The MLS Thread

ClaretMahoney

Citeh are going to be playing SKC in the summer, so Alex has gone from playing against my JV squad to playing Vs Man City. Crazy stuff....I think i may pop to that one for sure.

Staggering thought. Must be a thrill for both of you.  :)

Citeh are going to be playing SKC in the summer, so Alex has gone from playing against my JV squad to playing Vs Man City. Crazy stuff....I think i may pop to that one for sure.

Staggering thought. Must be a thrill for both of you.  :)

Mate it's nuts, I coached him from when he was 11 and his short sleeved jersey came to his wrist, he drank soda at half time and played in softball cleats!!

It's nice to see the good guys get rewarded as well!

• Like 1

I don't think DC will be a match for us tbh, Defoe already looks like he will be a star, Bradley looking great as well.. Also Osorio is looking a promising Canadian player.

You would expect him to be really since he's not that far off of his prime. It's like him going down to league one to play, he'll get a hat full of goals.

• Like 1

I don't think DC will be a match for us tbh, Defoe already looks like he will be a star, Bradley looking great as well.. Also Osorio is looking a promising Canadian player.

You would expect him to be really since he's not that far off of his prime. It's like him going down to league one to play, he'll get a hat full of goals.

The amount of time and space he got in the first game was ridiculous. 

It doesn't surprise me that Defoe is a success in MLS. When the level of opponents are lower than the top level, there are hardly any better strikers in the world than Defoe.
He's the ultimate flat truck bully. His goal ratio in the cup against inferior teams, not to mention in the Europa League is excellent.

Defoe is clearly not as good a player as for example Robin van Persie, but I'd be confident in Defoe scoring the most of them in a league like MLS.

Defoe scored 7 goals in 5 Europa League games this season, and I think he'll stay close to a 1:1 ratio for Toronto.

Osorio has been great. Wouldn't be surprised to see him going over to Europe in a year or two. Can't believe he has done so well actually. I've played against his younger brother a few times who is now down in Uruguay. It is great to see some of the talent around here actually getting the chance.

• Like 1

Osorio has been great. Wouldn't be surprised to see him going over to Europe in a year or two. Can't believe he has done so well actually. I've played against his younger brother a few times who is now down in Uruguay. It is great to see some of the talent around here actually getting the chance.

It really is great, and judging by Wiki's Canadian mens team entry, we have a very young squad which bodes well for the future..  

(Click to enlarge)

13398604935_e5d5c463b5_o.png

Every single player is under the age 25 except for Jonke and 2 of the Gk's. Clearly Benito Floro is looking to the youth.. 

Also have some have a couple of promising players at QPR (Michael Petrasso & Dylan Carreiro), hopefully they can make it. 

Doneil Henry at Toronto is looking good as well. 

Edited by AVFCforever1991

• 2 months later...

How'd you get into coaching Dom?

IIRC, become a teacher at a high school that also needs a soccer coach.

Fell into it really, was playing college soccer here in states and worked for the local club, snowballed from then on and now high school and club coach!

• 1 month later...

Not MLS related, but this is the only thread about football in the states, so I thought it should be mentioned that the Manchester United-Real Madrid match in Ann Arbor, Michigan saw the biggest attendance for a soccer match in the history of the USA- over 109,000 people showed up!

Amazing, really. 109,000 people for meaningless match between two foreign clubs. 

The sport is here to stay, be damned the naysayers!

The Villa-Houston match was a sellout which really surprised me.

Edit: I actually saw quite a lot of people in Villa shirts there. I'd say 1/5 of the fans I saw were Villa supporters.

Edited by Czechlad

Â