• Petrov
    • Delph
    • N'Zogbia
    • Collins
    • Dunne
    • Warnock
    • Given

Solid.

First half was pretty dour stuff, first 20mins of the second half we dominated and were unlucky not to score. Wolves never looked like they were going to score and we only really look like we could during those 20 minutes in the second half. We were neither rubbish or disappointing we were just dull and uninspiring.

I'm not sure what people are expecting though? We are, as a club, aiming for a midtable finish and everything I have seen so far suggests that is what we will get.

Given 7: Nothing to do really, decent save from Hunt's header.

Herd 8: MOTM Got no protection from N'Zogbia but kept Jarvis in his pocket so comfortably he was subbed. Also offered decent passing and crossing going forward (more than N'Zog in 7).

Warnock 6: Solid enough at the back but not much going forward.

Dunne 7: Dominant in the air

Collins 6: Solid

Petrov 7: Moved the ball about well, some good forward looking passes. Also offered some protection for Herd.

Delph 7: Decent passing and tidy in the middle

N'Zogbia 4: Refuses to run for the byline, never looks to cross, never looks up and offers zero service to Bent. Every time he had the ball in a decent posistion out wide he wasted it by running inside into blind alleys. Needs to improve quickly as at the moment Albirhgton, Ireland and Bannan should all be ahead of him.

Gabby 7.5: Lively outlet that Wolves often doubled up on, clearly had the defence worried.

Heskey 7: Looking for scraps up front, did what he does.

Bent 6: Can't do anything without service. Had to come increasingly deep second half to look for the ball.

Whilst N'Zogbia seems to be far from match fit, I thought we actually lost momentum after he came off today.

We are desperate for another winger. If we had Jarvis on the right...

I gave in after this. Jarvis who couldnt beat Chris Herd today despite Wolves targeting him throughout the game? He had a spell of a couple of months last year when he was good (Jarvis) and since his England call up has been dross. No thanks

Jarvis who got a goal and an assist last week, and who has been excellent this season up to today. I think you have to give credit to Herd for keeping him quiet because he's a good player.

Considering that within 2 minutes of moving infield Barry Bannan almost grabbed an assist, he absolutely has to start in the no. 10 role against Everton. Thought Herd was excellent at keeping Jarvis, who has been a real worry, out of the match. Gabby was our dangerman throughout, and N'Zogbia had a few decent runs, though his shooting and final balls were poor, as were his set piece deliveries.

McLeish just missed getting it right by about 10 minutes, but another clean sheet and good defensive organization is a wonderful platform from which to build.

Given 7: Nothing to do really, decent save from Hunt's header.

Herd 8: MOTM Got no protection from N'Zogbia but kept Jarvis in his pocket so comfortably he was subbed. Also offered decent passing and crossing going forward (more than N'Zog in 7).

Warnock 6: Solid enough at the back but not much going forward.

Dunne 7: Dominant in the air

Collins 6: Solid

Petrov 7: Moved the ball about well, some good forward looking passes. Also offered some protection for Herd.

Delph 7: Decent passing and tidy in the middle

N'Zogbia 4: Refuses to run for the byline, never looks to cross, never looks up and offers zero service to Bent. Every time he had the ball in a decent posistion out wide he wasted it by running inside into blind alleys. Needs to improve quickly as at the moment Albirhgton, Ireland and Bannan should all be ahead of him.

Gabby 7.5: Lively outlet that Wolves often doubled up on, clearly had the defence worried.

Heskey 7: Looking for scraps up front, did what he does.

Bent 6: Can't do anything without service. Had to come increasingly deep second half to look for the ball.

Whilst N'Zogbia seems to be far from match fit, I thought we actually lost momentum after he came off today.

We did loose impetus towards the end, but I don't think that was down to N'Zogbia going off.

We are desperate for another winger. If we had Jarvis on the right...

I gave in after this. Jarvis who couldnt beat Chris Herd today despite Wolves targeting him throughout the game? He had a spell of a couple of months last year when he was good (Jarvis) and since his England call up has been dross. No thanks

Jarvis who got a goal and an assist last week, and who has been excellent this season up to today. I think you have to give credit to Herd for keeping him quiet because he's a good player.

Still wouldnt have him overhyped plays well at home but never shows up away according to the wolves fans i watched the game with and low and behold he didnt turn up today. Not worth the money theyd want.

I was about to have a rant on here until I read some of the more balanced posters' views. Some absolute idiots on the first couple of pages who would do well to 'support' someone else.

I thought we battled well, Wolves with their tails up were hard working and committed. They gave us very little space or time on the ball today and we did well to create a lot of chances for half an hour or so in the second half. Bit unlucky not to have won but I still see a lot of positives. I put Delph as MOTM as I thought he had a good game. Maybe Gabby slightly shaded it as he was excellent and continues to improve as a left-sided forward.

Very frustrating!!!

Never really looked like conceding which was good. I thought Herd played very well. Dunne had a decent game aswell. I thought Delph was shit overall. He was too sloppy for my liking today! Petrov does my head in. He was getting into some decent forward positions but then it's like he hasn't got a clue what to do with it so instead of trying to put Bent through or play Gabby or N'Zogbia in down the wing he'll either play a backwards or square pass or scuff shots wide. I really don't see what positive Heskey has on being in the starting line up in this formation!?! I'd rather see Albrighton, Bannan or Ireland there.

The substitutions came too late in the game. N'Zogbia should have stayed on and it should have been Heskey to come off instead. The attendance was a joke aswell. I didn't want McLeish but I've dealt with it and accepted it. Get behind the team for **** sake! It's embarrassing to see Villa Park that empty for a league game regardless of kick off time, tv coverage, support for the manager etc!

The only player that impressed me was Gabby, he's taking people on and beating them, convincingly. Long may his skill and pace continue!

Have to say though the rest of the game was well boring. We should have taken our chances because at the end of the day you can create chance after chance and if you don't score you can still lose, luckily our defence was as solid as ever. Herd did well too but my gawd did he almost cost us the game!

As for the fans, yes the number was low, very low. Actually pretty crap but the atmosphere was noise non-stop, start to finish. Holte end (K4 at least) were loud all the time this game, make no mistake about that. As for the people that didn't turn up...I'm disappointed majorly.

A smaller attendance for a local derby against Wolves than in the opening game against Blackburn just goes to show how low Lerner has dragged this club's aspirations in such a short space of time.

Last weeks win against Blackburn was the same false dawn as last seasons opening day win against West Ham (both of them are shit and relegation fodder).

Today's football was boring and clueless just like it was under MON. No wonder the SHA fans moaned about McLeish if this is the sort of shit we can expect at every home game.

Wolves looked like the home team once Nzogbia went off and Villa reverted to the shit that they played in the first half.

Very disappointing and doesn't fill me with confidence.

We didn't play bad imo, AML is doing quite a good job.

Gabby and Delph and the newbie Herd were particularly good.

But Heskey behind Bent is useless and so Warnock on the left.

And it's a pity to see SuperMark and BB on the bench.

So, in order to gain a bit of effectiveness and creativity, I'd try this formation:

Given

Herd - Collins - Clark - N'Zogbia

Albrighton - Bannan - Agbonlahor

Bent

played well for 15 mins at the start of the second half, other than that it was fairly poor, and they were in the ascendency for the last ten mins without creating anything

think we're going to have to get used to 0-0's this season

bent had zero service

think nzogbia was alright, contributed some of our most dangerous moments

heskey worked hard, won a few headers BUT IS NEVER AN ATTACKING MIDFIELDER

delph needs to stop diving in, booked after 5 mins and to be fair did fine for the rest of the game without chancing a red card, but if he keeps diving in as he has done this season it wont be long til he sees a red

petrov is too slow at times - dont get me wrong, a lot of the time getting a foot on it and slowing down the play is exactly what we need, but there are a few occassions in each game where we need him to quicken it up and he doesnt appear capable of it

herd was very lucky not to give a peno away at the end (haven't seen it on the tele yet), was alright other than that tho

gabby played well

subs made no impact whatsoever

all in all i think its going to be a long season with many games similar to this

I thought we just about edged the first half and then dominated the first half hour of the second half and should have won it then. A bit of a flaky finish evened it up a bit, but I thought we played some decent stuff.

Good - Petrov was really good in the first half and not bad in the second either, I'm a critic but he had a good day today. Gabby continues to look good and has made an excellent start to the season, Dunne looks better than he has done for a while and Delph is starting to look like a solid player.

Bad - Bent is in the wrong team, he's a finisher where we need a grafter and I'm not sure how we'll get the best out of him. No goals today from him or the team is also a potential problem and especially given that it's one of the traditional Eck beating sticks.

Well done - Chris Herd, Wolves picked on him, he didn't get much in the way of support and whilst he has a way to go, he gave a very decent account of himself.

I believe you and i had a disagreement on Bent being able to knock the goals in again this season. I pointed out that his supply line had been cut off and as a consequence he would struggle to score. Not only has his supply line been cut off but we are presently playing a system that means Bent will be on a starvation diet for the rest of the season.

The positive in me hopes that AM is playing this system so that we don't loose too many up until we get a second quality winger in, but the resounding negative with me is that this will in fact be the way we will play for the forseeable future, very much in the same way that AM had Birmingham set up.

Anyway back to the game. I predicted a loss for us today so have to be pleased with the point but we are so one dimensional going forward that, like Birmingham, we will struggle to score against teams in the top two tiers in the Premiership. Even with the pace of N'Zogbia, Bent and Gabby our passing and movement off the ball was too slow and again we are so, so predicable!

N'Zogbia was poor again but it seemed to me that he was just trying too hard to impress and when he settles down then we'll hopefully see the player that he is. Herd was the pick of a very poor bunch for me. Yes he missed more than a few passes but really didn't look out of place in the Premiership.

We simply need more quality in the team!

So, in order to gain a bit of effectiveness and creativity, I'd try this formation:

Given

Bent

I'm not sure we're good enough to start with 9 men!

Given

Bent

Thought we did have 9 men at times today!

I believe you and i had a disagreement on Bent being able to knock the goals in again this season. I pointed out that his supply line had been cut off and as a consequence he would struggle to score. Not only has his supply line been cut off but we are presently playing a system that means Bent will be on a starvation diet for the rest of the season.

The positive in me hopes that AM is playing this system so that we don't loose too many up until we get a second quality winger in, but the resounding negative with me is that this will in fact be the way we will play for the forseeable future, very much in the same way that AM had Birmingham set up.

I'm sorry, I don't remember the disagreement - looks like you're right though.

The one thing for me is that in the immediate I wonder whether a half starved Bent is actually what's best for the team and every solution I've seen so far involves changing the team around to get the best out of him. I'm not against the slightly more radical notion of sticking him on the bench.

When we played wolves last season - we never looked like winning it - today we rarley looked like loosing it - a micrscopic piece of progress !

Big plus point was the defence - who rarley looked liked conceeding - and there seemed a degree of organastion. I thought Herd looked a little edgy defending - but slung in some great crosses going forward.

I thought Delph looked class in the 1 st half - but faded a little in the second. The zog reminded me of tony daly - looks good on the ball - but where is he going with it.

Gabby looked the pick of the forwards.

to me any good team is built from the back - and we seem to have progressed here. However our 2nd 0-0 in 3 games, a team lacking in drive and creativity , and an attendance struggling to get above 30k - and somebody else has said to Randy ......you reap what you sow

Given

Bent

Thought we did have 9 men at times today!

Ehm, I meant:

Given

Delph- Petrov

Bent

Â