Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It annoys me when all these people say we need to be patient. "oh, Houllier's only been gone a few days".

Now in the case of MON, fair enough, it needed time. But in this case when, at the very least, we've had a good idea that Houllier would be leaving most big companies would have a very good idea of the list of replacements ready should that situation arise. It just makes sense. I'd hate to think Villa didn't even plan for a very likely set of circumstances.

So really, most of the research, short-listing and due diligence (for want of a better word) should have been done BEFORE Houllier left. It is perfectly reasonable to do in the circumstances and could easily have been thrown away should Houllier have remained.

So considering that now should be done, the actual process of getting the man in should be day to day until we find someone who wants to take this collapsing team on and then a week maybe to dot i and cross t's extra.

Under that time scale it should be all done and dusted THIS week. What could possibly take longer than that? Talk of it taking to end of June is ridiculous. We've all had a pretty good idea Houllier was leaving since April - those at the club probably had an even better idea and should at least have planned for a 'worst case scenario'.

How can it take a team over 2 months to find a new manager if this speculation of it taking a couple more weeks be true? Time will be a killer on this one and make fans, sponsors, ticket sales and players very nervous about the future.

Agree with every word - good post. 2 theories

1.We are waiting for Hughes

2.We aren't good at manager hunting.

I know I'm being totally hypothetical here given today's news - but what if Randy had done a behind the scenes deal with Hughes in May because he knew Houllier was gonna have to leave. Then Ancelotti gets sacked from Chelsea a week later and takes the Fulham job? And we missed on him because we'd done our appointment weeks before.

Lerner and Faulkner will have been scoping managers out from the start of the year I reckon - way before Houllier even got sick, in case they would have to make an appointment. They'll have known Ancelotti was probably going to be sacked like most of the media did. They'll also know the current status of most of the top managers in Europe both in a job and out of it through a huge number of contacts. They will have people with their ear to the ground chasing agents all around Europe.

We'll be waiting for a very good reason. It's probably going to be like trying to sign a player - it will be once Hiddink makes up his mind or it might be some post in France or Germany and once that happens the knock on effect will make things happen I'm sure.

If it was going to be McLaren why wasn't it done last week? Likewise Rafa etc.

As long as we're not waiting until July no news is good news a s far as I'm concerned. It's not like we're missing out on any transfer coups at the moment is it?

It annoys me when all these people say we need to be patient. "oh, Houllier's only been gone a few days".

Now in the case of MON, fair enough, it needed time. But in this case when, at the very least, we've had a good idea that Houllier would be leaving most big companies would have a very good idea of the list of replacements ready should that situation arise. It just makes sense. I'd hate to think Villa didn't even plan for a very likely set of circumstances.

So really, most of the research, short-listing and due diligence (for want of a better word) should have been done BEFORE Houllier left. It is perfectly reasonable to do in the circumstances and could easily have been thrown away should Houllier have remained.

So considering that now should be done, the actual process of getting the man in should be day to day until we find someone who wants to take this collapsing team on and then a week maybe to dot i and cross t's extra.

Under that time scale it should be all done and dusted THIS week. What could possibly take longer than that? Talk of it taking to end of June is ridiculous. We've all had a pretty good idea Houllier was leaving since April - those at the club probably had an even better idea and should at least have planned for a 'worst case scenario'.

How can it take a team over 2 months to find a new manager if this speculation of it taking a couple more weeks be true? Time will be a killer on this one and make fans, sponsors, ticket sales and players very nervous about the future.

Agree with every word - good post. 2 theories

1.We are waiting for Hughes

2.We aren't good at manager hunting.

I know I'm being totally hypothetical here given today's news - but what if Randy had done a behind the scenes deal with Hughes in May because he knew Houllier was gonna have to leave. Then Ancelotti gets sacked from Chelsea a week later and takes the Fulham job? And we missed on him because we'd done our appointment weeks before.

Lerner and Faulkner will have been scoping managers out from the start of the year I reckon - way before Houllier even got sick, in case they would have to make an appointment. They'll have known Ancelotti was probably going to be sacked like most of the media did. They'll also know the current status of most of the top managers in Europe both in a job and out of it through a huge number of contacts. They will have people with their ear to the ground chasing agents all around Europe.

We'll be waiting for a very good reason. It's probably going to be like trying to sign a player - it will be once Hiddink makes up his mind or it might be some post in France or Germany and once that happens the knock on effect will make things happen I'm sure.

If it was going to be McLaren why wasn't it done last week? Likewise Rafa etc.

As long as we're not waiting until July no news is good news a s far as I'm concerned. It's not like we're missing out on any transfer coups at the moment is it?

Like Frank Rijkaard aswell thats not good then who's left

I agree no news has got to be good news I have a very strong feeling it will be Hughes that's the only reason that I can think of for the delay.

If we Were going for someone who wasn't in a job or not tied up with contractuall s#%€ then surely we would have already got the deals done. So for me it will be a left field manager that none of us have thort of of Hughes hopefully the board will get this right a big moment for the villa.

Hughes all the way for me

Eternally optimistic villa fan

just heard from a dutch reporter on talksport( nothing to do with them though) that jol is a dead cert for fulham job now. another candidate bites the dust. get a move on villa

Must be a unknown manager to save wwage cost lets hope not

I think it could really be anyone yet. Everyone has been quiet really. I would have expected moyes to have distanced himself from it by now but he hasnt.

Lookin at the bookies lists.. and takin our criteria for proven premier league managers, match that with Randys proven ambition and willingness to spend money and there are only a few options.

Hughes

Moyes

Benitez

Ancelotti

I really dont think McLaren comes under the bracket of proven. If he stayed at middlesboro much longer some1 was gonna come on and kill him...

Dunno if we'll be lookin at someone like Martinez or Owen Coyle or Hughton.. Hardly proven.

No I think it'll be between them 4.

I would suggest that nobody has been ruled out yet despite Carlos interview and despite what hughes says about not being contacted.

Id imagine the four of those have been contacted and I think Randy will move heaven and earth to get Ancelotti.

Id be happy with any of those 4 to be honest.

Don't worry it will happen. Steves probably just working his way through another rosseta stone course.

The mans a proven winner and will be worth the wait.

Feck off you blue nose fanny and get a life

Judging by that chavvy retarded comment I think you should take your own advice.

Someone likes a different manager than the majority and they get abused.

Is there any way I can report this child to the mods please.

They are listed on the right take your pic

You are a nose. Clearly obvious to me and a few others

on here, so take your 13 fingers elsewhere

You don't realise how incredibly stupid you look. You sound like an inbred Norfolk farmer who has seen an outsider in the village you don't recognise.

I have a different opinion than you so you tell me to f-off. Frustrated little facist.

just heard from a dutch reporter on talksport( nothing to do with them though) that jol is a dead cert for fulham job now. another candidate bites the dust. get a move on villa

Just heard that too, interesting ge said it was nailed on since Christmas. The conspiracy theorist in ne suggests Hughes was tapped up by Chelsea to form a dream team with Hiddink?

I agree no news has got to be good news I have a very strong feeling it will be Hughes that's the only reason that I can think of for the delay.

If we Were going for someone who wasn't in a job or not tied up with contractuall s#%€ then surely we would have already got the deals done. So for me it will be a left field manager that none of us have thort of of Hughes hopefully the board will get this right a big moment for the villa.

Hughes all the way for me

Eternally optimistic villa fan

Agreed, nobody thought of Houllier before he was appointed last summer, he came completely out of left field and I suspect the next manager will too.

If Ancelotti has really not been approached by any clubs then surely there has to be some worry amongst us Villa supporters. What the hell is Lerner actually doing?!

Thats my concern TBH. - its all very well taking your time - but what actually are they doing - waiting for postal applications.

My only hope is that its all down to hughes contract. But if Randy paid off houllier for £5m - then what would it cost to buy out the last year of Hughes contract at Fulham ? 700k ? - Doesn't add up.

Im not overly convinced that Ancelotti hasnt been "sounded out" maybe he/his agent was asked if he'd like to be considered, said no and as a professional courtesy is remaining quiet. I mean other potential managers im sure wouldnt want it know that they werent first choice...just a thought.

I cant believe that Randy etc didnt prior to GH leaving have a few names they would investigate further.

I've said Moyes would be my first choice but I havent seen Sven's name mentioned really and surprised, I think he would be one id be more than happy with. ahead of the likes of Rafa for sure!

Moyes 1st choice now but would be excited with either Jol or Sven too.

Has anyone else not thought it strange that Valhalla has a picture of Karen Brady as his display picture?

Am i the only one on here that would give her one?

Or am i just desperate? :shock:

*Raises hand slowly* Can't help myself when watching the Apprentice.