• Herd
    • Petrov
    • Delph
    • N'Zogbia
    • Collins
    • Dunne
    • Warnock
    • Given

The game is being replayed right now and I've noticed a few things. Wolves out of possession is basically a 6-2-2. We tried to switch up our play to both wide and through the middle yet nothing. Can't say we didn't try, just Wolves really set themselves up to not lose.

I thought it was a pen at the time but based on the replays I think the balls gone and ward didn't have control, his header had spooned off somewhere and it's momentum more than anything, **** shearer you clearing in the woods formicas is fine but that's not safe to say he can **** off

thought the defence looked good again today. Thought Herd played well. Again the problem is the middle, crying out for two new centre mids and although he played well i thought Heskey tired badly after 60 mins. Most disappointing was the decision to take Zog off for Bannan! Someone talk me through that? Fonz should have come on for Heskey. Major note was the crowd today, that attendance was embarrasing

I am astounded that, after 10 pages of this thread, only two posters have noted the most worrying factor of this new season - the complete lack of width in our team. It is destroying our attacking threat.

There are two factors for this, McLeish's tactics and Randy Lerner's decision to sell two of our best players, both of whom were wingers. The most important player in our team now is Darren Bent and we have to find a way of still utilising the wing to offer him service despite the sales of Young and D*wning. However, in the opening three PL games Bent has had absolutely no service whatsoever, and bar a fortuitist ricochet against Blackburn, would still be looking to open his account.

We are far too narrow, especially on the right side, and it might make us less likely to concede but it is completely nullifying our attacking threat and making Bent seem anonymous. That is the manager’s job to sort out and I hope he does, because we should be trying to build the team around Bent now, not change our style of play to a more central system which starves Darren of the crossed deliveries he thrives on.

A big part of that lack of width is down to Charles N'Zogbia. For the past three weeks I've said, yes he was poor, but he's probably not match fit and will come good etc but there's only so many more weeks I can give that excuse.

We signed him as a winger - why on gods earth is he not playing on the wing? His body language is atrocious, especially for an apparent big name signing, he offers nothing in the way of tracking back and on a number of occasions played us into trouble today because of it, and seems to run like a headless chicken into blind alleys. But, more worryingly, is his complete lack of link up play with Bent and his willingness to always run with the ball into the centre of the park, and not out wide. Why? Watching this from my K4 vantage point made his positional nous (or lack of) all the more frustrating. He looks totally disinterested and today he was taught a lesson in wing play by a squad member, Agbonlahor, who doesn't even play there. I’m very disappointed with his contribution so far and on this initial showing he doesn’t seem to be an equal replacement to Ashley and/or D*wning, let alone both.

We signed him as a winger - why on gods earth is he not playing on the wing? His body language is atrocious, especially for an apparent big name signing, he offers nothing in the way of tracking back and on a number of occasions played us into trouble today because of it, and seems to run like a headless chicken into blind alleys. But, more worryingly, is his complete lack of link up play with Bent and his willingness to always run with the ball into the centre of the park, and not out wide. Why? Watching this from my K4 vantage point made his positional nous (or lack of) all the more frustrating. He looks totally disinterested and today he was taught a lesson in wing play by a squad member, Agbonlahor, who doesn't even play there. I’m very disappointed with his contribution so far and on this initial showing he doesn’t seem to be an equal replacement to Ashley and/or D*wning, let alone both.

Because he is a player known to cut inside, at times play through the middle, a player more concerned with attacking the opponents goal quite directly.

Just look at the videos and games he played at Wigan, he is always cutting inside and drifting centrally with the ball.

I certainly wasn't expecting him to be a player laying goals on a plate to Bent through beating a man and whipping in a cross. That's not his game.

Gabby is showing the pace he always had, but more skill and intelligence than I've seen from him before. Foul him or he'll beat you.

Herd, IMO showed attacking commitment and solid defense, but often gave possession away cheaply.

There is no question the MOTM for Wolves was Hennessey.... that has to say something.

I feel comfortable with the back 5 and with Bent up top. It's the other 5 we're all worried about.

I would like to try Ireland in Heskey's place, and Clark in Petrov's.

I'm not sure how to take this game.

We didn't win though we had the lion share of chances. We kept a clean sheet, our defense once again looking solid and untroubled. If you were to write a manual on how to start a season, it would be a tight and confident defence.

Alex McLeish is also finding his feet, seeing what his players can do and getting them used to his brand of football. The players are looking a little rusty but their effort cannot be questioned. I think both AM and the players need more time before we see the best of them this season.

And yet - there are a couple of things worrying me:

1) Heskey

He gives 110% and works like a trojan, but his spot is not behind Bent. Being on the pitch gives us a target man to hit but that simply encourages the likes of Collins to hoof it to him more often. Despite all his work, he DOES NOT provide anything for Bent to feed off. He even looks like he's not sure what he should be doing. A good example of this is Heskey receiving the ball dead in front just inside the area, then choosing to play a short ball to Bent wide rather than have a pop.

Furthermore, he tends to get in Bent's way (as does Agbonlahor to a lesser degree). Never was this clearer than midway through the second where N'Zogbia turned inside and ran the ball along the edge of the penalty area towards the D. Looking up, he saw Bent, Heskey and Agbonlahor to hit....

... all marked and all within a 3 foot radius of the penalty spot.

We really should have either Ireland or Bannan in that spot so they can link our defensive midfield with our wingers and Bent. It seemed obvious yesterday - which brings me to the next thing bothering me.....

2) Substitutions

Yesterday, AM had a great spell for the first part of the second half. So much so that Wolves were barely in it yet we were unable to unlock their defense. With 25 to go, surely we had to make a substitution to change it up an provide some clearer chances to our forwards - Heskey, in particular, wasn't providing in his role just behind Bent.

Thankfully, a change was made - but it was McCarthy that made a double substitution to change the situation. AM just sat on his hands.

As our grasp loosened, AM finally made a change bringing on Bannan (Yes!) for N'Zogbia (NO!), putting Bannan wide. We now have no width to go with our lack of telling ball through the middle. After a fruitless 10 minutes, we shuffle around a bit to accommodate Albrighton (Yes!) in the place of Delph (NO!) - leaving Heskey in the hole for 90 assist-less minutes.

We now had Bannan playing wide for 10 minutes, then as defensive midfielder for the last 5. Now wonder we spent the final stages of yesterday camped in our own half!

If this is a taste of football under AM, then I fear that what we are currently seeing is less "finding our feet" and more of "what you can expect".

I hope for AM's sake that I'm wrong.

3 pages on and more sane responses are surfacing...thank god!

I love Villa, I love fans of the Villa but some of you need to stop moaning...

It wasn't a poor game...how do I know this? My missus wasn't bored by it and she got bored at the 5-2 Bolton game

FWIW, I think Wolves are going to have a very good season.

That out of the way, I thought we were ok. For a lot of the second half there were glimpses of the passion and desire to win, but then AM did the most bizarre thing and subbed N'Zogbia for BB? OK, he was'nt having a blinder, but when he went the entire momentum of the team changed to pedestrian, which the Wolves saw as the green light to try and snatch the win.

AM's forte is producing a half-decent defence and its showing. We know there is fire-power up front, which sort of speaks for itself, but we're missing width and someone central to run the game with killer passes to the frontmen. Its a problem, a glaringly obvious one at that and won't be missed by anyone in the backroom.

When its sorted, we'll be right. But, like I said before, until the missing pieces are brought in or used, we'll be seeing a lot of these frustrating draws.

Zero creativity from the team. Only to be expected once we have the manager we have and selling the two most creative players in the team

Buy the best striker we have had in years then cut off his supply line. Brilliant

Only a matter of time before Bent looks to move

I think a lot is being read into one game. Take a snap shot back from the Wolves games at Villa Park over the past three seasons and the post match threads would all probably say the same thing.

If anything, this was probably the best we’d played out of all three.

McLeish was within his rights to pick the same side (bar one) that breezed past Blackburn, however, he should have removed Heskey (who wasn’t bad) for Bannan at half time, to up the tempo and spark in the midfield. I’d have taken Delph off too who was ineffectual all game.

That said, we still created plenty second half, up until Mick’s tactical switcharoo that closed the game down.

Mcleish keeps talking up Ireland, so why not give him a chance.

Heskey was anonymous after about 60 minutes so why not shake things up and try something different?

Because he lacks the balls to try go for a win more concerned with not losing,

The subs were puzzling quite frankly. I'd have brought Bannan on for Heskey certainly. Heskey did ok but he could barely stand up after 60 minutes. I thought N'Zogbia's best period was when Elokobi had come on and he had just started to get around him.

Agbonlahor was my MOTM and Herd had a very good second half. We are severely lacking creativity but when you sell your two best players I guess it is to be expected.

At least our defensive problems seem to have been addressed.

Mcleish keeps talking up Ireland, so why not give him a chance.

Heskey was anonymous after about 60 minutes so why not shake things up and try something different?

Because he lacks the balls to try go for a win more concerned with not losing,

Yes, but if he was too attacking and we were getting turned over every week because of it, I'm sure you'd be complaining about that too.

I think a lot is being read into one game. Take a snap shot back from the Wolves games at Villa Park over the past three seasons and the post match threads would all probably say the same thing.

If anything, this was probably the best we’d played out of all three.

McLeish was within his rights to pick the same side (bar one) that breezed past Blackburn, however, he should have removed Heskey (who wasn’t bad) for Bannan at half time, to up the tempo and spark in the midfield. I’d have taken Delph off too who was ineffectual all game.

That said, we still created plenty second half, up until Mick’s tactical switcharoo that closed the game down.

Top post. Agree with all of it.

14 shots in the game doesn't sound too negative to me. Should have done better with the chances we had, need to utilize Bent to his style to get goals.

Its a team in transition, not expecting great things from Eck but still think he needs to be judged on our performances after 10 games as players are being tried and tested still.

There were some positives to take from this one, despite it not being the most entertaining game to watch. Gabby looked the most threatening on goal that I've seen for a long time and Herd looked good too. We ended up having more chances than we've been used to, which surely is good. As has been said already the subs were put on too late.

I'm still not convinced by N'zogbia. He looked decent at Wigan, but I'm not seeing it for us yet. He keeps cutting in from the wing rather than taking it to the line and crossing in. Looks to be on the wrong foot most of the time.

Looking from an overall start to the season, we are currently unbeaten after 3 matches, which is good. Once again though, it was a game that was there to be taken, but we failed to take control of it. I still feel we need the all important solid midfield player to get a grip of things in the middle.

Â