What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

Anyone else see the Manics at Genting last night (20th anniversary of Everything must go)? 

I didn't go, never seen the Manics. 

Quite a few of my footy chums are nuts about them and have seen them a couple of times on this tour and are currently raving about the Editors.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

The keyboard player is his wife, Elena - normally at least. So seems odd. Also it's ages since the line up changed. YFOC is OK, but not one of the best fall albums.

Believe it or not The Fall are fairly new to me. I know they've always been there in the background for a hundred years, but I've never really listened. They always struck me as a bit worthy and a bit too exulted by the serious unsmiling music people. A bit like Joy Division, or the Manic Street Preachers. Then I stumbled across Latchkey Kid by accident and decided to give them a try. By coincidence, YFOC got a re release as double vinyl & MP3 so thought I'd start there. With Imperial Wax Solvent probably the next one, most likely followed by me suddenly discovering Japanese psych folk or eurasian punk harp ten years after everyone else has been there and moved on.

Back to the Manics. I did quite enjoy that they released a song that, as is there way, references depression, cheating Scots and the death of a fan in '85. Then 24 hours later Super Furry Animals released their football song, with the lyric, bing bong bing bong bong bong bing.

@chrisp65 may I recommend "The Unutterable" as a personal favourite Fall album. Fall heads roll is another and so is the wonderful and frightening world of the Fall and so is This nations saving grace and...actually I could go on for quite a while. Oh and the infotainment scan is another absolute must hear album.

I find the fall to be like a drug. Completely addictive. Oh and Reformation tlc is another belting album. 

Because there's been some many line ups and they've been going so long there's a whole range of styles to their output and if you don't like one album, there's loads more that are completely different.  MES does humour, observation, social commentary, some amazing covers, resentment, anger and homage. mainly anger and resentment, though on the more recent stuff.

have a listen to the unutterable and I reckon, given your other tastes you'll start to get hooked

• Like 2

On 14/05/2016 at 09:40, Phumfeinz said:

It's all good stuff, though you can probably skip anything post-Tango in the Night. I saw them live in London in 2013, they were fantastic and Christine McVie came back to the band for the first time in years.

The early stuff is ok but imo the band didn't come into its own until Buckingham and Nicks joined.

i saw them last year and they were very good.  i second your last sentence.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

40 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

... They always struck me as a bit worthy and a bit too exulted by the serious unsmiling music people...

I think they're exceedingly dull, beyond a couple of Motorik numbers.

The one band member he should have sacked is that tuneless singer ;)

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I didn't go, never seen the Manics. 

Quite a few of my footy chums are nuts about them and have seen them a couple of times on this tour and are currently raving about the Editors.

I thought the Manics were pretty good, not incredible. Not an enormous amount of passion from them it did come across as going through the motions for the £££'s. 

Was great to sing along to some classics though.

pah, Rainbow. Showing your age. You need to update and get with the kids, like me mate.

My order from last week has arrived, imagine that, walking to a shop, placing an order and waiting to be contacted to go back to the shop a week later to pick it up. Anyway, all downloaded ready for the car for the journey home...

Ci1JgSpW0AAVdjn.jpg

The Fall?? come on chris,ritchie blackmore has more talent in his piss than that lot :) 

i know your a secret rainbow lover,we have been through this a number of times.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

R-1350677-1341088885-8437.jpeg.jpg

I fight
I die
Awake

I preferred them when they were that much rawer. I could never figure out though, if this cover was purposely crude in a self aware kind of way, or is just...well, a bit shit really. I assume the latter.

Â