Gym Routine

olboydave

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If you post your routine it may give some more clues. 

I don't know the names for machines, I know it's one for triceps, biceps, a couple for chest (one that also does shoulders, another that also does back), abs, then a few for the legs. I aim for 3 lots of 10 reps, but I often physically can not manage the final 1/2 on the last lot of reps I do. The weights at this gym go up in 5s and as I'm pretty low down, going up just 5 would mean I can barely do any reps as I've tried and my arms give out and about 5/6. I go 4 times a week.

Mate, I can imagine it's information-overload for you at the moment. Absolute beginners such as yourself don't need to worry about stuff like progressive overload and free weights. They'll both be awesome further down the line but for now just focus on getting comfortable on the gym environment and learning the movements. 

Keep it simple. I'd advise prioritising pressing and pulling machines, using weights that enable you to do somewhere between 10-15 reps. Don't sweat the isolation stuff just yet.

Keep a record of your exercises, reps performed and weight used but don't worry if the weights/reps don't start shooting up immediately. It sometimes takes up to 6 weeks to notice strength or muscle gains. 

If you find out what the machines you've got are called or even post pictures of them in here, I'll happily write you a simple program so you've got something to follow. 

Edited by JB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'll double check with the staff that they don't have any kit for dips that I haven't managed to identify :P 

How long do you find you spend in the gym for each workout once your used to the program @Stevo985

45 minutes to an hour. That's doing 3 or 4 accessory exercises as well as the 3 main lifts.

It's an hour now that the lifts are heavy again. I'm taking a 2 to 3 minute rest between squats now because a set of 5 takes everything out of me. WHereas when the weights were a bit lighter I was resting a minute to 90 seconds

22 hours ago, JB said:

If you find out what the machines you've got are called or even post pictures of them in here, I'll happily write you a simple program so you've got something to follow. 

Noted the names down today; Pectoral fly, chest press, shoulder press, ab crunch, shoulder raise, seated row, arm extension, bicep curl, leg curl, leg extension, leg press and standing calf. Obviously don't use all of them every day currently because also doing cardio means I'd be there for about 3 hours.

Cheers mate. Couple of quick questions:

How many times a week can/do you train? 3 times on non-consecutive days sound do-able?

How confident do you feel with simple bodyweight exercises e.g. push-ups, unloaded squats etc.?

I'm out for the rugby at the moment but will try and put something together for you tomorrow. 

21 minutes ago, JB said:

Cheers mate. Couple of quick questions:

How many times a week can/do you train? 3 times on non-consecutive days sound do-able?

How confident do you feel with simple bodyweight exercises e.g. push-ups, unloaded squats etc.?

I'm out for the rugby at the moment but will try and put something together for you tomorrow. 

I do 4 days at the moment, so 3 is do-able. 

Well, push-ups are just something I've never really been able to do for whatever reason. I'm not joking when I say I struggle to do more than about 2/3. I must be doing them wrong because it shouldn't be that difficult, but who knows. But I should be alright with most things I would imagine.

Cheers pal. :thumb:

Edited by kurtsimonw

I'm doing 2-3 hours of strength training every other day now. Mostly compound lifting. Fairly slow tempo though, but I'll speed it up as my endurance increases.

On my off days I do a minimum of 2 hour walking or hiking. Soaking in that bit of daylight I've come to realize is very important for me. The added benefit I've noticed is that it's fighting of the muscles soreness, allowing me to go again the next day. It has also given my mind the time of day to sort out stress and ruminating thoughts, so that when it comes time to go to sleep, which has been a constant issue for me, I'm actually tired and my mind is not in a stressed state. Seems to be working so far. I've had more than two weeks now of 7-8 hours of regular sleep each night, which probably hasn't happened since I was in my early teens. And I have to say good rest makes such a huge difference for me when doing strength training. I've had great visible results the last two weeks.

I also do yin yoga twice a week for opening up stiff joints and for the calmness of mind. My shoulders and hips needs a bit of motion-lotion. I play soccer twice a week, and occasionally do power yoga. Meaning most day I do two workout sessions. A bit much maybe, but I'm still unemployed and waiting for things to be sorted out, so I've got plenty of time.

It's got to that point now where I'm constantly craving that high for working out. I'm hungry all the time and have put on lots of weight (which is great in my case). I think, while my job-situation is in limbo, I'll just devote my time to being fit and healthy and have every decision I make count towards that.

Back when I was 26-27 I was super fit and it did wonders for my confidence. I wanna get back to that because it had tremendously positive impact on my life.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

lol how do you find the time to do 2-3 hour sessions every other day?

As I wrote, I have all day.

And yes, I agree it's unnecessary. But it feels good right now. I'm resting longer than usual between each set, so I could probably make it a whole lot more effective in terms of time.. but I'm in no rush. 

• Like 3

Whenever I do lateral raises both my shoulders crack on the way up and on the way down. Anyone know what causes that? They crack when my arms are at an 80 degrees angle from the torso.

4 hours ago, V01 said:

Osteoporosis. 

I was thinking more along the line of an anterior tilted shoulder or something. Dunno if you're joking, but I probably wasn't explaining it well anyway... It's the joints making the sound, although it's not the gas-release you get when you first crack a joint. It happens on every moment as long as I flex the shoulder muscles. It's as if the head of the bone jumps in and out of position. 

On 3/9/2017 at 14:32, JB said:

Just realised that I didn't mention any lower body exercises there... my inner bro sneaking out! Can't skip leg day ;)   

i just wear jeans.....even in the pool.....

• Like 2

On 3/10/2017 at 17:32, kurtsimonw said:

Noted the names down today; Pectoral fly, chest press, shoulder press, ab crunch, shoulder raise, seated row, arm extension, bicep curl, leg curl, leg extension, leg press and standing calf. Obviously don't use all of them every day currently because also doing cardio means I'd be there for about 3 hours.

Somebody goes to either PureGym or The Gym :P 

On 3/17/2017 at 14:19, sexbelowsound said:

Somebody goes to either PureGym or The Gym :P 

I go to PureGym these days and got to say it's really good.

More squat racks than I've ever had in any gym (four! There was one in my last gym).
Two DL platforms
Two separate weights rooms (one for dumbells and cable machines, one for squats/DLs/Bench etc)

And £20 a month.

It's surprised me how good it is.

(I know your post wasn't a dig at puregym, it just prompted the point :) )

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I go to PureGym these days and got to say it's really good.

More squat racks than I've ever had in any gym (four! There was one in my last gym).
Two DL platforms
Two separate weights rooms (one for dumbells and cable machines, one for squats/DLs/Bench etc)

And £20 a month.

It's surprised me how good it is.

(I know your post wasn't a dig at puregym, it just prompted the point :) )

No, not at all. I go to PureGym. It's just that you can usually tell by the names of the equipment.

Does depend on which one you go to I think. The North Finchley one is mine and its excellent. The East Finchley one is mental. About 10 different sized rooms with equipment all over the gaff.

Edited by sexbelowsound

It's amazing the effect that different gyms can have. 

For years I went to a really small place it didn't have tons of equipment but it was always dead as I go at lunch so it had everything I needed. 

I now go to a place which is much bigger, has a crazy amount of equipment and pretty much every exercise device you can think of. I've seen a very noticeable change in my body shape since I've been going there. 

Edit - for the better! 

Edited by villaglint

Â