What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Yeah, I'd say that's a minority viewpoint because it's not really even as if OK Computer was a move towards pop music.  It's certainly less 'radio friendly' than The Bends was. I think one of the things loved about OK Computer at the time is that it wasn't just The Bends part 2.  The Bends is bloody great too I have to add, Radiohead are a fantastic rock band when they want to be and that album showcases it perfectly.  

Never really got into Pablo Honey though.  Maybe it's because The Bends is where I jumped on the Radiohead bandwagon but I think Pablo Honey (released just after my 14th birthday) shows potential but really only has two great songs on it while The Bends (just after my 16th birthday) kills it.  Maybe a couple of years more maturity is a factor in that but I think I was at a good age to appreciate both on release.   OK Computer is something else though, everything came together there.  

It's a fantastic album to listen to while out walking.   Probably because it's an album best listened to on headphones, but just watching the world go by adds something to the songs too in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Go on.

"EDM", or "Electronic Dance Music" is a pathetically vague genre label invented by American major record labels because they wanted to rebrand a ton of music to shed "rave culture" which was associated with drug excess in the United States.

It incorporates absolutely everything from house, detroit techno, drum 'n' bass, garage, trance, dubstep and it's horrendous US counterpart 'brostep', and now effectively pop music.

Therefore, it is an absolutely shit way of describing music. It's like saying Madonna and The Rolling Stones are the same, because it's pop music.

For someone like me, who can't tell the difference between those genres, that's a useful term, then.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

For someone like me, who can't tell the difference between those genres, that's a useful term, then.

Using the term EDM sends a similar signal to kicking the tyres in a used car showroom :)

EDM is probably a better term than IDM, or at least less pretentious. I think Kid A is Radiohead's best album, OK Computer is alright but has some weak songs, maybe not weak just ones that I don't like. When I used to listen to Radiohead one of my favourite releases of theirs was the 'Airbag How Am I driving' EP.

10 minutes ago, useless said:

EDM is probably a better term than IDM, or at least less pretentious.

You're spending a lot of time on Yank websites Useless, it's simply not acceptable this side of the pond :) 

I do spend a lot of time on US websites but have only recently come across the 'EDM' acronym, even then It didn't register with me what it actually meant for a while, I'm still not sure now, and don't really care to be honest : ). I've never used the term myself.

1 hour ago, useless said:

EDM is probably a better term than IDM, or at least less pretentious. I think Kid A is Radiohead's best album, OK Computer is alright but has some weak songs, maybe not weak just ones that I don't like. When I used to listen to Radiohead one of my favourite releases of theirs was the 'Airbag How Am I driving' EP.

I really can't think of a weak song on OK Computer.  'Fitter Happier' maybe, but it's not really a song as much as it's an interlude which marks the transition between the two discs if you have the album on vinyl.  I'm not even sure they put the best songs out as singles when they released it, Let Down and Electioneering are two of the greatest album tracks I've ever heard. 

Speaking of the Airbag EP.  Did you phone the number? 

I've never really given Radiohead a proper listen. Of the ones I remember:

I HATE Creep, meh to Karma Police and love Street Spirit. So I guess The Bends might be the one for me.

OK Computer is such a good album. As is Rainbows, and Hail to the Thief, god damn I need another Radiohead binge! 

Weirdly my least favourite album is The Bends, it's really really good, but I find it quite boring. Maybe due to overplaying it so much. 

I bought my wife that cooper temple clause album. It's an acquired taste for me. 

Definitely an acquired taste, but See This Through and Leave and KUTFALTFBL are both **** awesome albums. The third after Didz left was a bit rubbish.

Edited by PieFacE

I didn't like Electioneering or Climbing up the walls, and didn't feel that Lucky suited the rest of the album. I never phoned the number, I think I read at one time that it was an answer machine with someone mumbling something, can't be sure though, might be thinking of something else.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

I didn't like Electioneering or Climbing up the walls, and didn't feel that Lucky suited the rest of the album. I never phoned the number, I think I read at one time that it was an answer machine with someone mumbling something, can't be sure though, might be thinking of something else.

Both of those are my favourite tracks!! Climbing up the Walls is so dark and desperate, such a strange, weird yet wonderful atmosphere in that track. The scream at the end gets me every time. Love listening to that track loud. 

Back on topic, gave this a couple of listens today, and I think I like it... needs more time. 

Daughter - Not To Disappear

daughter-not-to-disappear.jpg

Edited by PieFacE

Because of the noodly progness of their sound now, I cant get on with them, dont get me wrong they arent up there with Coldplay, who arent noodly progness, just awful, but I am in the dont like camp. That said they wouldnt want me as a fan anyway as I like faithless the wonderboy and anybody can play the guitar, that sort of nonsense.

Edited by Seat68

I'm too edgy for Radiohead these days, and as I hinted at, I think it's more interesting to listen their influences rather than the band itself. I don't think they've done anything interesting for a while now, one of their problems is that they always sound over-produced, something that they've admitted themselves. Still I'll be curious to hear what their new record sounds like.

Speaking of Radiohead, I'm surprised there's not been a 'Britpop' revival. Indie music has been incredibly bland for a long time now.

Edited by useless
Double post.

47 minutes ago, useless said:

Speaking of Radiohead, I'm surprised there's not been a 'Britpop' revival. Indie music has been incredibly bland for a long time now.

I was talking to my mate the other day, that there seems to be quite a lot of Britpop / Indie nights on again, these days. I suppose it's like when I was a teenager, and there were a lot of 70's nights. They mostly seem to be attended by 30 to 40 somethings, reliving their youth, and wishing it was 1996 again. Awful.

• Like 1

Â