Gym Routine

olboydave

I always like to get a gym session in on Christmas morning in order to counter the ridiculous amounts of food and drink I'll have today and yesterday. 

Decided to go for a powerlifting competition workout and managed to hit 968lbs (440kg).

I did cheat somewhat by using a hexbar for the deadlift but I'm happy with that seeing as I'm nearly 40, haven't worked out for 7 weeks and am somewhat hungover. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I recently decided that I need to be more active. I've got a desk job so I spend 40+ hours sitting on my a## not doing much exercise.  I'm late 40's and have definitely started getting a dad's body! So I talked my eldest son into taking a Body Combat class with me this morning.  Jeez talk about starting off easy lol.  It's a 45 min class but I lasted about 30 mins - although that was longer than my son who complained about a pain in his groin so he stopped before me. I probably could have gone longer but I'm a very self conscious person and when everyone else is doing it well and I looked like an uncontrollable puppet, I stepped out.  I'm definitely going to go again because I think I enjoyed it, it'll definitely do wonders for my cardio and my general wellbeing.

Edited by dubbs
Typo
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

So I've been doing 2 Kombat class a week and decided I wanted to try a third class doing something different.  I booked in for a spin class for this morning but it was cancelled but the woman in the phone mentioned a tone up class.  Thought I'd give it a go, the instructor was the same guy doing the Kombat classes and he said it's relatively easy.  Only a 30 min class I thought, let's give it a go.  Wasn't expecting weights to be used lol knackered after about 20 mins but only 10 mins left I thought to myself.  WRONG!!! Even though it's advertised as a 30 min class it ended up being 45 mins!  If you've got it in your head it's 30 mins you can push harder towards the end.  And then I paid for it for the final 15 mins.  Also the air con in the room was either not working or not on because it was roasting in there!

Having said all that I'm going to try and keep it up as well as my other classes, and maybe even try a gym session once I'm used to the new class.

Going for a nap now 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

So I've been doing 2 Kombat class a week and decided I wanted to try a third class doing something different.  I booked in for a spin class for this morning but it was cancelled but the woman in the phone mentioned a tone up class.  Thought I'd give it a go, the instructor was the same guy doing the Kombat classes and he said it's relatively easy.  Only a 30 min class I thought, let's give it a go.  Wasn't expecting weights to be used lol knackered after about 20 mins but only 10 mins left I thought to myself.  WRONG!!! Even though it's advertised as a 30 min class it ended up being 45 mins!  If you've got it in your head it's 30 mins you can push harder towards the end.  And then I paid for it for the final 15 mins.  Also the air con in the room was either not working or not on because it was roasting in there!

Having said all that I'm going to try and keep it up as well as my other classes, and maybe even try a gym session once I'm used to the new class.

Going for a nap now 😂

Exercising in this heat is brutal. 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Exercising in this heat is brutal. 

Problem I have is if I don't go then I'll get into the habit of skipping sessions and then eventually not going at all.

But yes it was brutal today, got another class in the morning and one Monday evening by which point it should be cooler.

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

Problem I have is if I don't go then I'll get into the habit of skipping sessions and then eventually not going at all.

But yes it was brutal today, got another class in the morning and one Monday evening by which point it should be cooler.

Yeah, I get that. I did a 2 hour weight session this morning in this heat on an empty stomach. Felt sick to my stomach at the time but feel good now. So much easier being healthy in a normal temperature. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Yeah, I get that. I did a 2 hour weight session this morning in this heat on an empty stomach. Felt sick to my stomach at the time but feel good now. So much easier being healthy in a normal temperature. 

Is it just me or does exercise early morning feel like much more effort than it does of an evening?

Fair play on doing 2 hours as well 👍

• Like 1

On 19/03/2023 at 11:44, Follyfoot said:

image.jpeg.384110a67d1a193dce1a635aba3cc614.jpeg

Doing an hour and a half a day on it now on the weight is literally falling off me. Doing a heavy weights regime in between. Working a treat I can eat and drink what I want and at my age that is something. Need to incorporate the heavy bag and speed  bag training just to finish it off and my prediction for any takers is pain

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Is it just me or does exercise early morning feel like much more effort than it does of an evening?

I am completely opposite, if I do not do it in the morning it ain’t happening 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Exercise in the afternoon and you have a day of food to fuel you through it. However, you have hours and hours to convince yourself that you're tired, your knee hurts, or get distracted by work etc. Also, dependant upon what you've eaten you might be sluggish from digesting it.

Exercise in the morning and you're fresh from bed and feeling refreshed. You're likely running on caffeine as a boost. You're not digesting a days worth of food and are likely less distracted by things that happened that day and more focused on the exercise. However, you might have had a bad night's sleep, you might not work well on an empty stomach, you might be processing alcohol from the night before. 

There's potentially good and bad in both so find what works best for you.

This can change throughout the year too. I'm in a severe (short term) calorie cut (basically a crash diet) at the minute and doing very low carbs (under 40g a day for a 2 hour weight session, hour of crosstrainer and 20,000 steps plus a day). I usually prefer early afternoon workouts but early morning is actually best for me right now as I've got food from the night before/sleep/caffeine powering me through it and I'm not spending energy on digestion. By the afternoon I'm usually flagging. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Personally I prefer early morning exercise. It’s done and out the way, I feel energised for the day too and it gives me the evening with the family afterwards 

I prefer early morning workouts which I only get at weekends . I’ve been on and off for the last 12 months but started back 3 weeks ago. 

• Like 2

I've got into a good routine of weightlifting over the past few months, still at rookie numbers, but it's the strongest I've been for years. I've booked an hour out of my calendar each working day and get to the gym at lunch.

I tried a couple of morning workouts, but those weights just were not moving, a good meal an hour or two is essential for me or I'm not getting shit done. You probably get used to it, but I thought I was going to pass out trying to do a deadlift set on an empty stomach

• Like 2

What's your take on consecutive days of exercise? I've seen two opposite trains of thought recently so kinda unsure now.  I go 3 consecutive days then nothing the other 4.  This is mainly due to the classes I want to do being available on those days.  I speak to people who almost go every day.  When I did couch to 5k it was run, then day off, and I saw a video suggesting if you just work the same muscles daily they never have time to grow, only to repair themselves.

Thoughts?

Nothing wrong with consecutive days as long as you're not hitting the same thing hard multiple days in a row, imo. When I was running, I'd run most days but if one day was a fast run, the next day would be a slow one. If one day is heavy weights, the next day either works a different muscle group, or is a day of stretching, cardio, etc.

Similar exercise with decent intensity multiple days in a row is probably a bad idea, I think.

If you could do the same thing a few days in a row without feeling like it's hitting your performance it seems to me like an indication the intensity is quite low and you're just spinning your wheels.

This information is brought to you via a sports science degree from the university of "this is what I reckon".

Edited by Davkaus

Â