Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

6 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

I find the Met Office weather forecasting is very accurate, so I don't bother with any others.

It’s my preference too, but I inevitably look at others to see if they corroborate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

I find the Met Office weather forecasting is very accurate, so I don't bother with any others.

Not round here it isn't. 

With depressing predictability: 

We've just now out for a short drive to a local beauty spot. Met Office says 10% chance of rain. Get here, pay the £5 car park fee... and the heavens open in biblical fashion. About to give up and go home. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Not round here it isn't. 

With depressing predictability: 

We've just now out for a short drive to a local beauty spot. Met Office says 10% chance of rain. Get here, pay the £5 car park fee... and the heavens open in biblical fashion. About to give up and go home. 

Forgot your waterproof? 

Just now, sidcow said:

Forgot your waterproof? 

Stupidly decided not to take one. But even if I had, it wouldn't have been worth it. 

Inevitably, five minutes after we headed back home, the sun came out. 

But it was all good, as I got home in time to see the match. 

I have an aunt who is utterly obsessed with the weather. Literally everytime you speak to her she'll mention the weather, even if it has no relevance.

If I post a picture on facebook or instagram on holiday or something, she'll post "Hope you're having a good time, 22 degrees here"

I find it really strange

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 27/08/2023 at 00:17, chrisp65 said:

There’s glib bit of cliche that goes there’s no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothing.

For years I thought I couldn’t possibly deliberately be outside in the rain. Then for reasons I don’t recall I realised you can pretty much ignore rain. If you’re running or playing football then just get wet. If you’re shopping, drinking, walking, sightseeing, buy a half decent waterproof.

It’s genuinely quite liberating to just worry about it less. Let the bucket hat set you free.

Or go bald. It's  much cheaper and your head is harder to lose

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I have an aunt who is utterly obsessed with the weather. Literally everytime you speak to her she'll mention the weather, even if it has no relevance.

If I post a picture on facebook or instagram on holiday or something, she'll post "Hope you're having a good time, 22 degrees here"

I find it really strange

That's just usually someone with not much to say.  Easiest topic for unwelcome small talk is to just mention the weather.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I find it really strange

I like the sound of your aunt. Weather is kind of amazing.

All weather, generally, rewards deep contemplation, in my experience. I find weather more fascinating than most films, songs, and TikToks, for example. Even dull weather offers certain comforts. So it's not hard for me to imagine how someone could make the weather their obsession. Why does it seem like older people sit around and talk about the weather all the time? It's because, very simply, they've figured out what we will all figure out at about age 70 or so. Weather is better than culture. My parents are alive in the 80s and 90s -- and they're both desperate devotees and suburban poets of weather news.

Except, of course, weather exists as a socially constructed phenomenon, too, so it's not necessarily not a cultural object, too, I suppose, as the Scot-American writer John Muir  (who more or less started the conservation movement in America) makes so clear in his work ...

There is always something deeply exciting, not only in the sounds of winds in the woods, which exert more or less influence over every mind, but in their varied waterlike flow as manifested by the movements of the trees, especially those of the conifers. By no other trees are they rendered so extensively and impressively visible, not even by the lordly tropic palms or tree-ferns responsive to the gentlest breeze. The waving of a forest of the giant Sequoias is indescribably impressive and sublime, but the pines seem to me the best interpreters of winds. They are mighty waving goldenrods, ever in tune, singing and writing wind-music all their long century lives. Little, however, of this noble tree-waving and tree-music will you see or hear in the strictly alpine portion of the forests. The burly Juniper, whose girth sometimes more than equals its height, is about as rigid as the rocks on which it grows. The slender lash-like sprays of the Dwarf Pine stream out in wavering ripples, but the tallest and slenderest are far too unyielding to wave even in the heaviest gales. They only shake in quick, short vibrations. The Hemlock Spruce, however, and the Mountain Pine, and some of the tallest thickets of the Two-leaved species bow in storms with considerable scope and gracefulness. But it is only in the lower and middle zones that the meeting of winds and woods is to be seen in all its grandeur.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I find it really strange

Ermmm. She just sounds British to me? 

On 31/08/2023 at 13:02, PussEKatt said:

I wonder how many trophies Pep.G would get if he managed a team like Stoke,SHA, or even Brighton or WHU ?!

None with the first two clubs. Maybe a cup or two with the latter two clubs.

Even if they could have a serious crack at winning stuff, season after season, a manager doing well at Brighton would attract the attention of a bigger, richer club before amassing a significant amount of silverware (Potter, big move without any trophies).

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

But at the same time you can guarantee David Moyes isn't doing what pep is doing with this Man City team

There's also other variables

Would Pep be able to win trophies with those teams mentioned with no money? Probably not. I don't think any manager in the world could go to Stoke or SHA and win trophies on any sort of regular basis (obviously a one off league cup win or something is always possible)

But could he go to those clubs, with a decent financial backing, and turn them into trophy winning teams? Absolutely he could.

It wouldn't be on the same scale as Man City obviously, but he'd win stuff

Â