• Herd
    • Petrov
    • Delph
    • N'Zogbia
    • Collins
    • Dunne
    • Warnock
    • Given

how shit were the wolves fans?! not even close to selling out the past three seasons at vp and don't sing whatsoever during the course of the game. they sang at the final whistle though after the villa fans had left...about the villa...and celebrated as if they'd actually won the league. embarrassing tinpot club.

We had plenty of chances to win it today. No point saying we played shit because we didn't. Just need that one or two extra attacking players. Wish people would stop complaining about attendances when they are making no effort to get down there themselves. Fine if you don't have the money or have commitments, but when you just can't be bothered then don't complain.

Wolves are in form right now. I wasn't looking forward to the game today, but a draw was fair i think. Herd Man of the match for me. Gabby also had another good game.

My sentiments exactly :thumb:

Especially pleased to see Gabby back to his old self.

same lame people will say its great as per normal

i say what i have seen without some childish agenda of defending the club at all costs no matter how much of a prick it makes you look?

Kinda like the same lame people who will moan as per usual with their childish agenda of slating the club at all costs no matter how much of a prick it makes you look?

Bloody hell, some people are going way overboard - we looked solid and Given had one half save to make all game, and we had something like 18 attempts on goal?? After last season where we looked like we could concede at any moment, letting in 1 goal in 3 games, unbeaten......I'm happy with that.

We were good enough to win and played some decent stuff in the second half. Impressed with Gabby, have never liked him out on the wing but last few matches he's been useful out there.

Zog showed glimpses of being the player we expected, looks really rusty though. Very greedy player too, gets his head down and often misses the obvious passes.

Everyone was pretty solid but the football wasn't that eye catching, would have taken a point before the match but i quite disappointed now we didn't take all 3.

We desperately need to start feeding Bent, he looks so isolated and is feeding of real scraps at the moment

i don't understand the Herd love in, i thought he was poor and gave the ball away more than anyone

Dunno what game you were watching.

Seconded. He was great, and up against a great player that normally scores against us.

Bloody hell, some people are going way overboard - we looked solid and Given had one half save to make all game, and we had something like 18 attempts on goal?? After last season where we looked like we could concede at any moment, letting in 1 goal in 3 games, unbeaten......I'm happy with that.

This.

We were good enough to win and played some decent stuff in the second half. Impressed with Gabby, have never liked him out on the wing but last few matches he's been useful out there.

Zog showed glimpses of being the player we expected, looks really rusty though. Very greedy player too, gets his head down and often misses the obvious passes.

Everyone was pretty solid but the football wasn't that eye catching, would have taken a point before the match but i quite disappointed now we didn't take all 3.

We desperately need to start feeding Bent, he looks so isolated and is feeding of real scraps at the moment

And this.

Just got back from that after going to the match then running in a race at Alexander Stadium (which was more entertaining).

I'm not too cross with just a point, Villa played very well second half after a drab first. Wolves looked to put 10 men behind the ball and we currently don't have the nous to break that down.However I'm sure it will come as people like N'Zogbia get stuck in to the season.

I thought Given had nothing to do, the back four played very well and look like a unit again. If anything that will get us an extra 10 points this season as we look very hard to beat now. Going forward we have the problem that we are too narrow and Herd had loads of room today but wasnt used. Heskey got stuck in but plays the easy ball too much and Bent had no service. Although Stan ran his socks off his passing was pretty poor. Delph looked like he wanted to get around but his caution put paid to that, I think he would have been sent off if he wasnt subbed. N'Zog had a few good runs but no end product, Gabby looked lively but Bent was isolated.

The subs had no impact whatsoever, when wee Barry came on Wolves started to worry us, yet they never really tested Given.

I'm sure we'll be able to beat Newcastle and Wigan next time who may allow a little more time on the ball.

Just one final thing - the crowd/support today was a disgrace. I'm sorry if you have really legitimate reasons you don't want to go down, like no money etc, but to get just over 30,000 was really, really poor. I felt embarassed as a fan today especially as its a local derby and I only paid £25 for my ticket.

Nzogbia is not fit if you ask me, but the only way he will get upto speed is to play. That is what Mcleish is doing and the best from him is yet to come. We never looked like conceding which is a bonus after last year! Gabby is looking good again and its a crying shame we wont spend any money because with one or two additions we could be a very decent team. As it stands we are gonna be bottom half for sure and i can understand why people wont pay to watch that type of football. Category A game on TV with a crap kick off time come on Villa encourage people to come was quoted £25.80 to upgrade an under 8 season ticket to an adults for todays game is it any wonder there are so many empty seats.

S-Platt, AMc has said that he will be getting one or two more experienced players in before the end of the transfer window.

Btw, we finished top half last season and Wolves beat us at home. Why do you think we'll be bottom half this season?

Ashley Young and Stewart Downing!

Point was about right, two very mediocre teams trading blows.

Got to feel sorry for Bent, made some great runs and got into some good positions time and again only for the ball to never come. Gabby was lively, Nzog was patchy and looked more interested in making himself look good than benefit the team. Petrov had a strange one at times looking at his best and other moments where he was a complete liability.

Overall we looked solid enough and created some good chances but there were long periods where our play was very slow and predictable.

Poor game.

The team

The back 5 looked comfortable, but the CB's distribution is very weak. Collins is probably the reason McLeish plays Heskey!! I thought Herd looked very good - he has good energy, is good in the air and does a good job wherever he plays - I would love to see him get a chance in CM. I want the full backs to get forward and overlap to support the cutting in wide players BUT they can't because we don't have a central three/sitting two CM'ers that works to allow this.

Delph could be a great player but he was the primary DCM today. This is not his strength - he needs to play in a three man CM with a strong enforcer beside him and a no. 10 in front of him.

Petrov looked better than normal for me but only because he played a different role, leaving the primary defensive duties to Delph. BUT we have better, fitter CM'ers than Stan that could play the role that he tried to play today much better.

I thought the wide players did okay, particularly Gabby. I am just really frustrated that they don't ever switch sides/rotate to give the FBs a different challenge.

Heskey worked his socks off BUT he is not and never will be an attacking CM'er/link striker. No wonder Bent is not getting any supply!!

Bent also worked hard but needs a no. 10 to supply him and needs to build a relationship with NZogbia (as Rodallega did). He made a great diagonal run early on when the Zog cut in and should have slid in a reverse pass to Bent but shot instead.

Bannan should never come on as a right winger and Albie didn't get anywhere near long enough.

The opposition

They looked much more solid with Johnson. They have the same problem as us though - McCarthy wants to fit in Fletcher and Doyle BUT hasn't got good enough CM'ers to just play a two! And O'Hara needs to play further forward for them if they are to win games.

The Ref

Okay BUT how it took him so long to book Stearman for all the holding of Gabby was just beyond me. If he had been booked, as he should have been, H1 then Gabby would have deservedly had a clear run at him H2.

McLeish

As expected, he shows no imagination or inspiration at all. He has sorted out the back 4 BUT hasn't got a clue how to get the best out of his front 6 and what players/formation to use. His substitutions were also too late and pathetic.

Randy Lerner

The attendance today says it all. You alienate the fan base and a number will not come. He has gone from the best Chairman in the league to the worst chairman IMO. Worse than Ellis even because he stretched our expectations initially but has now gone into complete reverse and, at the same time, disrespected the fan base and not even had the decency to come out and explain/apologise!

I didn't renew this year for a combination of reasons of which RL's behaviour and McLeish's appointment were prime reasons. I have wanted to regret it but after watching today's game (had mate's ST as he was on hols) I can say that I don't! :cry:

today wasnt as bad as people are making out. my main criticism is the clear opportunities that were squandered cause we cant shoot straight. gabby and n'zog had at least 2 shots each which didnt hit the target when neither were under any sort of pressure from wolves. and that one from petrov 1st half? seriously? all hes paid to do is kick footballs all day yet couldnt hit the target when he had all the time and space in the world

I do despair sometimes. I don't think we played well particularly, nor did we play poorly, but why are Villa fans so prone to knee-jerk reaction?

One should consider that Alex McLeish is still getting to grips with this squad and it will take time to start playing good football - not that that's really an issue of mine, though I understand those who want it. It's a different system with different individuals and they will take time to gel. The best way to ensure you do start winning matches regularly is to have a strong understanding at the back, and build on that. I have noticed how much we have improved in our marking and covering - last season the likes of Collins were all over the place.

Another thing, and though it shouldn't play a part, it probably does: those who want McLeish to go gung-ho in an attacking sense straight away are the same people who will be screaming for his head when we concede too many goals and lose matches. Give the guy a break, five points is a reasonable return from three games when they are your FIRST three. We will get better, and that will happen with time and patience, especially from the fans.

The poison atmosphere that Houllier had to endure in some games did nothing to help us whatsoever, and if that is recreated this season the same will occur. This was a game against a side full of confidence that have been playing together, for the most part, for a number of seasons. The football and results will improve naturally, and they are hardly going badly.

Instead of this half-empty culture that reigns supreme amongst us Villa fans why don't we look at things a bit more rationally and balanced?

I do despair sometimes. I don't think we played well particularly, nor did we play poorly, but why are Villa fans so prone to knee-jerk reaction?

One should consider that Alex McLeish is still getting to grips with this squad and it will take time to start playing good football - not that that's really an issue of mine, though I understand those who want it. It's a different system with different individuals and they will take time to gel. The best way to ensure you do start winning matches regularly is to have a strong understanding at the back, and build on that. I have noticed how much we have improved in our marking and covering - last season the likes of Collins were all over the place.

Another thing, and though it shouldn't play a part, it probably does: those who want McLeish to go gung-ho in an attacking sense straight away are the same people who will be screaming for his head when we concede too many goals and lose matches. Give the guy a break, five points is a reasonable return from three games when they are your FIRST three. We will get better, and that will happen with time and patience, especially from the fans.

The poison atmosphere that Houllier had to endure in some games did nothing to help us whatsoever, and if that is recreated this season the same will occur. This was a game against a side full of confidence that have been playing together, for the most part, for a number of seasons. The football and results will improve naturally, and they are hardly going badly.

Instead of this half-empty culture that reigns supreme amongst us Villa fans why don't we look at things a bit more rationally and balanced?

Beautiful post, brought a tear to my eye :D

Just one final thing - the crowd/support today was a disgrace. I'm sorry if you have really legitimate reasons you don't want to go down, like no money etc, but to get just over 30,000 was really, really poor. I felt embarassed as a fan today especially as its a local derby and I only paid £25 for my ticket.

This is an entertainment industry, serve that up, sell the best players, remove all ambition and that is what you get.

just like the last 4 or 5 years, if a team comes to VP and is organised and solid in defense, we have no clue how to break them down. its not a problem that has suddenly come about due to mcleish, or selling young and downing. even with young, downing, milner in the team we would play poorly quite often. difference was back then we would somehow nick a goal and we would scrape a result, so the performance was overlooked.

the problem for mcleish is that given where he has come from and his reputation, he cant afford to play poorly at all, and failing to win just compounds it. he hasnt helped himself by continuing to select heskey. the guy is meant to be upwith bent, playing the link role, yet he spends most of his time on the halfway line leaving bent isolated. second half he was a disgrace and just strolled around doing nothing. i refuse to believe that bannan or ireland in that role couldnt be more effective. it took 85 minutes to put in a decent ball for bent, and that was bannan.

nzogbia was good in terms of running at the defence, but his end product was rubbish. not that he was the only one though, our final ball is consistently dire. too many of our players lack a football brain, summed up when petrov had the opportunity to play in bent in the first 15 minutes and chose one of his shit scuffed shots instead. herd was good, and why do our young defenders provide more attacking threat than the seniors. he really attacked corners and forced saves. gabby played well. delph needs to stop the stupid tackles and needs to get more involved going forward. defence is more solid but they are still incapable of making simple passes, and collins' hoofing is annoying.

Spot on!

Can't be bothered to write this out fully as MOTD is imminent;

- it wasn't a poor performance imo. we could easily have had 3 or 4 goals with a bit more quality/luck in the box.

- gabby was very dangerous

- dunne was an absolute monster in the air. last time wolves were at VP Doyle gave us the run-around but didn't get a kick today so credit to the entire defensive unit.

- n'zogbia's lack of effort and awareness defensively is a cause for concern. ward and jarvis had acres of space in the first half because he was completely out of position.

- heskey should never have played the full 90. should have been replaced by bannan or ireland to try and unlock their defence.

- attendance was appauling but atmosphere was very good at times in the second half. wolves' fans were atrocious and made no noise at all despite claiming they were on the verge of becoming the number 1 side in the midlands prior to the game.

Â