Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Clickings from the O/S

McLeish urges Gardner to exert his influence on senior set-up

Alex McLeish has called on Gary Gardner to start exerting his considerable influence on the senior set-up.

McLeish knows all about the awesome potential of the 19-year-old, having seen him sparkle for the reserve and youth sides.

Now McLeish wants Gardner to transfer that authority into first team training on a more regular basis.

He said: "Gary is a massive fan favourite - and he's also a manager's dream.

"We're all looking for Gary to make the grade here. The signs are very good.

"He's maturing very well and as a person, he's a terrific guy to have around. He is so respectful and he respects the club he plays for too. He will go through brick walls for the club.

"He has everything. He has the looks, the ability, the stature, the physique.

"It's up to the big fella to take the reins from here.

"He is unfazed and I like that. I have told him to come into training and not be a passenger.

"I said 'don't take the easy way out, try things'. I have told him to get the tackles in and not be frightened of putting the boot in to one of the senior lads.

"I don't mean that in a nasty way. I have told him to put himself about.

"I did that as a youngster and you get a lot of respect from the senior players for doing that.

"We're looking for Gary to be a Villa star now and in the future."

Must say I like the tone of those quotes. It really sounds as though Gary is going to be more and more involved with the first team from here onwards. It's like McLeish has accepted him as a bona fide option and is now encouraging him to grab this new status and run with it. I'd be surprised not to see him feature to some degree against Citeh on Sunday especially given that he was subbed on the hour mark in Tuesday's reserve win over Fulham.

All Hail king Gary !

I heard him speak for the first time on AVTV the other day and what a pleasure it was - a great brummy accent on a kid who sounds like he has his head really screwed on.

Talking about how he idolises Lampard and Gerrard and tries to emulate their play. That was enough to get me wildly optimistic about the player he could become.

No doubt my bubble will be burst but what use is football if not to ride the great waves of emotion.

I don't think Eck would do that to him. He only played Bannan on the right because he has played there for the stiffs. Gardner is a central midfielder, end of.

Gary seems to be much like his brother, a true professional and a humble, down to earth person. I think as far as personality, he seems like a bit of a gem. And he's an exciting player. I follow him on twitter and I can't help but like the lad.

I hope he takes his chances and is a success at villa.

For me he must now be first choice. Would compliment Petrov and he might learn something about positional sense before Petrov hopefully leaves at the end of the season.

That would be a horrendous CM, particularly if it were just a two. Petrov hasn't got the energy or engine to play the DCM in a pair and this would end up damaging Gardner's career just as pairing Delph with Stan has done for Fabian.

Havn`t seen him play that deep before , also no aggression, I think he was playing to orders, he`s a much better player than

that, don`t remember him giving the ball away though. Agood debut but not as good as G Barrys debut.

Havn`t seen him play that deep before , also no aggression, I think he was playing to orders, he`s a much better player than

that, don`t remember him giving the ball away though. Agood debut but not as good as G Barrys debut.

Was Barrys debut against a really shite Cov team when we won 2-0 away?

Â