Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

I don't think we will see him in a Villa shirt again to be honest, shame really.

I agree tbh seems ages ago when he was mooted as the next Stevie g now he's 22 times not on his side to make a standout role going the same way all our potentials go moores,byfield etc

You fellas probably said the same about Delph.

I can only assume from the fact that he has been part of the first team squad, i.e. training, travelling and occasionally on the bench, that he is in Lamberts plans.

This loan is a good chance for him to get some game time and hopefully come back match fit.

I have no problem with Gardner, as I said its a shame - I don't think we will see him in a Villa shirt again because his contract is up in the Summer and there are clearly several players ahead of him in the pecking order. Westwood, Delph, KEA, Sylla and Bacuna are all ahead of him, if money is tight I can't see us offering Gardner a new contract that he would be happy with.

There will be other clubs willing to snap him up in the Championship, probably offering better wages than we will and most definitely offering him first team football.

Edited by samjp26

I don't think we will see him in a Villa shirt again to be honest, shame really.

I agree tbh seems ages ago when he was mooted as the next Stevie g now he's 22 times not on his side to make a standout role going the same way all our potentials go moores,byfield etc
You fellas probably said the same about Delph.

I can only assume from the fact that he has been part of the first team squad, i.e. training, travelling and occasionally on the bench, that he is in Lamberts plans.

This loan is a good chance for him to get some game time and hopefully come back match fit.

I have no problem with Gardner, as I said its a shame - I don't think we will see him in a Villa shirt again because his contract is up in the Summer and there are clearly several players ahead of him in the pecking order. Westwood, Delph, KEA, Sylla and Bacuna are all ahead of him, if money is tight I can't see us offering Gardner a new contract that he would be happy with.

There will be other clubs willing to snap him up in the Championship, probably offering better wages than we will and most definitely offering him first team football.

Again, you prob would have said the same about Albrighton.

Its hard to know for sure but the way in which the cluib have handled him recently would suggest a new deal is on the cards.

Can't see how he can be any worse than Sylla, KEA & Tonev either

Hopefully he gets some game time at Sheff Wed and then after a good pre-season (or maybe this season) gets his chance in the first team.

Be a shame to see him leave without getting his opportunity

It’s a month loan, Plenty of opportunity for game time they play them playing on Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Saturday, Tuesday & Saturday in that period!

Also Stephen McPhail has just left the club…….Over to you Gary!

Edited by Villastine
  • Like 1

The myth of Gary Gardner has been in place for a number of years,  the great white hope of our youth development.  He's 22 and has not broken through for us at a time we have needed a decent creative midfielder.  Cant see it myself but who knows.  It;s getting towards last chance saloon time for him

The myth of Gary Gardner has been in place for a number of years,  the great white hope of our youth development.  He's 22 and has not broken through for us at a time we have needed a decent creative midfielder.  Cant see it myself but who knows.  It;s getting towards last chance saloon time for him

Is that the same myth that saw him play for England at three different age levels in the space of 9 months? Before he was badly injured he was rated as one of England's top prospects. That's not a myth, it's fact.

Edited by villabromsgrove

It's a fact that he has been a decent prospect (although never been a particularly creative one).

It's a myth that he is anywhere near being our midfield saviour today.

It's a fact that he is a young player with a lot of talent who has missed the most important years of his development.

It is an open question about where his career now goes, he may get there in time like Delph or may build himself a tidy career in lower leagues.

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

Is that the same myth that saw him play for England at three different age levels in the space of 9 months? Before he was badly injured he was rated as one of England's top prospects. That's not a myth, it's fact.

No its the myth that sees him still living on those past glories (if they can be called that) having not delivered for whatever reason

Those of you that don't rate him are wrong. Future injury is the only thing that will stop him becoming an important player for Villa.

That and him not given a new contract when his current one expires in the summer

No its the myth that sees him still living on those past glories (if they can be called that) having not delivered for whatever reason

Im with Richard here. Injuries are part of the game and can happen to anyone. Call it bad luck, call it what you want. For me, the injuries are just a cover up for yet another over hyped youngster who turns out to be turd.

• Like 1

Im with Richard here. Injuries are part of the game and can happen to anyone. Call it bad luck, call it what you want. For me, the injuries are just a cover up for yet another over hyped youngster who turns out to be turd.

But he's our turd.

Rather see a player like him playing than the likes of Bennet, Sylla, Bowery... and the other "young and vibrant" dross that Lambert has brought in

Edited by sne

I'm convinced that if he gets a run of 5-6 games for Sheffield he will prove his worth, injury apart he will become a premiership player I just hope we have the time and patience to give him his chance.

Good luck to Gary, he deserves a bit of luck after his injury problems and his brother coming out as a Blue nose. UTV

Edited by tinker

I don't think we've seen the last of him.  As others have said, Delph and Albrigthon show that the door isn't always shut for young players, and presumably he isn't earning a fortune.

Plus, he wouldn't exactly have to be the next Zidane to be better than KEA or Sylla.

Â