• Herd
    • Petrov
    • Delph
    • N'Zogbia
    • Collins
    • Dunne
    • Warnock
    • Given

Sorry, I was pleased with the game...if Hennesey hadn't played like he did we'd have won by a few...

Sure there are a few negatives, Zoggy still isn't up to speed, but he looked ok...

Look at the positives, last season we didn't create much, today, we created chances but we were denied or missed narrowly.

Negativity helps nobody, it's worth dick all...

Sorry, I was pleased with the game...if Hennesey hadn't played like he did we'd have won by a few...

Sure there are a few negatives, Zoggy still isn't up to speed, but he looked ok...

Look at the positives, last season we didn't create much, today, we created chances but we were denied or missed narrowly.

Negativity helps nobody, it's worth dick all...

Just back from the game.

Agree here, we were all over wolves just could'nt get the finish. Im not a great lover of Ireland, but replace Hesky with him please. Hesky at present is woeful, Ireland is a little more creative. If ireland played like he did against Hereford we would have a goal or 2 today for sure.

We are desperate for another winger. If we had Jarvis on the right and N'Zogbia on the left supplying Bent we'll be fine this season.

If anything we could do with playing Gabby on the left and N'Zogbia in place of Heskey.

Let's hope we see a couple of signings before Wednesday.

Also hoping that AMC doesn't bother wasting any money we have on a RB as we will be fine with one of Lichaj, Herd, Cuellar or Beye.

We had plenty of chances to win it today. No point saying we played shit because we didn't. Just need that one or two extra attacking players. Wish people would stop complaining about attendances when they are making no effort to get down there themselves. Fine if you don't have the money or have commitments, but when you just can't be bothered then don't complain.

Wolves are in form right now. I wasn't looking forward to the game today, but a draw was fair i think. Herd Man of the match for me. Gabby also had another good game.

yep, Bent must be wondering what he has got himself into here.

After a strong second half of last season and 3 games of this? Really??

McLeish has said he'll he working on getting better service to Bent and it will take a bit of time. Pre-season is valuable, but no substitute for the real thing.

Anyone that makes a decision on a whole season after 3 games is having a laugh!

Dire performance IMO.

I think we are going to have to get used this,I cannot see AM changing his style anytime soon.

Pretty poor IMO

got in some great positions and did nothing with it didn't use gabby enough and nzogbia looks miles off where I thought he would subs were made too late we had a brilliant 20 mins 2nd half should have made subs as it started to drop not 5 mins after it was gone

herd my motm played really well, gabby and heskey were good too, caught sky talking about heskey at ht while queing for a pie everything was sticking to him

Had enough chances to win it and they did **** all, disappointed not to win.

Given - 6 - Had little to do. Kicking, injured or not, is **** awful.

Herd - 8 MotM - Did very welll defensively and getting forward. Only negative was that he didn't overlap when given the chance a few times.

Collins - 7 - Solid.

Dunne - 7 - Solid.

Warnock - 7 - Impressed me, but still always looks likely to make the odd error.

N'Zogbia - 6 - Does some brilliant stuff, then makes a mess of the easy stuff. Hopefully better to come.

Petorv - 7 - Keeps posession, plays it simple, had some very good forward runs today.

Delph - 5 - Stupid early yellow card, lost the ball is some silly areas, hopefully it was a one off.

Agbonlahor - 7 - Thought he did very well again, looks lively and a goal threat.

Bent - 6 - Didn't have much to do, unlucky with the header late on.

Heskey - 7 - Worked hard, rarely lost the ball, pleased with him again.

Wasn't a particularly great performance, but certainly enough to win the game. But we didn't win so it's going to be labelled as negative, blah, blah.

I thought we just about edged the first half and then dominated the first half hour of the second half and should have won it then. A bit of a flaky finish evened it up a bit, but I thought we played some decent stuff.

Good - Petrov was really good in the first half and not bad in the second either, I'm a critic but he had a good day today. Gabby continues to look good and has made an excellent start to the season, Dunne looks better than he has done for a while and Delph is starting to look like a solid player.

Bad - Bent is in the wrong team, he's a finisher where we need a grafter and I'm not sure how we'll get the best out of him. No goals today from him or the team is also a potential problem and especially given that it's one of the traditional Eck beating sticks.

Well done - Chris Herd, Wolves picked on him, he didn't get much in the way of support and whilst he has a way to go, he gave a very decent account of himself.

Complete lack of width is killing us. Thought we struggled when N'Zogbia went off. He wasn't on top form today but when he went off the threat we had for the whole of the second half just disappeared.

Given: hardly worth rating, had nothing to do.

Herd: really impressive - 8

Dunne: Recapturing the form from his first season - 7.5

Collins: Solid, needs to play it short instead of going direct - 6.5

Warnock: Decent enough, couple of silly mistakes though - 6

Petrov: Nothing special - 6

Delph: Looking more accomplished week on week - 7

Zog: Looked threatening, no real end product though - 6

Heskey: Put a shift in, rarely gave the ball away - 6.5

Bent: Quiet, could have had a couple, but the ball wouldn't fall for me - 6

Gabby: Really good performance, a constant threat - 7.5

Just got back. Reading through this thread it's a shame there only a handful of balanced views rather than just plain slating or the usual people trolling. (I thought we were gonna get battered?).

Anyways attendance was embarrassing, obviously our ambition is a huge factor and so was the kickoff time etc but I can't remember the last time I went down to VP in a league game and there were that many empty seats. When you compare it to last seasons game v Wolves it's strange as we played a whole lot better and we have been in better form.

As for the match is was largely frustrating and nothing different from the last few times Wolves have come down to VP. They pressed us all game without really troubling our back line but there was little space for us to work in. When we did get the space our final ball was often poor or there weren't enough people in the box. It's quite evident that N'Zogbia isn't match fit and I'm hopeful that in time he will be a lot more threatening then he was today. On the other side, I thought Gabby was excellent but was often double marked and struggled to get deliveries into Bent.

The big positive was our backline, Collins and Dunne are certainly back to their best. Both of them beat Doyle and Fletcher to every ball and didn't look as nervy as last season. Although it's early on in the season we look a lot harder to beat and we just need to work on the other end of the pitch. Alongside them I thought Herd was excellent today and sticks two fingers up at some people who say he isn't good enough. I'm not saying he's a good enough to start for us, but players like him are always capable of coming in and doing a job like he did today. I actually felt that he was better then what Luke Young has been so far this season and supported N'Zogbia very well with some excellent crosses in the box. When distributing the ball from the back, he could be better but I felt the midfielders didn't show for the ball enough at times.

Regarding the tactics, I thought we got it right early on and due to the intense pressure of Wolves we had to resort to long ball. The disappointing thing is that we did it too much today, it can be very effective especially when sending balls down the channel but we didn't get the ball down enough to players such as Delph and Petrov which meant we were rather predictable in the end. I also thought that McCarthy made an excellent decision bringing on his two substitutes which pretty much shut out the likes of Gabby, N'Zogbia and Albrighton. Despite Heskey having a good first half he was tiring and I felt that maybe someone such as Ireland should have been brought on to give us a bit more creativity.

Reading some of the posts though, I have to laugh at the people saying we played for the draw. Although we didn't create enough chances again, we dominated possession and on several occasions put the Wolves defence under severe pressure, unfortunately as mentioned before the final ball was either poor or players were inches away from getting on the ends of things. Gabby and Bent in particular came closing to tap ins, unfortunately it wasn't our day.

Overall I'm slightly disappointed, we controlled the play and on another day we could have won, but it's something that has happened for too many years down VP. We do look much more of a unit now though and I think we will have a much better season then last.

MOTM: Dunne

Woot, undefeated!.......

Didn't see the game, but from what I've read it was pretty dire stuff. With Young and Hogg sold, maybe we've got some new signings due? :?

It would've been nice to see what Michael Bradley could have done this season...

Nzogbia is not fit if you ask me, but the only way he will get upto speed is to play. That is what Mcleish is doing and the best from him is yet to come. We never looked like conceding which is a bonus after last year! Gabby is looking good again and its a crying shame we wont spend any money because with one or two additions we could be a very decent team. As it stands we are gonna be bottom half for sure and i can understand why people wont pay to watch that type of football. Category A game on TV with a crap kick off time come on Villa encourage people to come was quoted £25.80 to upgrade an under 8 season ticket to an adults for todays game is it any wonder there are so many empty seats.

Villa are too narrow and will get pulled apart if we play this formation against better sides. Wolves could have moved the ball far better in the first half as they had two against one on our full backs on a regular basis. We did ok defensively as a back five, with Herd getting forward well. AM's substitutions were an answer to Wolves's rather than trying to outdo McCarthy. Heskey should have been off after 70 minutes as he offers us nothing in the hole, failing to get into the box to attack the ball and support Gabby/Bent. Villa have a lack of intent from the middle of the park. Get Charlie boy back out on the left and sing a central midfielder, quickly. Delph and Petrov did ok, but ok means midtable mediocre.

I don't like this formation with the players we have. I'd rather bring a couple in who are actually able to play it.

We are desperate for another winger. If we had Jarvis on the right...

I gave in after this. Jarvis who couldnt beat Chris Herd today despite Wolves targeting him throughout the game? He had a spell of a couple of months last year when he was good (Jarvis) and since his England call up has been dross. No thanks

Nzogbia is not fit if you ask me, but the only way he will get upto speed is to play. That is what Mcleish is doing and the best from him is yet to come. We never looked like conceding which is a bonus after last year! Gabby is looking good again and its a crying shame we wont spend any money because with one or two additions we could be a very decent team. As it stands we are gonna be bottom half for sure and i can understand why people wont pay to watch that type of football. Category A game on TV with a crap kick off time come on Villa encourage people to come was quoted £25.80 to upgrade an under 8 season ticket to an adults for todays game is it any wonder there are so many empty seats.

S-Platt, AMc has said that he will be getting one or two more experienced players in before the end of the transfer window.

Btw, we finished top half last season and Wolves beat us at home. Why do you think we'll be bottom half this season?

Given 7: Nothing to do really, decent save from Hunt's header.

Herd 8: MOTM Got no protection from N'Zogbia but kept Jarvis in his pocket so comfortably he was subbed. Also offered decent passing and crossing going forward (more than N'Zog in 7).

Warnock 6: Solid enough at the back but not much going forward.

Dunne 7: Dominant in the air

Collins 6: Solid

Petrov 7: Moved the ball about well, some good forward looking passes. Also offered some protection for Herd.

Delph 7: Decent passing and tidy in the middle

N'Zogbia 4: Refuses to run for the byline, never looks to cross, never looks up and offers zero service to Bent. Every time he had the ball in a decent posistion out wide he wasted it by running inside into blind alleys. Needs to improve quickly as at the moment Albirhgton, Ireland and Bannan should all be ahead of him.

Gabby 7.5: Lively outlet that Wolves often doubled up on, clearly had the defence worried.

Heskey 7: Looking for scraps up front, did what he does.

Bent 6: Can't do anything without service. Had to come increasingly deep second half to look for the ball.

Â