Gym Routine

olboydave

2 hours ago, YLN said:

What is everyone's gym doing in terms of masks and distancing? My gym is pretty much as you were pre covid. It's all people younger than me who haven't had any vaccines, but then again are also at low risk. It seems odd that we (ireland) haven't opened indoor dining yet, but my sweaty gym is full of heavy breathing young people on benches and squat racks all close together. 

In other news I've been to the gym three times now and I haven't injured myself. I'm being very sensible and lifting weights lower than I ever lifted before. I'm setting new PWs every day

Guess that counts as exercise but they should probably save that for the bedroom. 

4 hours ago, YLN said:

What is everyone's gym doing in terms of masks and distancing? My gym is pretty much as you were pre covid. It's all people younger than me who haven't had any vaccines, but then again are also at low risk. It seems odd that we (ireland) haven't opened indoor dining yet, but my sweaty gym is full of heavy breathing young people on benches and squat racks all close together. 

In other news I've been to the gym three times now and I haven't injured myself. I'm being very sensible and lifting weights lower than I ever lifted before. I'm setting new PWs every day

There's nothing special in my gym. Only difference is that it's mandatory to wash down your bar, rack, dumbell, ergometer after use.

11 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

There's nothing special in my gym. Only difference is that it's mandatory to wash down your bar, rack, dumbell, ergometer after use.

I think that's always meant to have been mandatory in all gyms. Just never ever enforced pre-covid. 

Always chuckle when you use the official name for things, it's a rowing machine. You'll be using the elliptical next. 

• Haha 1

Not sure why I said ergometer tbh. I normally say rowing machine. Technically they are all ergometers aren't they?

I'll never use an elliptical mind. 

In terms of washing things down I think the difference is that you are supposed to wash it down with an antibacterial spray and before it was just a water wipe. 

10 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not sure why I said ergometer tbh. I normally say rowing machine. Technically they are all ergometers aren't they?

I'll never use an elliptical mind. 

In terms of washing things down I think the difference is that you are supposed to wash it down with an antibacterial spray and before it was just a water wipe. 

I've got a cross trainer (elliptical) at home and try to us wit every day. Fantastic but of kit, low impact on the joints and is a full body workout. Seems to help with recovery too. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Nah. If I want that sort of workout I'll just hit the local swimming pool. 

Almost impossible over here with Covid restrictions. Book way in advance and compete with all the old ladies for a hand full of available places. 

Does anyone else do sumo deadlifts? I've incorporated them recently and whilst I'm loving the variation and getting more DLs in. I am not loving scraping the bar over my thighs during lockout. Feeling like I might need to do them in trousers not shorts but that feels odd. 

• 1 month later...

Don't know if anyone will follow him on YouTube but John Meadows passed away from a pulmonary embolism last night. 

The nicest and sweetest youtube fitness guy on the platform. 

Learned a lot from him. 

On 02/07/2021 at 15:11, YLN said:

My gym had a load of signs up saying you had to wear masks when you're walking around. And loads of cleaning equipment out telling everyone to wipe stuff down between sets.

But absolutely nobody did it. I felt like the stupid one in there because I was wiping stuff down before and after using it etc. Nobody else seemed to give a ****, including the staff (although at "The Gym" the staff are usually nowhere to be seen)

As soon as the regulations were officially gone over here every sign an piece of cleaning equipment disappeared over night. The only thing left is hand sanitizer.

I was very surprised at how casual everyone in there was about it when surely gyms must be one of the worst places for catching Covid? (That's a guess, just because of all the touch points and sharing equipment)

Anyway, I'm still going, just being vigilant by myself.

• 1 month later...

After 2-3 of months of completely forgetting my age whilst eating/drinking way in excess along with zero exercise, today’s the day to begin the change.  Going to start with just 10K steps a day and football once a week along with healthier diet. Also no booze!

Need to also bring the gym back in to it for strength training just struggling with motivation and put off just by the thought of going. 

I guess it will take him. 

Hope to be able to share my routine in a month or so but any tips to get back in to things would be welcome.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

After 2-3 of months of completely forgetting my age whilst eating/drinking way in excess along with zero exercise, today’s the day to begin the change.  Going to start with just 10K steps a day and football once a week along with healthier diet. Also no booze!

Need to also bring the gym back in to it for strength training just struggling with motivation and put off just by the thought of going. 

I guess it will take him. 

Hope to be able to share my routine in a month or so but any tips to get back in to things would be welcome.

Good luck with it. 

As for tips, depends what you're looking for. 

Mainly find something that you enjoy. That way you're more likely to stick with it for the long term. 

I find the best thing for my health is counting calories. Never liked doing it and always thought I knew what I was eating and had a great diet. Then started using myfitnesspal and showed me up. By using it for 3 months I'm much healthier and leaner then I used to be. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Good luck with it. 

As for tips, depends what you're looking for. 

Mainly find something that you enjoy. That way you're more likely to stick with it for the long term. 

I find the best thing for my health is counting calories. Never liked doing it and always thought I knew what I was eating and had a great diet. Then started using myfitnesspal and showed me up. By using it for 3 months I'm much healthier and leaner then I used to be. 

cheers mate. 

Mainly weight loss and cardio fitness to build up to playing footy 2-3 times a week.  Need to lose around 2 stone to be at ideal weight for my height.

I’ll also be counting calories again. I think the biggest issue I’ve had is the booze. Without that hopefully the rest falls in to place. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

cheers mate. 

Mainly weight loss and cardio fitness to build up to playing footy 2-3 times a week.  Need to lose around 2 stone to be at ideal weight for my height.

I’ll also be counting calories again. I think the biggest issue I’ve had is the booze. Without that hopefully the rest falls in to place. 

If it's mainly weightloss I'd check out the dieting thread on here as there's more active posters in that one. 

I find myfitnesspal works well for calorie counting and I wouldn't suggest cutting more then 500 calories a day (realistically aim at being 3,500 calories down a week as this gives better wiggle room for off days). More than that and you'll either quit, plateau to early or rebound. 

You want to aim for a pound a week. So 2 stone would realistically be 28 weeks. Which is half a year, but if you do it that way it's easier to stay at that weight going forward. Just remember to take progress photos and update your calorie allowance as the weight drops. 

If you're tracking macros, I'd suggest going heavy on the protein as it fills you up and helps retain any muscle you have. For me, 40-45% of my macros is protein, 40-45% carbs and the rest is fats. But that's just a guideline to aim for. 

If booze is the issue there are some decent alcohol free beers available now (I really like the ones by Drynks as it's actually beer with the alcohol removed after). I'm not teetotal but by scanning the booze I drink I know it's 50-250 calories a glass and I either have to eat something less or do more time on the cross trainer to burn it off. The 3rd or 4th one suddenly looks a lot less appealing. 

Don't limit yourself to banning certain foods as it's not needed and creates pressure to cheat and gorge on them. Just realise that you need to then balance it out calorie wise during the rest of the week. 

I'd also recommend that if you can getting a cross trainer, treadmill or slipping rope for your house. You'll be far more likely to get an extra cardio session in if you don't have to travel to the gym or go out in the rain to do it. It's easier to distract yourself that way too (watching TV or something) which allows you to better do steady state cardio. 

If you need some motivation too I'd suggest youtube fitness and can recommend a few channels. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

If it's mainly weightloss I'd check out the dieting thread on here as there's more active posters in that one. 

I find myfitnesspal works well for calorie counting and I wouldn't suggest cutting more then 500 calories a day (realistically aim at being 3,500 calories down a week as this gives better wiggle room for off days). More than that and you'll either quit, plateau to early or rebound. 

You want to aim for a pound a week. So 2 stone would realistically be 28 weeks. Which is half a year, but if you do it that way it's easier to stay at that weight going forward. Just remember to take progress photos and update your calorie allowance as the weight drops. 

If you're tracking macros, I'd suggest going heavy on the protein as it fills you up and helps retain any muscle you have. For me, 40-45% of my macros is protein, 40-45% carbs and the rest is fats. But that's just a guideline to aim for. 

If booze is the issue there are some decent alcohol free beers available now (I really like the ones by Drynks as it's actually beer with the alcohol removed after). I'm not teetotal but by scanning the booze I drink I know it's 50-250 calories a glass and I either have to eat something less or do more time on the cross trainer to burn it off. The 3rd or 4th one suddenly looks a lot less appealing. 

Don't limit yourself to banning certain foods as it's not needed and creates pressure to cheat and gorge on them. Just realise that you need to then balance it out calorie wise during the rest of the week. 

I'd also recommend that if you can getting a cross trainer, treadmill or slipping rope for your house. You'll be far more likely to get an extra cardio session in if you don't have to travel to the gym or go out in the rain to do it. It's easier to distract yourself that way too (watching TV or something) which allows you to better do steady state cardio. 

If you need some motivation too I'd suggest youtube fitness and can recommend a few channels. 

Hey man, if you have any video recommendations that would be cool. I need to lose more weight but happy to do it slowly and regularly rather than try for the big quick loss as I know it won't last!

1 hour ago, commander said:

Hey man, if you have any video recommendations that would be cool. I need to lose more weight but happy to do it slowly and regularly rather than try for the big quick loss as I know it won't last!

People on YouTube I follow are:

Simon Miller - easy going and nice guy, general gym stuff and health focused. 

Bodybuilding/weightlifting - szat strength, buff dude's, mountain dog fitness, juju mufu, Eric bugengagen, Alan thrall, Jeff Nippard and More Plates More Dates. 

They're kinda focused on building muscle and strength but most have info on weight loss and cutting too. 

A lot of people love Gregg Doucette. He does have some very educational stuff but personally I can't stand him. 

Slow and steady is the way to go. I've taken 5" off my waist and lost 1.5 stone this summer but by doing it slowly I've retained most of the muscle mass and strength. Nearly 40 but in the best shape for 15 or so years. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

cheers mate. 

Sounds like you're doing things the right way.

For weightloss the calorie defecit is the most important thing. Cardio will do **** all for your weight if you're eating too much

Interval training might be a good idea for your cardio. Will help you lose weight and will build up a bit of fitness appropriate for football

Also track your weight. Acts a good reminder for how far you've come when you get those days where you feel fat. We all have them. It's motivating when you're thinking about giving up to look back and remind yourself that you've lost x pounds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would recommend doing some weight training to complement the cardio. It helps burn some additional calories, allowing you to eat more and get your macros/micros in. It will also build some muscle which provides a higher resting metabolism and will help burn fat long term. It can even potentially make you faster (why sprinters are usually jacked). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

I would recommend doing some weight training to complement the cardio. It helps burn some additional calories, allowing you to eat more and get your macros/micros in. It will also build some muscle which provides a higher resting metabolism and will help burn fat long term. It can even potentially make you faster (why sprinters are usually jacked). 

Absolutely essential, imo. Particularly after a while and you want more than «just» losing weight. 

Also, listen to Ben, and remember that diet is always the key to losing weight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â