Gym Routine

olboydave

On 10/13/2016 at 20:15, Dr_Pangloss said:

HIIT is fine, it's not as though I'll be doing it every day, should be able to handle it, I consider 5-a-side pretty much an extended HIIT session lol. My shoulders are very sensitive so will play it by ear, will do some OHP on day 4 if I can manage, I do like face pulls so may add to day 3.

5 a-side is most definitely HIIT!

I basically have 4 lunchtimes (25 minutes each day) a week to do all my training that I need to do.  At the moment I usually do.

Day 1: Bench Press, Lat Pulldown, Deadlifts, Bent Over Row

Day 2: HIIT - usually treadmill

Day 3: Bench Press, Squats, Flys, Dips, Tricep Exercise

Day 4: HIIT

I wish I had more time but I am trying to do as much as I can that is varied enough to work as much of my body as possible. Am I missing a trick? Anything else I should be doing?

52 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I basically have 4 lunchtimes (25 minutes each day) a week to do all my training that I need to do.  At the moment I usually do.

Day 1: Bench Press, Lat Pulldown, Deadlifts, Bent Over Row

Day 2: HIIT - usually treadmill

Day 3: Bench Press, Squats, Flys, Dips, Tricep Exercise

Day 4: HIIT

I wish I had more time but I am trying to do as much as I can that is varied enough to work as much of my body as possible. Am I missing a trick? Anything else I should be doing?

What are your goals?

22 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Maintain weight, improve body composition i.e. less fat more muscle.

Could probably do with dropping one of those cardio sessions IMO.

Improving body composition, in spite of what you may hear, is possible it's just the long way around but if its working for you and you're happy with results then that's the most important thing.

If you're comfortable with your body weight and are willing to slowly add a couple of pounds over the winter then I'd suggest dropping the cardio and doing one session every two weeks if you want to. I'd refocus your workouts to a push/pull/legs routine and then use the 4th day to target lagging areas.

Strained a bicep tendon.....1 week off lifting, but still gonna do bench and legs (yes legs), been sore for two weeks but lifted thru it till i couldn't sleep with the pain last night.

Been lifting 10 times a week since July, was hoping to get thru till xmas before taking a break, but getting old i guess!!

• 2 weeks later...

Back on it yesterday, been rolling the tendon out, icing and pain medication, still sore, but not the pain from before. going back to 1 muscle group per day x 5 a week lifts. also going to modify bicep exercises to take the iso strain off tendon. Got 5 weeks before flying England for xmas so time to knuckle down a little bit more. Will lift a few times at home but be more 20 oz curls than anything.

On 02/11/2016 at 23:48, Dom_Wren said:

Been lifting 10 times a week since July

Buh? How in the name of all things good and holy? I know DOMS no longer becomes an issue but do you not suffer fatigue?  Or joint pain?  Tendon pain?  Actually I see above that you strained a tendon but even still that's once in 6 months at 10 times a week.  You must be made of concrete.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

Buh? How in the name of all things good and holy? I know DOMS no longer becomes an issue but do you not suffer fatigue?  Or joint pain?  Tendon pain?  Actually I see above that you strained a tendon but even still that's once in 6 months at 10 times a week.  You must be made of concrete.

To  be honest mate, i got well into it and fought thru soreness, i even tried to fight thru this tendon thing, but in the end it got me. I lift with some pretty hard core buddy's so the motivation side of it was never a problem. at times i was lifting 3 times a day 2-3 times a week. but would always take 2 days off on weekends and it just seemed to work for me. 

I've seen results i'm happy with doing legs every session but I want to switch things up. Hopefully adding in the extra day will help.

Going to go with:

Monday - Chest / Quads / Triceps

Wednesday - Back / Hamstrings / Abs

Friday - Chest / Quads / Biceps

Saturday - Back / Hamstrings / Delts

Sunday - Weak points.

Example Session for Chest and Quads focus would be.

Converging Chest Press - 3 x 10 at 93kg

Pec Deck - 3 x 10 at 120kg

Incline (Either bench, smith, dumbbells or plate loaded) 3 x 10 Weight depends on the exercise

High Cable Fly - 3 x 10 at 25kg

45 Degree Leg Press Single Leg - 3 x 10 at 35kg

45 Degree Leg Press Close Stance - 3 x 10 at 170kg

Leg Press Pyramid sets for 10 reps - 50kg to 127kg works out at 11 sets in total with the first couple being warmups

Leg Extension - 3 x 10 at 52kg

For accessories I usually to 2-3 exercises for 3 to 4 sets.

Need to add in more free weight exercises I think but the gym is machine heavy and there are only 2 benches. If you can get onto a smith machine you've had a touch.

Had to scrape the screen on the car before going to the gym tonight, hour in the gym then had to scrape it again. It's most definitely the last time I'm going to the gym in such conditions. Looks like the diet is in maintenance mode for Christmas.

On 11/10/2016 at 02:41, V01 said:

Age 35   Male

Weight: 16st 12lbs - 107.5kg

Height: 5'11.2" - 1.81m

Ideal weight: 9st 7 to 12st 12lb  - 60.6kg-81.9kg

BMI: 32.8

Ideal BMI: 18.5 to 25

Body fat: 30.6%

Ideal: 14.5 to 24.5

Bodyfat mass has gone from 49.1kg > 44.4kg > 42.7kg > 37.9kg > 36kg > 32.4kg > 32.8

Ideally it should be 17.3 to 27.5kg

Age 35   Male

Weight: 16st 6lbs - 104.5kg

Height: 5'11.6" - 1.82m

Ideal weight: 9st 9lbs to 13st  - 60.6kg-81.9kg

BMI: 31.5

Ideal BMI: 18.5 to 25

Body fat: 29.8%

Ideal: 16.1 to 25.6

Bodyfat mass has gone from 49.1kg > 44.4kg > 42.7kg > 37.9kg > 36kg > 32.4kg > 32.8 > 31.1

Ideally it should be 16.8 to 26.7kg

Dropped down to 2 days per week for Christmas with the caveat that I'm not going if I have to scrape the windscreen on the car. Expecting to lose some progress on the lifts and weight-loss, hopefully only a few pounds though.

On 29/11/2016 at 03:49, V01 said:

Had to scrape the screen on the car before going to the gym tonight, hour in the gym then had to scrape it again. It's most definitely the last time I'm going to the gym in such conditions. Looks like the diet is in maintenance mode for Christmas.

Good warm up and warm down mate ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to injure myself deadlifting, stupidity attempting a 200kg double, the first rep felt pretty clean and for some reason attempted a second. Barely got the weight off the ground and felt pain in my back, it's in the lower back/ hip region, it feels potentially like sciatica with a slight numbness in the right foot as I type. Fairly sure it is not disc related, the issue seems to be more in the pelvic region. Suffice to say I'm probably going to have to take time off, very frustrating as have been making amazing gains. Anyone had something similar to this?

Â