What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Zep ain't metal!

Hard rock/blues rock

Bloody genre splitting. OK, in that case, I don't like metal. I mean, sure, if it's that or hip hop, dance music or reggae, I'll take metal. But it just all seems so ridiculous.

R-5192431-1387046638-6591.png.jpg

Evol - Harder Posher  Pinker

Sorry's there's no youtube this time, but if you want to listen along with me, there's an mp3 link on Evol's website here.

Cheers mate, think I'll give that a miss [emoji2]

• Like 1

Wasn't the term "Heavy Metal"  actually created by Led Zeppelin in relation to their roadies spray painting "Heavy Metal"  on all their tour equipment? 

No. It was invented by a US rock writer, to describe either The Byrds (!) or Steppenwolf, depending on which story you believe.

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

No. It was invented by a US rock writer, to describe either The Byrds (!) or Steppenwolf, depending on which story you believe.

It's in the lyrics of "born to be wild" by Steppenwolf

"I like smoke and lightning, heavy metal thunder"

So that might make sense. Plus I always thought of Zeppelin as a heavy metal band at the time they were around, but not so much now. I think the term means something different in this era.

• Like 1

zep definitely are not metal but they helped mould it. they do have some songs though that you could describe as metal ish. 70s purple and sabbath were more metal for sure but i have an hard time lumping those two down as metal. for me the first proper metal band were judas priest then after them you had the likes of maiden,metallica and all the others that followed. im personally not a big fan of metal and some of it i cant stand.

It's in the lyrics of "born to be wild" by Steppenwolf

"I like smoke and lightning, heavy metal thunder"

So that might make sense. Plus I always thought of Zeppelin as a heavy metal band at the time they were around, but not so much now. I think the term means something different in this era.

This. The term was in wide currency in the early 70s, and if you'd asked anybody to give examples, they would unhesitatingly have said Zep, Purple, Sabbath and Heep. So when the likes of Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Saxon, etc., came along in the late 70s, they were labelled The New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

The fact that it later got distilled into something far more extreme and stylised shouldn't be used to rewrite history.

• Like 1

Too many genres and sub genres, people crave labels and the next new thing.

When only 25 people like 'urban psychobilly' and then the band splits in two and one of the new bands is described as 'post urban hard psychobilly' it's probably time to just label it all as music. 

Hair metal, death thrash sex metal, urban dubstep grime trance, nu trip hop lite. 

Music is music. 

• Like 2

Spotify told me my favourite genre in 2015 was Bow Pop.

Didn't have a clue what it was.

Had been looking for a sample in a hip hop record, and had played the first few bars in this 30 odd times.

3 minutes ago, Xann said:

Spotify told me my favourite genre in 2015 was Bow Pop.

Didn't have a clue what it was.

Had been looking for a sample in a hip hop record, and had played the first few bars in this 30 odd times.

Did that used to be one of those BBC fillers?

They had a sort of light classical thing and a Justin Heyward track about autumn that they used to put on to fill the five minute gaps that somehow appeared in the schedule. Anyone remember those days?

Bin bags on the streets, pinching coal from down the docks, jumpers for goal posts, candles for power cuts...

They were a project of Gian Piero Reverberi an Italian producer and soundtrack composer. Some of his earlier stuff is right up my alley.

This was Goal of The Month music on MOTD years ago.

Because it's him, there's likely to be a production music angle on the releases. It was used widely everywhere.

The albums sold well, big Euro hit. Win Win for him.

Have a bit of Test Card/waiting about/segue music on Winchester Hospital, Extreme (it's really not) and Boosey & Hawkes.

Chandos does them on CD and Amazon would appear to have volumes of Test Card MP3s, but mostly they're too boring, even for me.

'Forever Autumn' from War of the Worlds was it?

Edited by Xann
likely babbling

yep, Forever Autumn.

I'll have a look for the animated piece that went with the other one, it was sort of space men / aliens playing violins. I'll do it later, I have to demolish a large plate of roast gammon and fried eggs now.

Â