What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

There was always an argument about The Orb when they first landed that they were "ripping off Pink Floyd" and as a part of the dance culture of the time it was always dismissed but not very convincingly because, it was a little bit true but it didn't matter because you liked them

Then in 2010, some 20 years later they released this and it was pretty undeniable from that point onwards :D

2 CDs with the same two tracks on but one of them is in 3D60 sound - three dimensional sound from 2 channels (I can't tell the difference as I recall)

NzA4NS5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 1

Sometimes, you just need to play an album you know inside out, you know its backstory and you know what it influenced. There's something comforting in that.

For me, probably the most important album ever. Plucking numbers out of the air, I think this one album has influenced between 25-50% of the music I own

Zw.jpeg

• Like 4

On 18/02/2022 at 18:01, bickster said:

If anyone was wanting a Neil Young primer, this is the one that covers the early period (1967-77) - Buffalo Springfield, Neil Young, with Crazy Horse, CSNY and The Stills - Young Band all covered here

ZWc.jpeg

This was actually the first of his I ever bought, from TradinDisc I think it was, near the Capitol cinema, Ward End.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bickster said:

Sometimes, you just need to play an album you know inside out, you know its backstory and you know what it influenced. There's something comforting in that.

For me, probably the most important album ever. Plucking numbers out of the air, I think this one album has influenced between 25-50% of the music I own

Zw.jpeg

That's one of the  many albums (CD format) that are in my collection purely because I know they're  'important'/influential, and therefore I've previously felt I 'need' to own them. But tbh, it does very little for me, and neither do most of the bands it influenced. For that reason, it's recently gone into the pile of stuff that I've decided I should get rid of. I've realised the pointlessness of building a 'history of rock' library, if I never actually play the music with any great level of enjoyment. Time to cut it all down to what I actually like - even if it fails the 'hipster test'. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xann said:

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiODY1MDY5NS4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InRvRm9ybWF0IjoianBlZyJ9LCJ0aW1lc3RhbXAiOjE1NjM0NTU3OTl9.jpg.be30e9d553d0d4d96888ad463f337626.jpg

Les Troubadours Du Roi Baudouin - 'Missa Luba'

One of my old university lecturers had a copy of that - I can remember sneering at what I thought were his attempted (1973) hipster credentials. 

Given that I don't like religious music, choral music or African music, I've never heard it. 

On 18/02/2022 at 20:47, Seat68 said:

They have just been on BBC4 doing Papua New Guinea on an old top of the pops. 

First time watching that.

Their choice of what to do to replicate the pitch-shifted Lisa Gerrard vocal sample live was... an interesting one. 😬

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

On 15/02/2022 at 09:40, osmark86 said:

been binging Deftones and currently jamming out to their s/t release

Deftones (album) - Wikipedia

Just shaves the best Deftones album for me.  Hexagram as an opener is a riot.

Edited by GarethRDR

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Just shaves the best Deftones album for me.  Hexagram as an opener is a riot.

Diamond Eyes is my top album from them and s/t is generally lower on the list for me. But it's Deftones, they just produce magic every time so all of their albums are fantastic imo.

Hexagram is one helluva opener agreed. Those banshee wails sound so painful XD.

My personal favourite tracks from s/t are probably Minerva, Hexagram, Battle-Axe and Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event.

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Listening to The Specials debut at the moment. Trying to have an afternoon avoiding the usual suspects whilst my wife cooks tea. 

I'll probably be shot down for this but in hindsight The Specials debut was a bit crap. 

I say this as someone who was there at the time, wearing two tone suits, Docs and Fred Perrys, on the stage for the obligatory encore stage invasion

I also say this as someone who discovered Ska through the band

They are tremendously important to me both musically and politically

They were a band of their time, they and the movement were very necessary.

But that first album… I have to say, I generally prefer the originals. I never have the desire to listen to it any more. They were much better live than on record. The second album was even worse, I never really liked it

Ghost Town, however, will always be their finest moment, it is better than many bands finest moments by a long way (and Dammers even ripped off another tune for that too)

I went to see that first reunion tour, it wasn’t the same. The Specials needed their youthfulness.

I'm more likely to listen to The Beat or The Selecter's first couple of albums than I am, either of the Specials albums. The Beat were far more talented/original and The Selecter wrote their own tunes in he main. The Specials were really a hybrid cabaret band 

*runs for cover*

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'll probably be shot down for this but in hindsight The Specials debut was a bit crap. 

I say this as someone who was there at the time, wearing two tone suits, Docs and Fred Perrys, on the stage for the obligatory encore stage invasion

I also say this as someone who discovered Ska through the band

They are tremendously important to me both musically and politically

They were a band of their time, they and the movement were very necessary.

But that first album… I have to say, I generally prefer the originals. I never have the desire to listen to it any more. They were much better live than on record. The second album was even worse, I never really liked it

Ghost Town, however, will always be their finest moment, it is better than many bands finest moments by a long way (and Dammers even ripped off another tune for that too)

I went to see that first reunion tour, it wasn’t the same. The Specials needed their youthfulness.

I'm more likely to listen to The Beat or The Selecter's first couple of albums than I am, either of the Specials albums. The Beat were far more talented/original and The Selecter wrote their own tunes in he main. The Specials were really a hybrid cabaret band 

*runs for cover*

You can have that opinion, I disagree as personally I have no yearning to seek out the originals. It's not their best work by a long shot BUT I enjoy it. To contradict myself a little, I prefer the original of monkey man. 

• Like 1

Â