• Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies to everyone for my rants earlier :oops:

Especially to the Bluenose :winkold:

I sometimes react without thinking, and my love for this club sometimes manifest themselves in that way. Its Family. :(

Anyways....

I still dont think Martinez is what we need, and i think all we are doing is going though a list and see what they say, before making a final decision.

I have a feeling that decision has been made, but its only fair to interview the other candidates.

I just hope that Randy and the board are looking at Martinez because they genuinely think he is the best manager available to us. And not becuase he would be cheap and wouldnt demand a large transfer budget. If they have decided to be content with finishing mid table and no longer have ambition to break into the top 4/5 then it's time to move on. Im not saying I think this is the case and hope to God it isnt. Its just we have an opportunity to show our ambition here and we could be in danger of taking yet another backwards step...

Can the people who are saying this is all Faulkner's fault and he's ruining the club please substantiate these beliefs with proof?

All I see on this board is hear say, wild stabs in the dark and blame mongering.

The life of a Villa fan!

Martinez won't be the man to take us forward if he is the new manager. His defence at Wigan was absolutely appauling, losing 9-1 at Spurs, 8-1 against Chelsea with a 6-0 at home to the same team as well? That is horrendous.

Is this how far our club has fallen
The amount of times I've seen this phrase used in relation something that hasn't happened yet is ridiculous.

Why, his name should be a million miles off any shortlist

The fact we are interviewing him is very worrying

It scares me how some people are trying to put a positive spin on Martinez being appointed. It shows how desperate we have become.

Who said he's being appointed? I'm kinda getting the vibe he turned us down out of loyalty to Wigan. Probably has a liking for pies or something.... hey maybe he'll buy Dunne as he can recommend all the good pie shops ;-)

Martinez > Incredibly overrated.

Every facet of the running and operations of a football club is geared towards one thing. The Matchday. Under Steve Bruce, Wigan where a difficult and plucky proposition. Under Roberto Matinez they have become a slightly better version of Tony Mowbrays West Brom side from a few years ago. The comparison is there for all to see. Would Villa fans have taken Tony Mowbray if we happened to be looking for a manager at the time? I think not, and it's not just because he doesn't have a foreign name. Pretty football alone doesn't get you results.

Martinez won't be the man to take us forward if he is the new manager. His defence at Wigan was absolutely appauling, losing 9-1 at Spurs, 8-1 against Chelsea with a 6-0 at home to the same team as well? That is horrendous.

Similar record to us then.

The amount of times I've seen this phrase used in relation something that hasn't happened yet is ridiculous.

Why, his name should be a million miles off any shortlist

The fact we are interviewing him is very worrying

I'm sorry, has the Aston Villa manager been appointed yet?

No. When he is, and if it is Martinez, and if he does badly with us, then you'd be able to fairly say "is this how far we've fallen?".

I know... Imagine getting hammered at Chelsea.

Could be worse though, he could have been in charge of a team battered by newly promoted newcastle as well.

Living in Swansea, I all I can say is everything they have acheived all started from Martinez.

The style of football, the determination and not going out of their means to try and get success.

He likes to build a solid defence (ok problem with that at Wigan), two midfielders that go and get the ball off the defence to start any forward movement, another cm to link up and find gaps to play in. Then two wingers to join in and provide a threat and the striker to stay in front of goal (DB).

If the fans can understand the keep ball philosophy then it can be very enjoyable and very effective. But a lot of fans get annoyed with not going forward quickly.

I think he could be good for us.

I don't think Martinez is ready to manage a big club yet. If he'd steered Wigan to a couple of top 10 finishes, with maybe a good cup run - he'd be worth considering.

To put in perspective, he's not achieved as much as Curbishley did at Charlton - and I think we all feel the same way about Curbishley as Villa manager.

Again I agree with this. Some people need to just chill the f*** out, sit back and see what happens, before they start getting angry at something that has been reported in the media with no confirmation from the club, and hasn't even happened yet.

Bitch be cool.

Personally I think the board are looking at two options – Firstly a senior high profile manager with pedigree and experience (MM’s meltdown man?). If they can’t get him then in reserve a young, hungry and upcoming manager who plays the type of football we are clearly trying to convert to.

I think Martinez ticks all the boxes in this second category.

1. Same footballing philosophy as Houllier, therefore the work on making the change from very direct/one dimensional football to a possession/passing game can be continued rather than wasted.

2. The transfer targets shortlisted by Houllier can be brought in because (a) Martinez is more likely to accept that than a more senior man and (B) because they will fit into his style of play.

3. Martinez as a young manager is more likely to be open to the idea of working under a DoF should Houllier be fit enough to return in this role.

It scares me how some people are trying to put a positive spin on Martinez being appointed. It shows how desperate we have become.

Who said he's being appointed? I'm kinda getting the vibe he turned us down out of loyalty to Wigan. Probably has a liking for pies or something.... hey maybe he'll buy Dunne as he can recommend all the good pie shops ;-)

I dont think he'll come either, whether he turns us down or we him is another matter, although I wouldnt be surprised if he see's it as too much of a step up for himself at the moment.

Again I agree with this. Some people need to just chill the f*** out, sit back and see what happens, before they start getting angry at something that has been reported in the media with no confirmation from the club, and hasn't even happened yet.

Bitch be cool.

I'm sitting here like a good little Fonzi. 8)