreas bit. All the haircuts and getting dressed and eating and going to the gym and all that made that game really tedious.

There's room in games for that sort of thing, but at a minimal level. I like the way RDR handled the outfits, where certain outfits have certain benefits.

So if I'm thinking of getting a next gen console - what's the deal with this game?!

I'm only a casual gamer with a 360 at the moment but am tempted by the new PlayStation. What should I do?!

What sorts of games do you play? If you're like me and just play COD, Fifa and Assassins Creed then go for either, probs easier to keep the Xbox though as you already have a 'gamer tag' etc. I started off on playstation then switched to the xbox because most of my mates were all playing Halo and then Gears of war which I wanted to join in on. (Add gears of war to my list above actually). So I plan on getting the Xbox One eventually if the price drops slightly.

Ultimately, I'm sure there are so many arguments both for and against for both consoles. It really does just come down to personal preference though. What do YOU want to do?

I like my Xbox now.  And I've got a spare Live code (the Mrs got it me for Chrimbo and I didn't need it as I had one) - but I'm not sure if that'll still work on the new system.

I've just read a lot of anti-Xbox stuff online (and it's more expensive), and as I'm really only playing FIFA these days (loved RDR though) I'm not into it all enough to make an informed decision.

You won't have to do it, much like you didn't have to go to the gym and get hair cuts and all the other shit you didn't have to do in San Andreas.. 

It's just something that you'll get a 2-5 minute tutorial to do in the game, and you can do it if you want.

They only put little things like that in to keep the game interesting once you've finished it... unless you're the kind of guy who loved to go bowling? 

The more they put in it, regardless of how small or pointless you may think it is, the better. 

You won't have to do it, much like you didn't have to go to the gym and get hair cuts and all the other shit you didn't have to do in San Andreas.. 

It's just something that you'll get a 2-5 minute tutorial to do in the game, and you can do it if you want.

They only put little things like that in to keep the game interesting once you've finished it... unless you're the kind of guy who loved to go bowling? 

The more they put in it, regardless of how small or pointless you may think it is, the better. 

Well no, they could have put more of the stuff in that people actually want to play. 

It looks gorgeous and if you're right that I can avoid all of that nonsense and not be penalised then I'll certainly be playing it. I'll be playing it anyway, I always do, it just looks to my unsophisticated eyes a little overdone. 

SELL! Nope, sorry DDID, it's been confirmed by Rockstar that you have to do stock trading, it's not optional. Sorry. Apparently it ties in very closely to the main story arc. It's not too bad though, you only have to do it for a couple of hour, real time. BUY!

What might interest you is that they've allowed more options as to the sexuality of your character - you can choose straight, gay, bi, and - yep, you guesssed it - dog f****r.

Edited by hogso

I'm swaying towards DDID's point of view.

It looks to me like this is either going to be incredible or all that extra stuff is going to be too overcomplicated.

Even the 3 protagonists I'm not sure about.

My opinion on San Andreas was all that extra shit like HAVING to dress and HAVING to go to the gym and HAVING to eat took away from the game and it put me off.

I felt GTA IV cut back enough of that to make any extra stuff in the game fun and not a chore. Most of it was optional and any extra could be done seldom enough to keep it fun.

I'm worried that this has swung back towards over complication.

I hope I'm wrong. And I'll definitely be buying it either way. But that gameplay trailer, to be honest, was half impressive and half worrying, imo.

I'm swaying towards DDID's point of view.

It looks to me like this is either going to be incredible or all that extra stuff is going to be too overcomplicated.

My opinion on San Andreas was all that extra shit like HAVING to dress and HAVING to go to the gym and HAVING to eat took away from the game and it put me off.

I felt GTA IV cut back enough of that to make any extra stuff in the game fun and not a chore. Most of it was optional and any extra could be done seldom enough to keep it fun.

I'm worried that this has swung back towards over complication.

I hope I'm wrong. And I'll definitely be buying it either way. But that gameplay trailer, to be honest, was half impressive and half worrying, imo.

commandowrong.gif

• Like 2

I found the constant calls from "friends" in GTA IV far more annoying than anything in GTA: SA.

But you could ignore them most of the time.

Whereas in SA, unless I'm remembering wrongly, there was loads of stuff like eating and going to the gym and stuff that you HAD to do, and none of it was fun.

All the extra stuff is fine if it's all optional. I'm fully behind it. My worry from that trailer is there will be too much that you have to do.

I think that is the best bit because my biggest problem with GTA IV is that Nico's narrative didn't match the gameplay.  He was constantly trying to get out of the criminal underworld yet because Rockstar wanted a 30 hour game you kept being given missions which seemed like something Nico wouldn't do.   If you can have multiple protagonists then you can do more with the story without stuff feeling out of character or like padding.  Just look at a show like Game of Thrones which does it to great effect. 

I think that is the best bit because my biggest problem with GTA IV is that Nico's narrative didn't match the gameplay.  He was constantly trying to get out of the criminal underworld yet because Rockstar wanted a 30 hour game you kept being given missions which seemed like something Nico wouldn't do.   If you can have multiple protagonists then you can do more with the story without stuff feeling out of character or like padding.  Just look at a show like Game of Thrones which does it to great effect. 

Aye, it's not so much the three different characters' storylines, it's how they'll interact on missions where you're playing as all three.

The storyline bit is fine. It's only like GTA IV + BOGT + TLAD (but obviously a more even balance) which was all great.

I just have this vision of having to do missions over and over because you didn't switch from one guy to another for a particular bit when you should have.

I'm sure my worry is irrational and it'll be done well. But I couldn't help thinking that when I watched that trailer.

San Andreas is still the only GTA game I didn't play to completion. I think it went down hill rapidly in 'Vegas' and the least said about that bloody miniature helicopter mission the better...

Â