dudevillaisnice

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It's been shown that league position is mainly dependant on salaries paid rather than transfer fees. I'd love to see the same graphic for Liverpool's salaries vs Everton's salaries since 2016.

My complete guess is that Liverpool are 3rd for salaries with an average league postion of 2nd.  And Everton will be 7th for salaries with an average league position of 9th.  

Anyone up for the challenge?

Here's the easy step...   

Everton - 7th, 7th. 8th, 12th, 10th, 17 or 18th (assumed) = average of 10th place league position.

Liverpool - 4th, 4th, 2nd, 1st, 3rd, 2nd (assumed) = average of 3rd place league position.

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Here's the easy step...   

Everton - 7th, 7th. 8th, 12th, 10th, 17 or 18th (assumed) = average of 10th place league position.

Liverpool - 4th, 4th, 2nd, 1st, 3rd, 2nd (assumed) = average of 3rd place league position.

Everton salaries - £68m, £85m, £86m, £88m, £92m, £87m = average £84m.  7th highest in the league.

Liverpool salaries - £92m, £96m, £127m, £115m, £131m, £140m = average £117m.   Lower than i thought due to the 2 years before Klopp started spending. Probably 4th highest in the league. 

So overall:

Everton - salaries 7th, league position 10th. 

Liverpool - salaries 4th, league position 3rd.

Everton are just massively under-performing this season in particular.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm sure they've picked a specific year to highlight it, and it might look rather different if you picked 2015, for example, but blimey.

8lsjx4mrtnv81.jpg?width=868&auto=webp&s=70783f634e94250e3174ff3238eef4c9533bfdc5

The big signings (£40m+) are also the ones that do the most benefit and shoot you right up the league. The difference Van Dijk and Alison make for Liverpool is massive. I'm also curious how settled the teams were in those periods and how many signings each made? Adding one or two quality players is much better then adding 6 average ones if you can afford it. 

• Like 1

And the reason why Everton have spent (badly) a sh*t load of transfer money is in trying to catch up with the scum 6. They can afford to bring in the highest talent due to the CL and to a leaser extent europa league money and the gap keeps on growing. The recent salary to turnover rule in uefa will only continue the gap.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

that's what the "look at our spending" crowd don't seem to understand

would say that everton are also a good example of you wont catch the top 6 by buying the players that aren't good enough for the top 6

Exactly what we need to be careful not to do.

Yes we have rich owners but the rules in place don't allow them to invest to the level to catch the sky 6 up. So there is no point trying to like Everton did because invariably it goes wrong.

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

The big signings (£40m+) are also the ones that do the most benefit and shoot you right up the league. The difference Van Dijk and Alison make for Liverpool is massive. 

Hmm. Maybe. But Everton's record, £40m+ signing is Sigurdsson. Who isn't er...providing value for money right now.

And by the same token, £60m Naby Keita has been far less successful than players who cost Liverpool half that amount.

Edited by ml1dch

35 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Hmm. Maybe. But Everton's record, £40m+ signing is Sigurdsson. Who isn't er...providing value for money right now.

And by the same token, £60m Naby Keita has been far less successful than players who cost Liverpool half that amount.

Keita was £45m and should have been better then he has been. Add in Jota at £42m to those I mentioned earlier and you have three fantastic game changing players. They've also been very lucky/skilled in getting good fees for people like Mane and selling for a lot more then they should have (Coutinho or any of the Bournemouth ones). 

Sigurdsson wasn't worth what they paid for him and nobody would have predicted how that played out. 

Was more surprised Everton have sold 300m + worth of talent since summer 2016.

Lukaku went for I think 70m but who else? Think Barkley went to Chelsea for about 25m but would be interested to see others, can't remember which year John Stones went to Man. City from them.

Take out Grealish and we've probably not raised even 30m from sales in last 5-6 years so we really need to get better at that starting this summer.

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was more surprised Everton have sold 300m + worth of talent since summer 2016.

Lukaku went for I think 70m but who else? Think Barkley went to Chelsea for about 25m but would be interested to see others, can't remember which year John Stones went to Man. City from them.

Take out Grealish and we've probably not raised even 30m from sales in last 5-6 years so we really need to get better at that starting this summer.

Got nearly 50 million for Funes Mori, Klaasen, Lookman and Vlasic

• Thanks 1

Seems despite his disaster stint they got 12.5m back for Davy Klassen and also sold Lookman for 22.5m to Leipzig. Also sold James McCarthy for 8.5m in summer 2019 to Palace which was pretty impressive considering he was injured for about three years at Everton, no idea who he plays for now. Some guy called Henry Onyekuru joined Monaco for 12m that summer aswell.

Meanwhile we sign a guy for 7m who helps us stay up, then scores double figures to get us nearly top half.....and errr we loan him mid season to Everton where he bench warms so value will be pretty low in the summer.

We've finally wised up to how to loan our young players out properly so that's the next step now, getting decent money for unwanted squad players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Seems despite his disaster stint they got 12.5m back for Davy Klassen and also sold Lookman for 22.5m to Leipzig. Also sold James McCarthy for 8.5m in summer 2019 to Palace which was pretty impressive considering he was injured for about three years at Everton, no idea who he plays for now. Some guy called Henry Onyekuru joined Monaco for 12m that summer aswell.

Meanwhile we sign a guy for 7m who helps us stay up, then scores double figures to get us nearly top half.....and errr we loan him mid season to Everton where he bench warms so value will be pretty low in the summer.

We've finally wised up to how to loan our young players out properly so that's the next step now, getting decent money for unwanted squad players.

McCarthy is at Celtic now

I am not familiar with the numbers but out of curiosity how does Everton's financial situation compare with ours when we went down?

To make it about us (what the hell this is a Villa forum) I dont recall as much hand wringing worry from the punditocracy about us when we actually went down and nearly went out of existence, in fact the football world didn't seem to give a toss. 

Â