Jermain Defoe's first press conference at Toronto: "I'm happy to be in the USA"

:mrgreen:

Did he really say that?!

lol surely not?

maybe he meant in the american league. Poor bloke. haha

Did he really say that?!

Well I saw it on twitter and thought it must be a joke... But a quick google suggested otherwise!

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/01/18/tottenham-striker-jermain-defoe-makes-huge-error-during-first-toronto-fc-press-conference/

You know, it's funny. I watched the whole news conference from start to finish with Defoe and never heard him say anything along those lines. In fact, nobody who actually was there or who has seen the video heard him say that. It's almost as if someone was pulling a playful hoax and the media just ran with the story rather than fact-checking for themselves.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

• 1 month later...

an0ubs.jpg

Sporting Kansas City has signed 2014 MLS SuperDraft selection Alex Martinez, the club announced on Tuesday. The 22-year-old midfielder will occupy one of the team's three available supplemental roster spots.

"I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to play for the best team in MLS,” Martinez said. “I have worked for this my whole life. Since I was three or four years old, I have wanted to play professional soccer. Now that it's happened, I want to make the most of the opportunity."

Martinez was selected in the third round of the 2014 MLS SuperDraft out of North Carolina State University. After a strong showing at the MLS Player Combine, Martinez saw minutes in seven of Sporting Kansas City’s 10 preseason matches and contributed three assists.

Born in Montevideo, Uruguay, Martinez moved to the United States at age nine and starred at Northwestern High School in Rock Hill, S.C. He led the school to three state championships and a No. 1 ranking nationally in the ESPN and NSCAA polls en route to earning All-American recognition.

He began his collegiate career at High Point University with 12 goals and four assists through his sophomore season. After being recruited to North Carolina State, he scored 13 goals and added 18 assists in two seasons for the Wolfpack as a First Team All-ACC honoree. Martinez also played for the Carolina Dynamo in 2013, recording four goals and five assists for the Premier Development League side.

VITALS

Alex Martinez

Position: Midfielder

Number: TBD

Born: 8/25/1991

Height: 5-8

Weight: 160

Hometown: Montevideo, Uruguay

Birthplace: Montevideo, Uruguay

Citizenship: Uruguay

College: North Carolina State Univ.

Twitter: @AlexMartinez_15

Instagram: alex15martinez

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2014/03/sporting-kc-signs-superdraft-selection-alex-martinez

Who is this player? Why are we discussing a 3rd round pick?

Dom used to coach him.

Who is this player? Why are we discussing a 3rd round pick?

Cheers Chris!

Yes cl, i used to coach alex, as this was the mls thread, i figured id post it in here, as i guess i can maybe provide a unique insight into how being a player in the league is? Also a lot of guys here have been following alex's career as we sued to have a Couple of long standing threads that he was a part of.

Interesting fact, you are correct he was the third round pick, but the first of all the draft picks to be signed.

Â