Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

9 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Someone told me years ago that once something becomes a synonym for a particular gadget, it is a matter of law that it ceases to contravene copyright.

No doubt this must have been decided and established in case law.

If you fail to defend a trademark then it passes into the public domain. Copyright has no such provision (not in England and Wales anyway).

Ah, what Bicks said.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah that’s not quite the same, hoover became a colloquialism for any brand of vacuum cleaner very early on in the invention's life cycle. It didn’t matter what brand it was, they were all hoovers. Helped I guess by the brand's semi-descriptive qualities in relation to the action of using it.

But I do get exactly what you are saying it’s like naming rights and event spaces. ThenArena in Liverpool was originally the Echo Arena, same in Manchester with the MEN Arena. Neither are called that now but it’s still what people call them locally. I never heard anyone refer to the Arena as the M&S Bank Arena. Huddersfield will always play at the McAlpine Stadium etc

The Metropole Hotel at the NEC. Always referred to as The Metropole even though it's had several names. Also see The Old Varsity Tavern in Selly Oak. 

People should just stop **** with names. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh yeah. A guy I work with gave his car a girls name and talks of her like she's part of his family. 

This however is one of the less weird things about him. 

Same guy also refers to his holidays as his hollibobs. That should justify bringing back the guillotine. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

There are guitarists who give their guitars names, too. Probably started by B. B. King's Lucille, Clapton (and Harrison)'s Lucy and Keef's Micawber. 

Weird. 

I suppose musical instruments could be said to have a personality.

Presumably Keef named his guitar Micawber, because when he was writing songs, he was always hoping "something would turn up".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Also see The Old Varsity Tavern in Selly Oak. 

Is the Dogpool still extant? 

That was one that was supposedly called the 'Elizabethan Days' for years, before they gave in and changed it back. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Is the Dogpool still extant? 

That was one that was supposedly called the 'Elizabethan Days' for years, before they gave in and changed it back. 

In Stirchley/Selly Park? 

Don't remember that name, was called The Hibernian for years though. 

Think it's just derelict but with the resurgence of Stirchley you would think it just a matter of time. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Xela said:

Its a vacuum, unless its a Hoover :) 

If you’re going to get picky, and I believe you should because I never use the term “hoover”, then you need to be clear that it’s a vacuum cleaner.

It’s not a vacuum itself; it cleans vacua.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2023 at 13:24, sharkyvilla said:

Hate to be that guy but should it still be called 'manslaughter' in this day and age?

I dunno. I find people who say "Hate to be that guy" actually LOVE being that guy :);)

On 26/11/2023 at 13:00, mjmooney said:

Nah, they're all hoovers (small 'h'). 

Same as sellotape, and countless other trade names that have become generic. 

It's sticky back plastic. Didn't you ever see Valerie Singleton?

8 minutes ago, colhint said:

Sticky back plastic was not sellotape. I think the popular brand name they didn't want to announce was Fablon for SBP. Sellotape was just sticky tape

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, colhint said:

No, no, no. That was sticky tape. Sticky back plastic was Fablon. 

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

Sticky back plastic was not sellotape. I think the popular brand name they didn't want to announce was Fablon for SBP. Sellotape was just sticky tape

No wonder none of my models worked.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

there are more than seven billion people in the world but when I'm walking down a country lane in the middle of nowhere on a gray winter day not a soul can see me except for the souls of the birds in th trees maybe

12 minutes ago, useless said:

there are more than seven billion people in the world but when I'm walking down a country lane in the middle of nowhere on a gray winter day not a soul can see me except for the souls of the birds in th trees maybe

And whilst those bird souls don't really understand, they're still thinking "you dirty, little bastard".

• Like 1

One for the muso VTers I guess....but I often wonder at this time of year whether the school kids in the Wizzard "I wish it could be Christmas every day " get royalties or were they paid off at the time ? I wonder the same about Pink Floyd's "leave those kids alone" chorus.....bearing in mind noddy holder admitting his Xmas hit is his pension.

One for the boring thread I suppose....

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

One for the muso VTers I guess....but I often wonder at this time of year whether the school kids in the Wizzard "I wish it could be Christmas every day " get royalties or were they paid off at the time ? I wonder the same about Pink Floyd's "leave those kids alone" chorus.....bearing in mind noddy holder admitting his Xmas hit is his pension.

I'd imagine it is only the listed writers of the song that would get royalties. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Noddy Holder and Jim Lea do not feel the need to jump back on to the Slade train, they were the primary songwriters in the band. Dave Hill was not a songwriter and still tours as Slade. The writers make the money, Wizzards Stockland Green school I suspect got a pack of Jaffa cakes. 

• Thanks 1

Â