Gym Routine

olboydave

18 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Thanks for the advice, it's not what I want to hear, but probably what I need to hear.  I am going to see a Physio.  FYI it is the rear that I hurt, movements as simple as putting a jacket on trigger the pain.  I'm doing cardio, but it can't replace the feeling I get from working with weights.  I use a static bike and a step machine type thing, but every day on it feels like I spend an hour or so and still feel like I'm going backwards.  Probably need to manage the frustrations as much as the injury.

The mental side of the gym is so important. Knowing if the pain is something you can work and push through or something you need to rest and let heal. 

See what the physio says. They'll give you exercises to heal the shoulder but if you ask should be able to help with other exercises too. 

If you can't put a jacket on without pain I'd let it rest up. In a few weeks you could then maybe do light weight stuff on the front delt (minimising the impact on the rear which would be stabilising). 

You could also work one sided (dumbell press/row) for a few weeks and also some leg stuff using just one arm (leg press/goblet squats etc).

Did the tear happen because you'd overworked your front delt and pecs? Causing the rear to be permanently stretched and weakened? Often happens from too much bench etc and not stretching enough and not focusing on the rear delt. I had rounded shoulders for years due to this and some rear delt pain. Incorporating face pulls, rear delt rows, reverse cable flies etc has helped massively with this. 

7 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The mental side of the gym is so important. Knowing if the pain is something you can work and push through or something you need to rest and let heal. 

See what the physio says. They'll give you exercises to heal the shoulder but if you ask should be able to help with other exercises too. 

If you can't put a jacket on without pain I'd let it rest up. In a few weeks you could then maybe do light weight stuff on the front delt (minimising the impact on the rear which would be stabilising). 

You could also work one sided (dumbell press/row) for a few weeks and also some leg stuff using just one arm (leg press/goblet squats etc).

Did the tear happen because you'd overworked your front delt and pecs? Causing the rear to be permanently stretched and weakened? Often happens from too much bench etc and not stretching enough and not focusing on the rear delt. I had rounded shoulders for years due to this and some rear delt pain. Incorporating face pulls, rear delt rows, reverse cable flies etc has helped massively with this. 

I don't know what I did to hurt myself, it wasn't one specific moment that I noticed it go.  It was shortly after I got my second covid jab.  My shoulder was sore from the jab and I was expecting that to go away after a couple of days, but it was still sore at 5 days, so I got back in the gym and worked through the soreness.  I probably did something around then, but didn't identify the difference between the soreness from the jab and having hurt myself so kept on working on it expecting the pain to go away over time.  So I have probably just made things worse for myself by not catching the injury early.

Having said all that you have 100% taught me something new in your last post, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a specific rear delt exercise, so have spent the last few mins on Youtube learning a bunch of new stuff.  I'm pretty much entirely self-taught and there is a better than average chance I have made the mistake you have identified regards missing out on the rear delts.  I'll be sure to change up my routine to include some of that now.  Really appreciate the advice.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Straggler said:

I don't know what I did to hurt myself, it wasn't one specific moment that I noticed it go.  It was shortly after I got my second covid jab.  My shoulder was sore from the jab and I was expecting that to go away after a couple of days, but it was still sore at 5 days, so I got back in the gym and worked through the soreness.  I probably did something around then, but didn't identify the difference between the soreness from the jab and having hurt myself so kept on working on it expecting the pain to go away over time.  So I have probably just made things worse for myself by not catching the injury early.

Having said all that you have 100% taught me something new in your last post, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a specific rear delt exercise, so have spent the last few mins on Youtube learning a bunch of new stuff.  I'm pretty much entirely self-taught and there is a better than average chance I have made the mistake you have identified regards missing out on the rear delts.  I'll be sure to change up my routine to include some of that now.  Really appreciate the advice.

A lot of people ignore the stabiliser muscles, especially the rear delt, don't blame yourself. I'm mostly self taught myself (am very passionate about the subject though so spend a lot of time researching stuff). Youtube is great for improving your learning, just balance it out with who you listen to as there is some bad stuff out there and always good to hear different opinions. 

My RSI injury was similar, nothing in particular just excessive overuse (chest/shoulders almost every day) for about a month to try and break a plateiu. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been isolating for 10 days with covid, as many will know. Had to do two workouts today to stop the feeling of decay 😅

How is everyone doing? Going into holiday mode for xmas, or planning on keeping it going through the festive season to balance out the inevitable over-eating? 

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Been isolating for 10 days with covid, as many will know. Had to do two workouts today to stop the feeling of decay 😅

How is everyone doing? Going into holiday mode for xmas, or planning on keeping it going through the festive season to balance out the inevitable over-eating? 

Completely get that itch. I haven't been able to lift for ages and struggled with it. 

Full on holiday mode. Had a weeks holiday late October which was a bit of a blow out. Followed by an immediate chest infection which stopped me working out until recently, then sprained my wrist 2 weeks ago by ego lifting (didn't drop the weights after 2 months off as I'd been so annoyed by it all). So haven't exercised for nearly 2 months and my diet has fallen off a cliff with it. 

Figured I'd just relax and try to enjoy Christmas as I'd been cutting for ages. Lost a fair amount of progress and probably put 5-10lbs back on but I'm hoping to get a decent workout in on Christmas day and get back on it after that to run upto summer. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did my first session of the year and since mid-December. Feel a lot better for it, although suspect that the wrist will be sore tomorrow as still not 100%. Really struggled with the diet over the holidays so need to get back on it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Went to a commercial gym today for the first time in about 4 years. Lifted a lot more then I manage to do at home. Dunno if the weight plates varied, if it was a mental thing (lifting in front of good looking women in lycraade a nice change) or of I'd just eaten a lot more then usual today (not tracking for once as on holiday). One of the best sessions I've had in ages but don't think I'd go to a commercial gym regularly as I'd forgotten how annoying it is to wait for other people to finish. 

• 1 month later...

Not a fan of Men's Health but this popped up in my news feed. 

Hadn't heard of this guy before but fantastic achievement and great lifts. They'd be solid for someone half his age let alone in their 70s.

• 1 month later...

Just had my most embarrassing gym fail/accident replacing when the band snapped whilst doing rows smacking me in the face. 

I was doing overhead/military press with a power bar and went a bit to close. I've not only given myself a bloody nose but the centre knurling has taken all the skin off the bridge leaving a bloody mess that'll take weeks to heal. 

• Shocked 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hit a milestone today which I'm very happy with and managed to lift 200kg. It was a rack pull from knee height so not a full deadlift and people have lifted an awful lot more but that's 2.5 times bodyweight at very nearly 39 years old in the middle of a cut. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Man, it’s so grim what’s happened to the gym in recent years. Can’t move for Instagram words removed setting up tripods to record themselves doing **** bicep curls. It’s hard enough to motivate myself to train as it is.

Really need to start planning the home set up. 

• Like 1

Got an issue with pain in my elbow/around my elbow. I am aware of the pain all the time but it is really painful on certain exercises. I was doing incline dumbbell chest flyes yesterday and had to leave them after one set due to the pain. I could though do incline dumbbell press and flat barbell chest press. Today I was doing back and biceps and was aware of the pain doing bicep curls but managed to plough through. Pull ups/chin ups again aware of the pain but not so bad that I felt I should stop.

It is tender to the touch and does really hurt if I even knock it slightly. Anyone any ideas what it could be? I have had an issue with it to varying degrees for about 3 months now.

10 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Got an issue with pain in my elbow/around my elbow. I am aware of the pain all the time but it is really painful on certain exercises. I was doing incline dumbbell chest flyes yesterday and had to leave them after one set due to the pain. I could though do incline dumbbell press and flat barbell chest press. Today I was doing back and biceps and was aware of the pain doing bicep curls but managed to plough through. Pull ups/chin ups again aware of the pain but not so bad that I felt I should stop.

It is tender to the touch and does really hurt if I even knock it slightly. Anyone any ideas what it could be? I have had an issue with it to varying degrees for about 3 months now.

I’m less confident/comfortable in amateur diagnosis than I used to be. I also don’t have a clue given the tenderness to the touch, which doesn’t sound great. Sounds like a job for a good physio.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

As @JB says get a physio to look it over as you might need some treatment. I've had various joint issues over the years and these have become more frequent after my mid-30s.

Might be worth getting a PT to check your form (or record yourself) on exercises as it's far to easy for something to slip, especially when fatigued after a number of reps. 

I wear thick compression sleeves when working out to help ease this and sometimes wear lighter ones just for recovery. 

Maybe try cable flies instead of dumbell as they can give better ROM (cross over is easier) and less stress at full extension where joints are under most pressure and chest is less engaged. 

• Thanks 1

Â