Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

Rijkaard or Benitez for me, ok he didn't do great at Inter, but he won two trophies anyway.

Rijkaard has done well wherever he's done and has a Champions League medal in his arsenal - but Sparta Rotterdam nearly got relegated, but that wasn't entirely his fault as the board there had little money.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sorry but if he sign mcclaren because randy didnt want to upset fulham and get hughes I will be pissed off and that will be an understatement, football is business, get on with it Randy!!

To steal a twitter joke,

Randy - an egg, he couldn't poach

Out of interest, re Hughes. As it stands we can't get him till the 1st July as he is serving his months notice, but is it possible that Villa could negotiate a small fee with Fulham to waive that clause? Not saying they would, but is it possible that it could happen if Villa wanted him right away.

frank rijkaard is the man to help our club reach its potential he will develop and bring young ones in just like at barcelona.

Give him a shot in the prem im sure he'll do what villa have been missing.

Other than Barcelona isn't his management record somewhat lacking?

KNVB (1998–2000)

Rijkaard's coaching career began when he was appointed manager of the Netherlands national football team in 1998. He had previously served as an assistant coach, along with Johan Neeskens and Ronald Koeman under the managerial tenure of Guus Hiddink. At the time, he was not taken seriously as a manager because of his inexperience, but he was able to guide his national side to the Euro 2000 semi-finals. During the group phase, the Netherlands national football team wins slowly but sure and succeeded to get 3 victories, 1–0 against the Czech Republic, 3–0 against Denmark, and 3–2 against France. In the quarter-final, his side produced the biggest win of the competition, a 6–1 against Yugoslavia. The Netherlands played some of the best football of the tournament but lost their semi-final match to Italy on penalties, and Rijkaard resigned immediately afterwards.[3]

[edit] Sparta Rotterdam (2001–2002)

During the 2001–02 season, he became manager of Sparta Rotterdam in the Dutch Eredivisie, the oldest professional team in the country. Rijkaard enjoyed the down-to-earth atmosphere, although the club was not financially strong.[4] Under his leadership, the club was relegated to the first division for the first time in its history, and he was fired as a consequence.

[edit] Barcelona (2003–2008)

Rijkaard was not out of a coaching role for long, and less than a year after leaving Sparta Rotterdam, he was appointed manager of Barcelona for the 2003–04 season. The season would prove to be a watershed for the club, but not without initial instability. Rijkaard arrived at the club as it entered a new phase, having elected a new President in Joan Laporta and a new managerial board, but with fans unhappy that Laporta had let English midfielder David Beckham snub the chance to join the club. For Rijkaard, the team he inherited, with the exception of new superstar signing Ronaldinho (who was the club's second choice after Beckham), also consisted of many underachieving players from the old guard and era that failed to meet the club and its fans' demands to match arch rival Real Madrid's success in the early 2000s, having not won a trophy since 1999.

Rijkaard had a disappointing start at Barcelona that saw some sections of the club's fans call for his resignation, and he drew flak from the media when the team lost to Real Madrid in December 2003.[4] Rijkaard's resilience won through and from 2004 onwards, he achieved a massive turnaround, as the team went from strength to strength. Barcelona finished runners-up in La Liga in 2003–04, having been close to the relegation zone at one point in the earlier stages of the season. Rijkaard then took Barcelona to the next level as he phased out the old guard and rebuilt a new-look side around Ronaldinho, with new players like Deco, Samuel Eto'o, Rafael Márquez and Ludovic Giuly, along with the latest promotion of some young players from the previous era trained in the club's youth teams (i.e. Víctor Valdés, Carles Puyol, Xavi and Andrés Iniesta). He eventually succeeded in turning around the fortunes of the club, with the strong support of Laporta, and within the next couple of years finally managed to win La Liga both in 2004–05 and in 2005–06.

He became the first Barcelona coach to have won twice at Real Madrid's stadium Santiago Bernabéu, an achievement which even successful managers like Johan Cruijff, Louis van Gaal and Luis Aragonés were unable to accomplish. His no nonsense policy on and off the field, and the sparkling football played by his team, won him many plaudits and Rijkaard was among the five nominated coaches for UEFA's Team of the Year 2005. On 8 March 2006 he was also honoured by UEFA for his contributions to the European Cup Competition throughout his career as player and manager.[5]

Rijkaard with Xavi, Ronaldinho, and Puyol.

Rijkaard also achieved success on the European stage winning the 2005–06 Champions League with a 2–1 win against Arsenal in the final. Barcelona had been losing 1–0 for most of the match before his late tactical substitutions proved the decisive factor, as the introduction of Henrik Larsson and Juliano Belletti contributed directly to Barcelona's two goals. The win made him the fifth individual to have won the European Cup both as a player and as a manager, alongside Miguel Muñoz, Giovanni Trapattoni, Johan Cruijff, and Carlo Ancelotti, a feat later achieved also by his eventual successor, Josep Guardiola.

After losing to Manchester United in the semifinal of the 2007–08 UEFA Champions League, Rijkaard was asked whether he would quit at the end of the season seeing as though he had not won anything for two successive seasons. Rijkaard replied:

"I have no intention of leaving. It would be different if the players were saying it is time for me to go but that is not the case."

On 1 May 2008, it is reported that Rijkaard allegedly confided to a colleague that he would be stepping down as Barcelona manager at the end of the season. But 24 hours later Rijkaard stated in a press conference that he had no intention of leaving Barcelona.[6]

On 8 May 2008, the day after Barcelona's dismal 4–1 defeat to arch rivals Real Madrid, Barcelona's president Joan Laporta announced that at the end of the 2007–2008 season, Rijkaard would no longer be head coach of the first team. Laporta made the announcement after a board meeting; Rijkaard was succeeded by Josep Guardiola.[7] Joan Laporta made it clear that Rijkaard's achievements "made history" and praised him for his time at the club.

[edit] Galatasaray (2009–2010)

On 5 June 2009, Rijkaard signed a two-year contract to manage the Turkish Süper Lig giants Galatasaray, following the resignation of Bülent Korkmaz two days earlier.

Someone needs to tell me, Im still really missing the love for Moyes.

As far as I can see, money cannot be the answer with him. He already has some cracking players. He is surely no better than MON.

Answer me this? Why has he not done better with the players he has. Do we think, give him 30 million and he will have us in the Champions league. He may not have been given Millions, but still manages to buy quality, but his team still cannot compete with the big clubs.

Where is his ambition, he should be jumping at the chance to Manage a team like ours with our ambition.

He will never get us into top 4, if this is what we all want lets have him. If we want more we need to move into Europe for our Manager.

I have big trust in Randy, I Believe he knows what his doing. But do we know he wants Champions League football, or is he happy with 6th place and breaking even.

I still think it could be Hughes. He left Fulham so he didn't need to be involved in buying players that he knew he wouldn't manage, left before pre-season started and allowed Fulham enough time to appoint a new Manager. Done them a bit of a favour really. Timing looks odd but I think there's a method to him madness.

Also, some people suggesting that he could go to Chelsea, to work alongside Hiddink with the Dutchman as DOF? I read something recently suggesting that Hiddink is missing the day to day involvement, hardly something a DOF would say is it? I'm not even sure that Tottenham would want Hughes either, just doesn't feel right. He's Villa bound I reckon.

Out of interest, re Hughes. As it stands we can't get him till the 1st July as he is serving his months notice, but is it possible that Villa could negotiate a small fee with Fulham to waive that clause? Not saying they would, but is it possible that it could happen if Villa wanted him right away.

I think that would only show Fulham that we had actually spoken to him before he resigned. Hence why we are prepared to wait.

If so, and if its all agreed, then there is nothing stopping Hughes from identifying transfer targets ect, for when he does take over.

Don't worry it will happen. Steves probably just working his way through another rosseta stone course.

The mans a proven winner and will be worth the wait.

WTF!!!! Are his son or something

Read what you typed back to yourself.

Don't worry it will happen. Steves probably just working his way through another rosseta stone course.

Feck off you blue nose fanny and get a life

:lol:

Judging by that chavvy retarded comment I think you should take your own advice.

Someone likes a different manager than the majority and they get abused.

Is there any way I can report this child to the mods please.

Sorry, but the departure of GH was too swift and public for there not to have been SOME kind of wheels in motion situation. If it was really done without the club having at least some irons in the fire.....well, it would smack of incredible naivety and lack of ambition.

After last season, I would find that hard to believe.

Judging by that chavvy retarded comment I think you should take your own advice.

Tell me about it!!

Sorry, but the departure of GH was too swift and public for there not to have been SOME kind of wheels in motion situation. If it was really done without the club having at least some irons in the fire.....well, it would smack of incredible naivety and lack of ambition.

A wait for Hughes?

Ancelotti said himself he had no contact by any club.

This is post of the day for me. I agree with this as it makes so much sense. Surely they have learnt the lesson from last season.

Is there any way I can report this child to the mods please.

They are listed on the right take your pic

You are a nose. Clearly obvious to me and a few others

on here, so take your 13 fingers elsewhere