Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

When people want to illustrate how evil or repugnant someone is, Adolf Hitler’s name is typically used. 

Before the Second World War, whose name was used to embody evil? Was there one? Was there an equivalent for Godwin’s Law where, sat around the dinner table, someone might say “Oh there you go again, not everyone can be compared to Vlad the Impaler, you know…”?

My suspicion is that there wasn’t really a similar figure that was familiar to most people. A lot of the UK population might have been familiar with Napoleon as someone who was the enemy, but I don’t think he would be viewed as synonymous with evil.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

When people want to illustrate how evil or repugnant someone is, Adolf Hitler’s name is typically used. 

Before the Second World War, whose name was used to embody evil? Was there one? Was there an equivalent for Godwin’s Law where, sat around the dinner table, someone might say “Oh there you go again, not everyone can be compared to Vlad the Impaler, you know…”?

My suspicion is that there wasn’t really a similar figure that was familiar to most people. A lot of the UK population might have been familiar with Napoleon as someone who was the enemy, but I don’t think he would be viewed as synonymous with evil.

Good wondering! 

Jack the Ripper maybe for UK people? 

I'm thinking, and I may be wrong here, I usually am, but would the average family in the 1920's know about people like Vlad the Impaler, Ivan the Terrible or Genghis Khan. Unless you were working in academia, would you be exposed to that information, if you left school at 15 and worked in a factory or a forge? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

His namesake. Vlad the Impaler. 

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Good wondering! 

Jack the Ripper maybe for UK people? 

I'm thinking, and I may be wrong here, I usually am, but would the average family in the 1920's know about people like Vlad the Impaler, Ivan the Terrible or Genghis Khan. Unless you were working in academia, would you be exposed to that information, if you left school at 15 and worked in a factory or a forge? 

Possibly but would more likely be Jack The Ripper or a popular fictitional character like Sweeney Todd. Or possibly whoever the Small Heath captain was at the time. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I guess that was the role of Satan, Mephistopheles, the Bogeyman, etc in most cultures.

On the subject of Hitler, I found this article the other day

https://www.timesofisrael.com/a-hebron-teacher-named-hitler-palestinians-reckon-with-loaded-names/

A Hebron teacher named Hitler: Palestinians reckon with loaded names

Palestinian man formerly named Saddam Hussein says it was ‘the source of psychological and physical suffering’

Hitler, Castro and Saddam Hussein meet in a bar. It may sound like the beginning of a joke, but in the West Bank and Gaza it is actually possible.

Palestinians often name their children after famous celebrities, national heroes or backers of their cause.

But from time to time, they pick far more controversial names and the children have to live with the consequences.

Hitler Abu Hamad is not proud to carry the name of a man responsible for the slaughter of millions.

“There is no relationship between my name and the actions of Adolf Hitler,” he told AFP at his home in the city of Hebron in the West Bank. “I hate what he did.”

“I am against killing, violence and human rights abuses, but I got used to my name and it is part of my character.”

Palestinian Hitler Abu Hamad, deputy head at a school, points at his nose, which was allegedly broken when he was 15 by an Israeli army officer when he asked him his name the soldier flew off the handle, in the West Bank city of Hebron, on September 26, 2017.(AFP PHOTO / HAZEM BADER)

😳

• Shocked 1

On 09/03/2022 at 15:05, villa4europe said:

How different types of animal do you think you've eaten? 

Like any true Norwegian over a certain age, I've eaten whale and reindeer.  Am I the only one?

8 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Like any true Norwegian over a certain age, I've eaten whale and reindeer.  Am I the only one?

I've had reindeer in Finland.  I was told by a few people not to have whale when in Iceland. 

I had it in Canada, can't remember a thing about it if I'm honest, ate elk and caribou in the same trip and it all just blurs in to one very well cooked good size piece of meat that was decent on the menu but too expensive once the bill came with tax and tip 

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Are there any situations where an out of court settlement is viewed as anything other than an admission of guilt?

Maybe where the court case could involve lots of embarrassing / sensitive information being revealed, even though the main accusation is untrue?

16 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Maybe where the court case could involve lots of embarrassing / sensitive information being revealed, even though the main accusation is untrue?

or where both parties realise that the only thing that will come out of it is their lawyers christmas party...

in the contractual claims world for example most things get resolved via dispute resolution because the costs if you go to court are horrific and someone will end up paying them meaning its not worth it most of the time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Are there any situations where an out of court settlement is viewed as anything other than an admission of guilt?

Probably not.  But many people settle because its cheaper than paying lawyers to win the case.  If the other party has no assets you can't even get your costs paid.  

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

on the basis we aren't talking about Ronaldo going in dry on some girl in Vegas anymore , I'd say they work 

I believe the theory is often , you can re-earn that money in a week /month  , but if you go to court you could be ruined 

Â