Gym Routine

olboydave

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Home gym is my next goal.

Two of my friends have one and I'm so jealous.

If I had a proper set up in a garage at home I genuinely think i'd use it every day.

I have a very simplistic and cheap set up, but it's great for me. I would struggle to exercise as often as needed if I had to get out of the house.

Got a multi-function bench press-bench with leg extension option, pull up bar, sit ups+incline bench, curled barbell, 2xdumbbells and some cables and bands

The weight plates I've got fit both barbells, the dumbbells and the bench.. that makes it quite cheap.

The only thing I really miss is a squat rack, but I haven't found one that doesn't cost a fortune. It means I have to lift the barbell over my head, so I can't really increase the weights as much as I need to for progressing, but I try to vary the squats a bit to make them harder.

Could do with a row/lat machine as well, but I get by with cables

• Like 1

I imagine I'd only need a fairly rudimentary home gym too.  Once you've got the multi-function bench and enough bars and bells you can activate most muscle groups.  Squats and cardio would be the 2 main problems.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I imagine I'd only need a fairly rudimentary home gym too.  Once you've got the multi-function bench and enough bars and bells you can activate most muscle groups.  Squats and cardio would be the 2 main problems.

Mine would consist of a power rack, a bench, some mats for deadlifting, an olympic bar and some plates. Then I could add some dumbells as I go.

My mate has a decent setup and he spent £600. I'm sure you could do it for cheaper, but still £600 is a year's gym membership at some places. So after 12 months you're laughing

• Like 1

I had a pretty slick home set up in my living room for a few years!

I had a bench that could do flat, incline and decline that slid perfectly under my sofa. I had 120kg of plates which sat perfectly under my chair along with some dumbbells and a barbell which I kept in the cupboard.

I go through phases though. At the moment I could never imagine training like that again because the improvements I've made in just two years of going to a real gym far out weigh the 2 years I spent working out at home.

There are just some body parts that require more variation or machines. Lats for example. Dumbbell pullovers and hanging from your door frame will only get you so far! With my gym being 24 hour I can pretty much mimic working out at home If i want as there are times when obviously the place is empty.

Edited by sexbelowsound

I haven't been to the gym in probably 2 1/2 years.. When my wife found out we were pregnant.  Apart from playing squash up until about a year ago.

I'm up to about 15.4 st now, well over what I think is acceptable (probably a comfy 13st, maybe 13.5st.)

I've been doing lots of press ups lately, just to give myself something to do.  I can do about 35 good quality press ups now, from 10 when I started a month or two back, which feels good.  We also bought a decent exercise bike for my wife mostly, she has herniated discs and plate erosion in her back (family thing) and has had an operation on her knee after she tore cartilage whilst she was running.  She's put on a bit of weight after our baby, and then she did that, so she's a bit down in the dumps but still looks fine I think - but it's how YOU feel isn't it?

Anyway, even when at the gym, I was absolutely terrified of free weights.  Would never ask anyone for help because I couldn't muster up the courage and I know I'd hurt myself if I just "went at it". 

As it's the beginning of summer though, I'm getting that annual "now's the time" urge to get fit and healthy - with an attempt to stay that way.

Food has always been my kryponite, I'm okay at dieting and will lost half a stone or so before I just go mental for a couple of weeks and put it back on again (as is tradition :) ).

Don't really know what my point is, but I'd say I'm reasonably strong, I'm stocky all over, I just have a big tyre in the middle of it :D 

Edited by lapal_fan

6 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I haven't been to the gym in probably 2 1/2 years.. When my wife found out we were pregnant.  Apart from playing squash up until about a year ago.

I'm up to about 15.4 st now, well over what I think is acceptable (probably a comfy 13st, maybe 13.5st.)

I've been doing lots of press ups lately, just to give myself something to do.  I can do about 35 good quality press ups now, from 10 when I started a month or two back, which feels good.  We also bought a decent exercise bike for my wife mostly, she has herniated discs and plate erosion in her back (family thing) and has had an operation on her knee after she tore cartilage whilst she was running.  She's put on a bit of weight after our baby, and then she did that, so she's a bit down in the dumps but still looks fine I think - but it's how YOU feel isn't it?

Anyway, even when at the gym, I was absolutely terrified of free weights.  Would never ask anyone for help because I couldn't muster up the courage and I know I'd hurt myself if I just "went at it". 

As it's the beginning of summer though, I'm getting that annual "now's the time" urge to get fit and healthy - with an attempt to stay that way.

Food has always been my kryponite, I'm okay at dieting and will lost half a stone or so before I just go mental for a couple of weeks and put it back on again (as is tradition :) ).

Don't really know what my point is, but I'd say I'm reasonably strong, I'm stocky all over, I just have a big tyre in the middle of it :D 

If you want to lose weight (or specifically fat) then it's ALL about diet. Like literally forget everything else.

Cardio will help of course. But if you're eating like shit then it won't make any (well, much) difference.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you want to lose weight (or specifically fat) then it's ALL about diet. Like literally forget everything else.

Cardio will help of course. But if you're eating like shit then it won't make any (well, much) difference.

Yep, I've found this. i could exercise every day and eat like shit and I won't lose a thing. Now I'm eating right and still exercising I'm losing weight :)

Squash is amazing by the way. I play, high intensity for an hour a week and it's great. Meant to be 1000 calories burned an hour, but I doubt it. Even still, 500 an hour would be great.

1000 an hour playing squash wouldn't surprise me at all.

I normally burn around 10 calories a minute doing cardio, so that would be 600 an hour, and I wouldn't be going anywhere near the sort of intensity you would playing squash.

But this is my point. if someone burns 1000 calories playing squash, and then goes home and eats a pizza with cake for dessert and coke on the side, then they've eaten 1500 calories and wiped out the benefit of all that exercise (not you by the way Stefan, just an example)

The amount of calories you burn doing cardio pales in comparison to the amount of calories you take in by eating like shit. Unless you're a professional athlete then you can't out train that bad diet.

• Like 1

If you're purely looking at losing fat, then it is as simple as calories in vs calories out.

I'm always amazed at how complicated some people make it.

Yes it requires discipline, and it's not necessarily easy, but it's not complicated.

I genuinely think more should be done in schools about this stuff. And I include myself in that. I didn't have a clue about this stuff until I was about 25! 

Calories in and calories out is true, but it is more complicated than that and I wish I had been taught that many years ago. This calories in/out-thing puts the responsibility solely on the individuals behavior, but a lot of people does not have good knowledge about food and how the body works, or the money, time and energy to change their lifestyle. And don't forget people have varying degrees of insulin sensitivity. So while I think people who say that have good intentions, I think that answer can make people feel ashamed and frustrated.

When does the body burn fat most efficiently?... When it has depleted it's glycogen stores and begins to break down fat stored in the body. In other words it's before the first meal of the day, when doing fasting/intermittent fasting or right after a high intensity workout.

So for fat burning you should ideally train before eating breakfast/lunch, extending the fast as long as possible.

Eating carbs releases insulin in the blood stream, which stops the body from burning fat. It also makes you hungry again when blood sugar levels drops a few hours later. While eating no carbs gives more satiety and maintains a steady blood sugar level that gives you back your appetite control.

So in other words, if you want to maximize fat burning, eat your last meal at say 8-9 in the evening, skip breakfast or eat high quality fat (bulletproof coffee is a good solution) to extend the period where the body is burning fat and then do a workout at lunch before eating. Maintain a 20-30% calorie deficit while getting most calories from fat and protein, and limiting carbs to around 50-100g a day. Going much less than that will put the body in ketosis and that is even more effective, but it's probably a bit over the top for most people and requires mineral supplements.

34 minutes ago, tarjei said:

Calories in and calories out is true, but it is more complicated than that and I wish I had been taught that many years ago. This calories in/out-thing puts the responsibility solely on the individuals behavior, but a lot of people does not have good knowledge about food and how the body works, or the money, time and energy to change their lifestyle. And don't forget people have varying degrees of insulin sensitivity. So while I think people who say that have good intentions, I think that answer can make people feel ashamed and frustrated.

When does the body burn fat most efficiently?... When it has depleted it's glycogen stores and begins to break down fat stored in the body. In other words it's before the first meal of the day, when doing fasting/intermittent fasting or right after a high intensity workout.

So for fat burning you should ideally train before eating breakfast/lunch, extending the fast as long as possible.

Eating carbs releases insulin in the blood stream, which stops the body from burning fat. It also makes you hungry again when blood sugar levels drops a few hours later. While eating no carbs gives more satiety and maintains a steady blood sugar level that gives you back your appetite control.

So in other words, if you want to maximize fat burning, eat your last meal at say 8-9 in the evening, skip breakfast or eat high quality fat (bulletproof coffee is a good solution) to extend the period where the body is burning fat and then do a workout at lunch before eating. Maintain a 20-30% calorie deficit while getting most calories from fat and protein, and limiting carbs to around 50-100g a day. Going much less than that will put the body in ketosis and that is even more effective, but it's probably a bit over the top for most people and requires mineral supplements.

Dear me. There is so much wrong with this. Easily the least accurate post I've read in the thread. To the point where I think you might be trolling.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If you're purely looking at losing fat, then it is as simple as calories in vs calories out.

Apologies if it's a really dumb question, but I'm really shit at this stuff. I've lost weight, but can't seem to get rid of fat. Reading this, am I meant to burn more calories than I eat? What about days I don't go to the gym and I'm burning minimal calories, how does that work? 

Nothing's dumb when you start out, mate. In fact asking questions is very, very smart - much more so than spouting unfounded nonsense with absolute conviction like so many people do. 

If you've lost weight, I'm sure you must have lost some fat. As a beginner you won't have had a great deal of muscle to lose. Unless you've shat a kidney or something... 

To keep things simple, eat about 90% maintenance calories every day. Even when you don't train. It's your average across the week that matters. Your maintenance calories should be calculated based on how many days a week you train. If you need any help with this, let me know. 

Sorry I haven't done that starter machine program for you yet. Had a mental week. I'll try and post something later tonight. 

I'm sorry @JB but what exactly is wrong with what I said? Every thing in my post is backed up by research and the many, many people having changed their lives eating less carbs. It's contrary to common belief maybe, but more an more people are catching on. The modern high carb low-fat diet is very harmful to many people.

It's not for bodybuilding, but I wasn't claiming that either. Fasting and ketosis is extremely efficient for losing weight and maintain muscle mass.

I suggest you check your sources then, dude. Gary Taubes does not count. He is a quack and a charlatan who has even stated in public that if research proved him wrong (which it has, countless times - even via a study that he funded!) he would not change his mind. You are following/listening to the wrong people who have no scientific integrity. Try Alan Aragon, Brad Schoenfeld, Bret Contreras, Eric Helms, Mike Israetel amongst others. Actual scientists and experts in the field.

I can't be bothered going through everything that's wrong with what you said (and it is almost literally everything) but there are so many basic logical fallacies that I can't believe that you've thought about what you've said. 

By far the worst is talking about the "high quality fats" in and fat burning properties of Bulletproof Coffee (TM), which for the uninitiated is normal coffee with added BUTTER and COCONUT OIL - two of the most calorie dense foods available. How does adding 600 calories nutrient-poor foods to coffee help people burn fat?! That is a third of the average woman's daily calories. Nonsense of the highest order that actually pisses me off!  The 'eat fat to burn fat' has been thoroughly debunked, as have magical voodoo properties of coconut oil.

Eating carbs causes less satiety?!? Are you actually joking? Eating food causes you to feel less full does it? :D

Coming onto a forum like this where there are beginners and people looking to learn and repeating the stuff that you have with such absolute certainty is, quite frankly, dangerous and I'd advise anybody reading to ignore every single word. 

The answer to fat loss is energy balance. It's that simple.

6 hours ago, tarjei said:

This is way wayyyy over complicated, and more than some of it is nonsense.

Burn more calories than you eat. You'll lose fat.

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Apologies if it's a really dumb question, but I'm really shit at this stuff. I've lost weight, but can't seem to get rid of fat. Reading this, am I meant to burn more calories than I eat? What about days I don't go to the gym and I'm burning minimal calories, how does that work? 

Sorry, to clarify, by "burning" I mean not just in exercise, but also in just existing. The average male burns 2500 calories per day just being alive. So if that average male eats less than 2500 calories per day, then he will lose weight. Bar the odd medical exception, it's as simple as that. Obviously if you do exercise the amount you burn goes up so you can eat more and still lose weight. But if someone is eating 4000 calories per day, that's a LOT of exercise to burn it off

You don't have to do any extra cardio or exercise if you're eating fewer calories than you burn. 
If you care about muscle and fitness then you need to pay more attention to what you eat (high protein being the main one for muscle). But if you're purely interested in losing fat, it's calories that you need to look at.

If you've lost weight then I imagine you have lost fat, it might just not be noticeable. Where your body stores it's fat is genetic. For example, if you've got a belly on you, it might be that your body naturally stores fat there. So you might have lost fat on your legs, and therefore lost weight, but because your body naturally stores fat on your belly then it's harder to shift that,

Unfortunately it's not possible to target losing fat in specific places. You just have to lose it all over and eventually you'll get there.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

It is simple mate and no need to stress that this is difficult.

Based on your height, weight, age, gender you will have a certain amount of calories that you can eat to maintain that weight without any exercise just what you burn existing - moving about at home/work, brushing your teeth washing up, driving etc etc ( (I have put a link to a calculator below that will work this out for you).  Some people quote 2500 cals for men and 2000 cals for women but this is very generic and it is unlikely you will meet this. For me as an example I can eat just under 2000 calories a day and will maintain my weight and I currently consider myself to be about a stone over weight so as you can see if I went with the generic 2500 cals I would gain weight.

Personally for me to lose weight I will aim for 500 calories less than my maintenance calorie allowance (as said above for me 2000). Therefore I will have 1500 calories a day. Eating 500 calories less a day over a week will result in 1lb of weight loss as approx 3500 calories will equal 1lb in weight. 

In addition from exercise I will try and burn an additional 3500 calories so another 1lb in weight loss. As an example to do this I personally run 7 miles 3 times a week which burns around 3000 calories and weight train for approx 45 mins twice a week which I estimate will burn around 500 cals.

I see that as a nice balance losing a 1lb from dieting and a 1lb from exercise. If I want a treat night once a week, which I do, then I will throw an extra run in, or run further a couple of times, or cut my calories intake by another 200 or 300 for three or 4 days.

Here is the link to a calculator (you can google others but all pretty much the same) that will give you the figure you can eat to maintain your current weight. Just use the sedentary activity setting unless you have a physical job.

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Â