• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Ancelotti apparently being our first choice to Martinez... fair bit of a drop there.

To Martinez possibly turning us down?

I actually wouldn't be too gutted with martinez

Problem is, how shit will that make us look if Martinez turns us down to stay at Wigan?

How can the board not even consider Mark Hughes (told Fulham we didn't want to speak to him etc) yet we ask Wigan for permission to speak with Roberto Martinez?

Do the board really think that Martinez > Hughes ?

Please some one tell me what Martinez has achieved in his career to make him the ideal candidate for my football club.

He is young and foreign, therefore he has a football philosophy!

Other than that jack shit!

I have a funny feeling Randys at home now or in his hotel suite reading this message board (as he obviously does after the McClaren debate) thinking ..What a bunch of cun*s I can't do right from wrong.

I include myself in that as I've posted loads of negative stuff about Raffa but if he can't get Moyes, can't temp Ancelotti or Louis Van gaal if they were ever on there radar then I'd be happy to take Martinez and give him his chance at the big time. We all gotta start somewhere whether at Wigan,Preston or as an interpreter for Bobby Robson. Yeah he's a rookie but he's also highly regarded in the game. We need some stability going forward from now and I think he will be loyal and also honoured to be the manager at such an established and huge club like AVFC.

If he ticks Randys boxes and shows the board a passion and a desire to become our next manager during his interview then get him in and give him his chance.

If you look at the other so called candidates there's no contest..

Hughes - Would be off like a shot if the Man U job came up.

Moyes - Seems to have no ambition (although he's my man)

McClaren - Just wants to rebuild his destroyed reputation.

Coyle - Another rookie but is he any better than Martinez?

Benitez - Big Ego, will always think he's better than us.

Ancolotti - Only interested in the top 4.

Rijkaard - Zero knowledge of the English game.

Well let them go, I'm sorry but I'm sick of the **** players trying to dictate who should manage the club. We're going after a promising young manager who has worked on shoe string budgets and his side have stayed up, let's Not think the name actually think who suits AVFC, an up and coming manager whose ambitious has a philosophy to play football.

We are alot bigger club than Wigan yet somehow they lose the same number of gams than us last season and only conceded 2 more goals Our players and facilities are alot better than Wigan. Martinez did well to keep them up as on paper they where one of if not the weakest team on paper.

Well as Mr Whelan has commented on the professionalism of the approach for their manager......

N'Zogbia wouldn't be a bad replacement for Ashley Young and while we're at it Al Habsi wouldn't be a bad replacement for Friedel neither IMHO.

Sorry Martinez not good enough - no ambition in this club what so ever, complete and utter farce, the Villa's a joke - enjoy the mid table finishes and odd relegation scraps!

Now we know why Doug sold to Randy Lerner, reminded him of his younger self!

We're a football club, not a **** bank.

Hang on guys, let's not get ahead of ourselves, all we know is that we've asked to speak to Martinez, that's all. Randy may very well be interviewing him as part of a long list of candidates, as he's not a free agent we've had to write to his club to ask to speak to him, as a result the press have got wind of it. It's different when dealing with free managers as you only need to contact their agents or, in certain cases, the manager directly, therefore there's no real way for the press to find out unless a journo happens to bump into a random agent.

Asking to speak to Martinez does not = Hiring Martinez.

For what it's worth I don't think he'll be a disaster anyway, he seems incredibly smart and has done well at Swansea and Wigan given the available resources. He's young, ambitious and gets his sides playing very good football, even if the defense is a little leaky as a consequence.

Unlike McClaren, Martinez is yet to make any major cock ups as a manager, don't write him off before he's even had chance.

How can the board not even consider Mark Hughes (told Fulham we didn't want to speak to him etc) yet we ask Wigan for permission to speak with Roberto Martinez?

Do the board really think that Martinez > Hughes ?

Problem with Hughes is he would be gone within 2 years. The bloke has absolutely no loyalty

So, if as stated in earlier posts which kind of tie up with SSN reports that Rafa wanted 60m to spend on the squad, do we take that as Rafa was being ridiculous? or do we see it as a top manager is saying we are 60m away from a squad which can challenge & the club are not willing to go to that level? Just interested to see peoples thoughts on that really?! :?

My thoughts on that are as follows...

I wouldnt trust rafa to spend 60 pence, let alone 60 million.

And no i honestly dont think we need that sort of investment, although im not saying it wouldnt be nice

:lol:

As much as I have a passion in football and follow it religiously , I haven't the first clue about being a football manager and I am pretty sure that nobody that posts on this board has an idea nor have they experienced it a professional level. As a fan, how does this make us qualified to decide they are not good enough in their profession which they have done the graft, got the badges and spent their professional life in the game itself.