Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

And the word it replaces is apparently an archaic term for a... clearing in the woods. 

Old Norse. Thwitan, which also evolved into thwaite. So now you can tell all your mates with thwaite in their surname that they really are clearings in the woods 

I wonder how much the demographic of VT has changed over the years.

I created my account in 2008 when I was 20 and there seemed to be plenty of other posters around the same age as me (most of whom are still around).

It's just my perception and I'll probably be proved completely wrong, but I feel like I'm still amongst the younger users here. I'm guessing teenagers and people in their early 20s don't really use forums much. It's all about tweets and that tick tocky thing thing isn't it?

There also used to be a fair few females who posted on here too, but I think we scared them all away.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

And the word it replaces is apparently an archaic term for a... clearing in the woods. 

Can't find any reference to either of the rhyming words to archaic terms for glades. Oh well such is life.

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Old Norse. Thwitan, which also evolved into thwaite. So now you can tell all your mates with thwaite in their surname that they really are clearings in the woods 

OK found some refences for this ... but nothing official ... thanks

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

I created my account in 2008 when I was 20 and there seemed to be plenty of other posters around the same age as me (most of whom are still around).

I joined VT on 21st January, 2004, one week short of my 50th birthday. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I joined in 2006, but don't think i regularly posted for about 6 or 7 years. 

I think there are a lot of posters in Off Topic around my age (41) or a few years either side. 

I always think the youngsters go on the Facebook groups and stuff like that. 

This forum has done well to survive. A lot of forums (fora?) have died a death due to Facebook over the years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

It's just my perception and I'll probably be proved completely wrong, but I feel like I'm still amongst the younger users here. I'm guessing teenagers and people in their early 20s don't really use forums much. It's all about tweets and that tick tocky thing thing isn't it?

There also used to be a fair few females who posted on here too, but I think we scared them all away.

From what my daughter tells me, she kind of uses forums, but they’re known as servers. She uses them to chat about her interests in the same way we use VT, but they’re much more specific. I.e. bearded dragons or black metal. Not as much room for off topic. They look like a forum but you can create them yourself. That’s if my 40 year old bloke brain understands it right. She’s 21. My son who’s 18, only has the attention span for TikTok, Snapchat and Twitter. He’d be bored reading anything over a few sentences. (Yet strangely he still got the highest grades in his school for English literature, History, RS etc... so I know he can read if he has to!) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

That seems like a lifetime ago. I still hadn’t erm...I wasn’t a man of the world yet.

Do you often wonder what your last 'boy of the world' VT post was, and your first 'man of the world' VT post? I bet you do now that I've mentioned it, cuz you're you, and you do that kinda thing :lol:

• Like 1

Â