The MLS Thread

ClaretMahoney

• 5 months later...

Atlanta United has just set a new MLS attendance record. 70,425

Atlanta United set a new MLS attendance record and three times fought back behind Josef Martinez to pocket a valuable point in Saturday’s 3-3 draw with Orlando City at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

The club announced that 70,425 tickets were sold for the game, breaking the league’s previous single-game record of 69,255 set in 1996 at the Rose Bowl in a game between the L.A. Galaxy and N.Y./N.J. MetroStars.

“It is the story in pro sports,” MLS Commissioner Don Garber said at halftime. “I’m proud to say that. 

“It’s proving that it’s defying everybody’s expectations as to what soccer can be in this market.”

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-united-sets-mls-record-draws-with-orlando/CoNcA6eoeYRm9Aob3y88uN/

Saw most of this, Guzan was flapping at a few crosses and messed up for the second goal.

It was a very entertaining game, Jozef Martinez is too good for MLS really and think Larin upfront for Orlando would do well in the European leagues. Got good pace and decent in the air.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2016 at 17:53, Dom_Wren said:

Jack Harrison, 19 year old ex man utd english lad just scored his second golaso of the season for NYCFC, looks a good player. good article on him somewhere and his decision to come to the USA and play at a prep school.

Should have been in young players thread i suppose, Did he get any mins for the U-21's?

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Started again last night. Thought he was rapids player on pitch! But I’m jealous. Heading out there in May for a game. 

Is it a friend or a relative? Just intrigued.

My boss (soon to be ex-boss as he's just resigned!) is a former MLS player, played for Portland, Salt Lake and a few others I've forgotten.......his biggest claim to fame is getting a yellow card for a foul on Beckham :)

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Is it a friend or a relative? Just intrigued.

My boss (soon to be ex-boss as he's just resigned!) is a former MLS player, played for Portland, Salt Lake and a few others I've forgotten.......his biggest claim to fame is getting a yellow card for a foul on Beckham :)

I coached him for 8 years as kid! was in his wedding, so now hes a friend. Your boss may know Enzo as he played at salt lake for a bit!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Hoping the Galaxy have a much better season than last year. That was one of the worst seasons I had ever watched, and I remember the season Guillet was in charge. 

Dos Santos Brothers upfront will be interesting. Not much to be excited about with the rest of the squad. Ashley Cole still not retired?

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Dos Santos Brothers upfront will be interesting. Not much to be excited about with the rest of the squad. Ashley Cole still not retired?

Nope. This is likely his final year though. He has lost a lot of pace, but still reads the game very well. Not sure if he can play the full season, but he will try. 

Funnily enough I also coached the galaxy’s #1 draft pic! Not to the extent of Enzo by any means. But Tomas Hilliard-Arce was a heck of a player and kid and even at 16-18 had the intangibles you look for in a pro!

12 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Funnily enough I also coached the galaxy’s #1 draft pic! Not to the extent of Enzo by any means. But Tomas Hilliard-Arce was a heck of a player and kid and even at 16-18 had the intangibles you look for in a pro!

He has done pretty well in preseason. We are pretty excited to have him. He might get a lot of minutes this season cause centerback options are pretty poor. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Atlanta just broke the MLS attendance record again today - over 70,000 - Thats pretty amazeballs for a team thats only just over 1 year old.

Impressive considering how little they support their basketball team.

Â