The MLS Thread

ClaretMahoney

yeah, id say at a guess that 1 of 2 things have happened, with the huge amount of money being spent on the CL BT either didnt bid or bid next to nothing so sky picked it up really cheap, or BT actually jettisoned it

will be interesting to see what happens with serie A and the bundesliga, especially the bundesliga which must have grown in value over the last couple of years, sky could end up picking them up on the cheap too

• 2 weeks later...

Did Toronto do a swap deal with Sunderland (Altidore/Defoe)?

Yup

For some reason the English media was reporting a 15m deal, as if that was the fee. The fee was about 2m plus Altidore, and the remainder was made up with defoe's wages over the course of his contract

Watched the Whitecaps second half on TV at the weekend.  It was like pub football.  I had been looking at season tickets too!

Count yourself lucky you didn't see them a few years ago!

I don't think an MLS franchise is sustainable in Vancouver. The Grizzlies failed (although I appreciate it's a different sport) due to lack of interest and even the Canucks don't dominate the town in the way teams do in other Canadian cities. 

To cut them some slack, I guess they are only recently in the league but I don't think there's any serious money behind the franchise so I can't see them attracting marquee players. Gone in 5 years, I'd imagine.

You'd be surprised about the interest here - the city gets pretty rowdy on matchday, and they made the playoffs last season.

You're right on the lack of funding though. I've never heard of any of their players. There are so many expats here they could do with a big hitting English player to spark it off.

As for the Canucks, I'd say they do dominate the town. Tickets are over $100 as demand is so high. There were riots when they lost that cup final thing a few years ago!

Hehe - don't believe everything those Canadians tell you. I was there for the '94 "riot" and I've seen worse trouble at a pensioners tea party. 

To be fair, I've not been over since long before the expansion so I'll have to take your word for it in terms of interest levels.

I think I have to plan a trip some time soon then - I'm clearly out of touch with the town (and I need a Canucks fix!). :)

Haha, MLS does suck pretty hard. 

I bet Seattle and LA would beat a handful of Premier League clubs including Villa. 

As someone who has been watching the MLS for a good few years now, and enjoying it, I really don't think that is the case.

Maybe on their day they may scrape a win, but they would have to be some fluke.

Aside from a couple of players on each side, the defence and defensive side of midfield in particular just lack any real game intelligence.

• 1 month later...

The world's most plastic team, NYCFC have decided that they want one of those "atmospheres" that they keep hearing people talk about. So they've passed around some song sheets.  :crylaugh:

CEJzIjiWoAAtYFn.jpg

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

I dont see what the problem is, they are only a new team so maybe fans havent a clue what to sing. Is it any difference than Liverpool playing Youll Never Walk Alone before games to get people to try sing and make an atmosphere

the only issue I have is that the songs are rubbish and some dont make any sense like the last one Some History :P

Quite good.

Chant opposing team's name.

We're the New York girls making all the nirls...

Seems like the product of an Elementary school nearby the stadium. 

Â