Gym Routine

olboydave

Not been able to go to gym for ages because of my back. So I've gone back to swimming. Got my fitness is no where near what it used to be. I used to swim for a club and would do 30 lengths warm up followed by loads of drills and races. Now I struggle to do 20 lengths. Plus it doesn't help when you have to dodge the old women who thinks it's acceptable to swim 4 abreast so they take up half the pool

• 2 weeks later...

Hit my first failure since going back to basics with Stronglifts and it came in a pair!

Failed on 117.5kg squats. So did 5,5,5,3,3. Although my first set of 5 was accidentally at 127.5kg so that took a lot out of me!

Then failed on OHP. Only managed 4 sets at 55kg, with the last set being a 3 too.

I'm really enjoying it, although I need to change my sessions around. I've been doing two at the weekend one day after the other and it was fine at the lighter weight but it doesn't work when it's heavy.

I got away with that when i was doing a split workout, but squatting heavy two days in a row, with one of those days also including deadlifts is an absolute killer. My legs are very sore today!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Jumped back to the start of this thread and realised I've been going to the gym "properly" for over 5 years now.

As good as that is, I've made nowhere near the sort of progress I should have made in that sort of timeframe. Which annoys me.

I'm going to take this as a revelation of sorts and get back on the horse. i've spent the past 12 months being half arsed and it's taken me backwards.

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I get really annoyed when I see people benching with their feet up on the bench, or raised in the air.

Why do they do this? I can't see how it's of any benefit

I've seen idiots claim it helps isolate their pec more, with is of course a load of bullshit. Benching like this will almost certainly reduce the amount of weight you can lift (no leg drive) and this will mean you will get less development in your pecs (and supporting muscles). It also clearly elevates the risk of injury since it is clearly unsafe.

Bottom line is, if you bench like this at a gym, then you are a retard. 

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I get really annoyed when I see people benching with their feet up on the bench, or raised in the air.

Why do they do this? I can't see how it's of any benefit

It's so common that I just assume it must be working something else that I'm not familiar with.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

It's so common that I just assume it must be working something else that I'm not familiar with.

A lot of things are commonly done wrong at the gym. The bench press is probably the most frequent 'wrongly' done lift since it is probably the most popular compound lift. Everything from feet on the bench, to people stopping short of bringing the bar down to their chest, to just bouncing the bar off their chest is very common and all equally wrong.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Everything from feet on the bench, to people stopping short of bringing the bar down to their chest

The guy I saw on Sunday, prompting this post, was doing both of these.

It especially annoyed me because his mate, who was less experienced that him, was lifting lighter but WAY better. Proper form.

Then this guy was loading another 20kg, lifting his legs in the air and half repping (if that) a set like he was the D's Bs.

I had way more respect for his n00b mate.

On 02/02/2017 at 04:20, V01 said:

Age 35   Male

Weight: 16st 2lbs - 102.9kg

Height: 5'11.2" - 1.81m

Ideal weight: 9st 7lbs to 12st 12lbs  - 60.6kg-81.9kg

BMI: 31.4

Ideal BMI: 18.5 to 25

Body fat: 24.8%

Ideal: 16.1 to 25.6

Bodyfat mass has gone from 49.1kg > 44.4kg > 42.7kg > 37.9kg > 36kg > 32.4kg > 32.8kg > 31.1kg > 25.5kg

Ideally it should be 16.5 to 26.3kg

Took a de-load to ease back into the year

Squat: 65>85kg

Bench: 50>60kg

Row: 50>60kg

Deadlift: 100>120kg

OHP: 40>45kg

Whilst the weight isn't shooting back up I'm not needing quite so much rest in between sets.

Age 35   Male

Weight: 15st 12lbs - 101kg

Height: 5'11.6" - 1.82m

Ideal weight: 9st 9lbs to 13st  - 61.2kg-82.8kg

BMI: 30.5

Ideal BMI: 18.5 to 25

Body fat: 23.8%

Ideal: 16.1 to 25.6

Bodyfat mass has gone from 49.1kg > 44.4kg > 42.7kg > 37.9kg > 36kg > 32.4kg > 32.8kg > 31.1kg > 25.5kg > 24kg

Ideally it should be 16.2 to 25.8kg

Spent a few weeks doing the 4-4-8 from the last page but I wasn't enjoying it, had the last few weeks off since being made redundant so I've moved back to 531 BBB. Easing my way in at the minute, the app is telling me my 1RM's are Squat: 96kg, Bench: 79kg, Deadlift 133kg, OHP: 52kg putting me ahead of my first cycle targets for bench and OHP and a few kg's away from squat and deadlift halfway through the cycle.

Pleased with the weight loss, I've had a few wobbles with the diet since being made redundant. Tomorrow is the big test, gotta go to see my mum, apparently she's getting a Domino's in.  I'm gonna try and 5-6k on the rowing machine tomorrow morning to build up a bit of a deficit. 

Edited by V01
BOF is a clearing
  • Like 1

Tweaked an old injury benching :( about 3 years ago i tore my pec Baaaaaaaaaaad, was out 4 months, benching yesterday and on my penultimate set, when i felt a tweak in the general area and is very stretched sore, almost like a cramp. Will probably take a week of bench to heal and start back slow next week. sigh.

• Like 1

It's been hard work, more-so away from the gym than anything. I love food, those plate pushaways and fork putdowns have been brutal.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2017 at 14:57, Stevo985 said:

The guy I saw on Sunday, prompting this post, was doing both of these.

It especially annoyed me because his mate, who was less experienced that him, was lifting lighter but WAY better. Proper form.

Then this guy was loading another 20kg, lifting his legs in the air and half repping (if that) a set like he was the D's Bs.

I had way more respect for his n00b mate.

I do think this is one thing that is forever going to keep me from free weights. Not just the fact that I've no idea what I am doing anyway and my form will be terrible. But I have fairly bad anxiety and the idea of being judged by everyone else in the room, particularly as I have no upper body strength, is just something that is a no-no for me.

3 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I do think this is one thing that is forever going to keep me from free weights. Not just the fact that I've no idea what I am doing anyway and my form will be terrible. But I have fairly bad anxiety and the idea of being judged by everyone else in the room, particularly as I have no upper body strength, is just something that is a no-no for me.

It's perfectly natural to feel anxious about it. I think pretty much everyone goes through that.

What I normally say is people honestly don't give a shot about everyone else in the gym. It feels like you're being watched when you first start, but seriously you're not. 

The only reason I took notice of the guy in my OP was because he was drawing attention to himself by acting like a big dog. 

I would never judge a newbie to the gym. And the majority of people in the gym won't either. They're much more likely to give you advice in my experience.

And if they do then they're a dick and they're opinion isn't worth shit. 

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Stevo is bang on there. 

But this is also a reason why machines can actually be incredibly useful for beginners. They in effect 'guide' you through the movements, reducing the margin for error and risk of injury and help to build a decent foundation of strength. And with consistency and application you will get stronger. Getting stronger on machines still counts as getting stronger. Eat enough protein and you will see muscle growth. 

Decent pressing, rowing (weighted, not the cardio one) and pulldown  machines are solid ones to start off with. Chuck in a few bodyweight exercises and hopefully it will help you to build up a bit of confidence and strength to move onto the free weights if and when you're ready. 

• Like 1

Â