Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he have any offers to go to another club? As far as im aware he didn't so didn't really stay at citeh out of choice.

Arsenal wanted him last summer but they wouldnt sell him to a rival and some Italian clubs wanted him on loan in january

We could sign the genetic clone of Schmeichel and Banks, and some on here would still find a reason to moan.

For where we are he's a great keeper, get him in and move on!

Given? Meh what was it the General said about action not words?

A short term stop gap signing about says it all.

He was a decent enough player 12 months ago, no idea what he is like now probably decent but as far as signings going it leaves me totally unenthused.

Bit harsh man.

a) he's a goalkeeper, it's never gonna be a marquee signing

B) he was rated as one of the best goalies in the prem before he joined city, a couple of injuries and the emergence of Joe Hart later and you call him a stop-gap signing?

c) whilst on that subject, we signed Friedel who was older, more than capable and has left us to join a club challenging for Europe and were in Chanps Lge last season. Goalies peak late and recently have proved excellent up to and around 40, stop-gap signing, it's really not.

I may be wrong but i thought once hart started the 1st game of last season given wanted to leave but city wouldn't allow it.

Think it's a bit harsh to claim he didn't care and wasn't bothered. He'll be a good short term signing for the next couple of years.

Shay Given, AT THE VERY LEAST, is a solid signing, who will do a job no doubt.

Anyone, who has any complaints about this signing is just moaning for the sake of moaning - probably because of the last few weeks. Just let it go.

Shay Givens a top goalie, kept out of the first team by injuries - and Joe Hart (arguably the best gk in England atm, and potentially in the world in the future).

Were not paying over the odds. Good Signing. Players like Shay Given are not the kind of players who would just sign for a team that they thought was heading in the wrong direction.

For goodness sake people, stop analysing every single detail, then twisting it into a sign of lack of ambition. Just let the summer pan out and look forward to the new season.

Given would be a great signing. Keepers are notoriously better over the age of 32.

Yes, I would like Foster but why pay twice as much for a player who is less experienced (but yes very good) who will no doubt want to leave us for another club in a couple of years. We could get a solid 4/5 seasons out of Given I reckon.

mat kendrick tweeted this

I'm told #avfc are still striving to make the Given deal happen as soon as possible #mcfc

doesnt seem like it

It's probably wages that is the issue.. Villa probably want to give him say £40k a week and he wants £50-60k a week. It seems to be the biggest stumbling block, I know he's willing to take a pay cut but he's on a massive salary at Man City a pay cut to him is probably not what Villa accept as a pay cut.