Gym Routine

olboydave

Had my 1st month review with the trainer yesterday. Everything is going well but told him I wanted to strengthen my core because I suffer from a lot of lower back pain.  He knows I work in an office sitting down most of the day, so he explained it is probably caused by the group of muscles connected front and back to the pelvis.  Made me try and touch my toes, which I couldn't, then made me do some rather uncomfortable stretches, and after each repetition the amount of rotation around my pelvis increased a little.  He said he thinks by Wednesday I'll not have that back pain and my hamstrings should be less tight which all helps.

Again, want sure this was something I'd stick with but really enjoying it at the moment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Had my 1st month review with the trainer yesterday. Everything is going well but told him I wanted to strengthen my core because I suffer from a lot of lower back pain.  He knows I work in an office sitting down most of the day, so he explained it is probably caused by the group of muscles connected front and back to the pelvis.  Made me try and touch my toes, which I couldn't, then made me do some rather uncomfortable stretches, and after each repetition the amount of rotation around my pelvis increased a little.  He said he thinks by Wednesday I'll not have that back pain and my hamstrings should be less tight which all helps.

Again, want sure this was something I'd stick with but really enjoying it at the moment.

Good work bud. Keep at it. 

Tight hamstrings will definitely cause lower back pain (I've had it myself). What's your posture like? Are they tight as they're  weak and being overworked by the muscles at the front (hip flexors/quads)?

I'd still add some core work in as it's crucial for good posture and aids the big lifts and real World strength. As before, it doesn't need to be specific core work like sit ups (not a great core exercise anyway) but could be incorporated into another compound move.

I try and do yoga once or twice a fortnight and focus on my hips/hamstrings. The below video/series is a good starting point.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Good work bud. Keep at it. 

Tight hamstrings will definitely cause lower back pain (I've had it myself). What's your posture like? Are they tight as they're  weak and being overworked by the muscles at the front (hip flexors/quads)?

I'd still add some core work in as it's crucial for good posture and aids the big lifts and real World strength. As before, it doesn't need to be specific core work like sit ups (not a great core exercise anyway) but could be incorporated into another compound move.

I try and do yoga once or twice a fortnight and focus on my hips/hamstrings. The below video/series is a good starting point.

My posture isn't great, not bad but not brilliant either.  I think the hamstrings are tight because they are weak but I'm no expert lol. The trainer has given me some core exercises to do (not sit-ups though) which I'm going to fit in after a session and at home too. 

Thanks for the link to the video 👍. My wife likes yoga so I've got a partner there already!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

My posture isn't great, not bad but not brilliant either.  I think the hamstrings are tight because they are weak but I'm no expert lol. The trainer has given me some core exercises to do (not sit-ups though) which I'm going to fit in after a session and at home too. 

Thanks for the link to the video 👍. My wife likes yoga so I've got a partner there already!

Weak hamstrings causing back pain makes sense. I added in more posterior chain work (basically muscles that make you stand up right) and glute exercises which helped too. Has he got you doing leg curls, GHD machine, Romanian deadlift and bridges etc? 

Doing planks would probably be a good one for you if you're not doing them already. Builds a very strong core and works posterior chain.

That link has a few other videos which are good. Working other muscle groups or full body etc.

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Weak hamstrings causing back pain makes sense. I added in more posterior chain work (basically muscles that make you stand up right) and glute exercises which helped too. Has he got you doing leg curls, GHD machine, Romanian deadlift and bridges etc? 

Doing planks would probably be a good one for you if you're not doing them already. Builds a very strong core and works posterior chain.

That link has a few other videos which are good. Working other muscle groups or full body etc.

Yeah one of the things I'm doing is leg curls, and he's added in planks into my core reps.  Thanks for the advice and encouragement mate, appreciate it 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Out of interest what do you guys do when you struggle for motivation to get to the gym / classes?  I've only been to the gym once since New Year and today will be my first class since Christmas Eve.  It feels like a chore at the moment, and the last thing I want to do is let it slip to a point where I don't bother going at all.  

5 hours ago, dubbs said:

Out of interest what do you guys do when you struggle for motivation to get to the gym / classes?  

I've just accepted that it is a chore. Same as cleaning the house or mowing the lawn. Get the gym as part of a set routine and then one week out of every 4/5 or 6 (depending on your lifestyle) take either a week off or do some other form of exercise you enjoy. Variation definitely helps. 

The reality is that everyone needs to exercise their whole life, you can't just hit the gym for 3 months, lose weight and then never go again. It never ends. I never want to go the gym, but I still go regularly. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, dubbs said:

Out of interest what do you guys do when you struggle for motivation to get to the gym / classes?  I've only been to the gym once since New Year and today will be my first class since Christmas Eve.  It feels like a chore at the moment, and the last thing I want to do is let it slip to a point where I don't bother going at all.  

I recently read something interesting about not looking to find motivation, but looking to find what DEmotivates you and addressing that instead. You know it's good for you, you know you're gonna feel good for it after, so what would you do instead of going? Watch Netflix? Reward a workout with Netflix after, tie the two together. For me, the gym is the place where I listen to podcasts, that's my reward, stick my headphones in and forget about everything else other than whatever I'm listening to. I won't listen to podcasts at any other time usually, so if I don't go, I don't get the reward.

Also, as @villa89 says, routine - Very important. Discipline wins when motivation fails. 

• Like 2

I realise he's a very divisive character, and 50% of his character isn't really for me, but James Smith PT is worth a follow (podcasts, youtube, IG, FB) for his advice on training and nutrition.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dubbs said:

When it's feeling like a chore to go, try focusing on exercises that you enjoy and want to do, even if it's not the day for them.

Just do bench press, or deadlift, or arms or rowing machine or whatever you enjoy. 

It's better to mix your routine up but still do something rather than do nothing. 

If you need to spend a bit more time looking at your phone or whatever between sets on that day then so be it.

Make it enjoyable until you want to do it properly again.

• Like 2

I got on the scales yesterday. Christ it was bad.

I knew it would be. It's been a couple of years since I've been in the gym, and having a kid has made sticking to a diet very hard.

But **** me, it was even worse than I expected.

So now I'm fully motivated. My kid is 2 now, that's no longer a valid excuse. Diet is in top gear, target of 3 stone loss by the end of September. This may get readjusted once I work out how much was post christmas water weight

Back in the gym tomorrow. I actually signed up in July but it's taken me this long to go. I'm looking forward to it but weirdly nervous about the first one back because it's been so long. 

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I knew it would be. It's been a couple of years since I've been in the gym, and having a kid has made sticking to a diet very hard.

I still find diet by far the hardest thing and I've never really found a way around it. Not sure whether it's a metabolism thing or what, but as soon as I eat anything, I'm hungry all day. I have no idea how people cope with it.

I basically just don't eat all day, have a pre-gym meal at 1am, go to the gym, then when I get home I'm tired to care about eating more.

• Like 1

Fractured my finger playing basketball a few weeks ago and had some back issues before that. Haven’t been in any kind of routine since that. Back at it today and it feels brutal. 

18 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I still find diet by far the hardest thing and I've never really found a way around it. Not sure whether it's a metabolism thing or what, but as soon as I eat anything, I'm hungry all day. I have no idea how people cope with it.

I basically just don't eat all day, have a pre-gym meal at 1am, go to the gym, then when I get home I'm tired to care about eating more.

Yeah I do think that first meal sort of wakes up your appetite so I get that.

My issue is my appetite is huge and always has been. It's not that I eat terrible food (I mean I do, but not regularly); I just eat loads. I'm almost never full, ever. 
So when I'm not actively managing that the weight just piles on.

I've had my kick up the arse now. And I've done it before so I know I can lose it, just need to keep my head down and do it

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/01/2024 at 15:23, Stevo985 said:

I got on the scales yesterday. Christ it was bad.

But **** me, it was even worse than I expected.

So now I'm fully motivated. My kid is 2 now, that's no longer a valid excuse. Diet is in top gear, target of 3 stone loss by the end of September. This may get readjusted once I work out how much was post christmas water weight

Back in the gym tomorrow. I actually signed up in July but it's taken me this long to go. I'm looking forward to it but weirdly nervous about the first one back because it's been so long. 

10 pounds down since this post...

• Like 4

Power Twister with Adjustable Hydraulic Resistance 10kg - 201kg (20lbs to  400lbs) of resistance | ProIron PRO-BLQ02-1

Been using this quite a bit, some good results as you can just leave it around the house and pick it up a few times a day

Anyone considered the weight loss injections, becoming very popular in the doctors surgery as a private treatment. Lower the appetite and really work apparently.

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Power Twister with Adjustable Hydraulic Resistance 10kg - 201kg (20lbs to  400lbs) of resistance | ProIron PRO-BLQ02-1

Been using this quite a bit, some good results as you can just leave it around the house and pick it up a few times a day

How do you keep your white carpet so clean ?

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Is that like what the models use on Onlyfans. 😆

On 08/01/2024 at 16:34, El Zen said:

Fractured my finger playing basketball a few weeks ago and had some back issues before that. Haven’t been in any kind of routine since that. Back at it today and it feels brutal. 

Turns out the fractured finger needed surgery. Had the op yesterday and likely won’t be allowed any kind of lifting or a decent workout for a couple of months still. Going to have to do some heavy duty work in April and May now. 

• Sad 1

Â