What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Partly because of the Tesco father's day vinyl stuff (different album, I know) and because of a reference in On Topic: The Jam - Setting Sons.

220px-The_Jam_-_Setting_Sons.jpg

I think I originally bought this as a double album on tape with All Mod Cons (i.e. when I was old enough as I'd have only been 6 when it came out).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

So I was listening to Unkle the other day (Anyone into Unkle?), anyway, they do a LOT of tracks with other artists such as Mark Lanegan, Nick Cave, Grinderman, Josh Homme, Ian Brown, Thom Yorke, Duke Spirit, Richard Ashcroft and loads of others, and in one of the tracks they had someone called Gavin Clark doing the vocals. Now I had never heard of Gavin Clark before so decided to look into his music, turns out he's a bit of a tortured soul, depressed, alcoholic, deep mental issues and unfortunately he died last year. (Decent write-up on him here if anyone is interested) .

Here is a sad tale for the winter season, of a beautiful, fragile talent crushed by a careless world. It is a ghost story of sorts, of a voice rising from beyond the grave to remind us what we have lost.

Evangelist is a strange, brooding album blending trip-hop, krautrock, woozy folk, blues, gospel, dark electronica and hypnotic pyschedelia. It is all wrapped around recordings of the intimate, truth-telling voice of Gavin Clark, a singer-songwriter who died in 2015, aged 46....

Anyway, he died before finishing of his latest album and it was actually finished by Unkle. So I gave it a listen, and it's **** good!!!! 

The album is called Evangelist, one of the tracks from it was on This Is England 90's. 

evangelist-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6

A standout track so far for me is this one....

Have a listen and see if you like it (especially if you like Unkle's work). There's plenty of decent tracks on that album. Recommend. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

slightly spoiled for me by the robotic drumming

I really like the almost Krautrock, motorik drumming. It adds an extra dimension to some of the songs.

Â