• Petrov
    • Delph
    • N'Zogbia
    • Collins
    • Dunne
    • Warnock
    • Young
    • Given

Pretty awful spectacle. Thought we were mainly solid but a better team would have beaten us by a few goals. We offered little goin forwards, not really helped by petrov not being able to pick a pass and Heskey playing as an attacking midfielder, was screaming for Ireland/Bannan to replace Heskey last 20mins. Given MOTM.

We went and played for a draw and got it. Decent result considering.

Nice to see Ian Taylor in the away end. Legend.

Starting from the back I guess, nice to see us solid at the back finally, if we start scoring some goals we'll be ok. Great away support again and great to see the legends Ian Taylor and Oliver Phelps (one of the Weasley twins off Harry Potter and avid Villa fan) out and about!

JGB

What a load of shite.

Woeful team selection and no balance to the side.

If it wasn't for Given we could easily have lost today,lots of work to be done.

I'd have taken a point before kick off so a good result. We need to be playing two wingers, Heskey and Gabby are not wingers. Nzogbia drifted inside far too much but I don't think he's fully match fit and he's still getting used to his team mates so I'll let him off this time. We need Makoun in for the match next week, need some more creativity. Bent can't be expected to do much when the ball is hoofed up to him and he is the onlu player in their half. Thought the defence all looked solid, warnock went flying in a few times but better than he was last year and looked promising going forward. Given motm,what a bargain. Wasn't impressed at the shambles of the bar at half time, shocking for a pl club to have such shit service,and then they closed up amd wouldn't serve anyone.

Just got back from the game...!

Positives

- Team Looked well organised defensively

- Good to see Warnock back

- Clean sheet

- Shay Given - Superb Signing

- Point earned away from home.

Negatives

- Very little width.

- lack of creativity and positivity

- Few chances created.

- NZogbia subbed.

- Too many poor crosses in to the box by full backs.

- No Gary Gardner.

cheers.

Decent-ish first half, if a bit lacking in finishing (as implied by 0-0, I guess). I fast-forwarded through the second half out of sheer boredom.

Came down to Given or Collins for MOTM: I give Collins the nod for his block of Dempsey off the Riise free kick that was really Fulham's best scoring chance (with the caveat that I only really paid full attention to half the game).

All in all, I'll take an away point against a club that's in our general bracket.

Hard game to judge as its the first of the season, most streams were poor and my own tiredness added to the un-entertaining football on the pitch (I fell asleep for the last 10 mins).

Some things surprised me, though:

a) Agbonlahor on the wing, eh? I thought McLeish said he wanted Gabby partnering Bent?

B) Heskey "in the hole" of the advanced midfield 3 (Gabby, N'Zog and Heskey)? After all the talk of "getting best out of your players" you couldn't find a spot for Ireland in this set up?

c) Replacing N'Zog for Albrighton. We were lacking width. Sacrificing Gabby (or Heskey) and putting another winger on in a 4-4-2 formation was surely the better option than replacing the only player delivering anything from wide?

There is no doubt that three points would have been fantastic and its no crime for wanting us to win every game, but I think when you take a step back and look at the game for what it is; day 1 of the season, away at Fulham, Fulham clearly had the upper hand in terms of fitness, then I don't think it is a bad result at all! Given, as most have said, was outstanding and no doubt kept us in the game and once we sharpen up a bit Zoggy will be finding Bent all day long! Plenty to work on, but as I said, its only day 1!!

UTV

There is no doubt that three points would have been fantastic and its no crime for wanting us to win every game, but I think when you take a step back and look at the game for what it is; day 1 of the season, away at Fulham, Fulham clearly had the upper hand in terms of fitness, then I don't think it is a bad result at all! Given, as most have said, was outstanding and no doubt kept us in the game and once we sharpen up a bit Zoggy will be finding Bent all day long! Plenty to work on, but as I said, its only day 1!!

UTV

I tend to agree with that. A point away is OK for the first game of the season but there is plenty for the manager to work on. The big plus I took from the game was how much better we were organised defensively from last year.

Blackburn next week is the game where McLeish really needs to deliver.

Looked very solid at the back. Fulham are an adept side at set pieces but we coped comfortably with everything they threw at us.

We struggled for width at times which meant we had to play it backwards a lot.

Heskey played well and did a good job pressuring Murphy but he needs to be a bit more positive.

Nzogbia looked like he hasn't had much of a preseason but put in a few dangerous crosses.

Starting from the back I guess, nice to see us solid at the back finally, if we start scoring some goals we'll be ok. Great away support again and great to see the legends Ian Taylor and Oliver Phelps (one of the Weasley twins off Harry Potter and avid Villa fan) out and about!

I thought I spotted Lloyd Mcguire in the away end

22526.gif

Looking at his wiki, he was born in Brum so it could well have been him

An away point and a clean sheet. I'll take more of these, TBH.

:hooray:

Sorry but if this is what the season holds I'll hate it

We will be finishing around 12th so the only thing to look forward to is some decent football - You surely can't be happy with McDull's version of hoofball.

If we don't have a go at teams what's the point

Â