Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

My question is.  Who hasn't fingered a beavers butt and tasted their fingers afterwards?

Also known as Friday night for you

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

Have you tried Rambutan and Jackfruit?

(I used to work in for an exotic fruit import/export company!)

Love rambutans, they're delicious, don't think I tried jackfruit though, I don't recognise the pictures. They sound very sweet, which I'm not opposed to at all. 

That's a pretty interesting job BTW!

54 minutes ago, Kingman said:

When you get older do we shrink?.. Or was there a generation of small people?

I think a bit of both. We do shrink, but things like lifestyle and nutrition have an effect - the (working class) generations that grew up before WWII didn't have a very good diet. Average height has increased since then. 

Why do we have likes/dislikes/tastes/preferences? 

For example, lots of people love eating fruit. I don't, even though I know it is good for me. Why would evolution produce someone who dislikes nutritious foodstuffs? 

I guess it's a random genetic mutation that in a 'wild' environment would mean I'm likely to die before reproducing. 

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Why do we have likes/dislikes/tastes/preferences? 

For example, lots of people love eating fruit. I don't, even though I know it is good for me. Why would evolution produce someone who dislikes nutritious foodstuffs? 

I guess it's a random genetic mutation that in a 'wild' environment would mean I'm likely to die before reproducing. 

When there's plenty, we develop preferences. It's a first world thing innit, even our pets can be fussy eaters food is so plentiful.

Plus of course, your aversion to fruit could one day mean you avoid the great fruit poisoning event that wipes out 99.9% of us, leaving you and a small bunch of banana haters to repopulate the world.

But mainly, I guess you just grew up at just the right time in the right place, when you could afford to be fussy. Perhaps 100 years ago you'd have eaten any old stuff you could get your hands on. To twist an old cliche, I doubt there are too many starving in refugee camps that are fussy about their fruit intake or whether there are onions in the soup.

Haven't we evolved not to really like fruit and veg as kids to stop us picking up and eating harmful vegetation?  Gradually our taste buds change to find them more palatable, though obviously some people choose to remain fussy eaters for life.

Â