Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I don't see what Bent really offers. He seems to hide in games or is unable to occasionally be a step ahead of defenders. He doesn't have the extra pace, the strength, the touch or the passing and technique to impact games. Apparently he is a good finisher, but how's that gonna work if he doesn't get into chances.

The commentator today mentioned that Bent touched the ball only 19 times last weekend, which was 2nd fewest of all players to feature in the first round of games. Today he was slightly more visible, but I was much more impressed with young Weimann.

Don't get all this "let's sell Bent" talk. Everyone here readily admits that the squad is lacking in quality (therefore we can't create enough chances) so why sell one of our few quality players? We need to focus on getting him more chances.

That said, he isn't captain material.

Whilst I agree his work rate can be very suspect I am surprised he hasn't had us done under the trade descriptions act. When he came and we sold the club to him he had Ash on one side and Downing on the other to supply him with the chances. Today we had Herd on one side and NZogbia on the other.

Bent is wasted in our side. He has always been reliant on others to do the donkey work and create the chances and a midfield of Herd, Bannan, NZogbia, El Ahmadi are simply not going to do that. In fact aside from Ireland we have **** all in terms of good creative players at the club.

I hope those who are criticizing him now were against his signing in the first place.

I say this because you must be stupid to expect anything else from him, he's a penalty box striker who is shite outside of the box and doesn't have the physical 'weapons' to worry defences like someone like Gabby does.

This should be no surprise to anyone who saw him play for Charlton, Spurs, Ipswich and Sunderland. He has always been like this.

To get the best out of Bent you have to accommodate him, essentially set up to 'service' him as a striker. If you don't do that then you may as well not have him in the team at all.

I hope those who are criticizing him now were against his signing in the first place.

I say this because you must be stupid to expect anything else from him, he's a penalty box striker who is shite outside of the box and doesn't have the physical 'weapons' to worry defences like someone like Gabby does.

This should be no surprise to anyone who saw him play for Charlton, Spurs, Ipswich and Sunderland. He has always been like this.

To get the best out of Bent you have to accommodate him, essentially set up to 'service' him as a striker. If you don't do that then you may as well not have him in the team at all.

If that is the case why were so many Villa fans happy to pay so much for him? You are describing and incredibly basic player, which he is, but you paid the price of a top class forward. I was critical of you signing him and was accused of being biased as a Spurs fan. But I'd watched him for 2 years and knew how limited he was. £18-£24 million for Villa is a huge amount of money. It would be the record transfer fee for all but 4 Prem clubs. I just don't understand how the Villa fans could be pleased with investing so much of your transfer funds into such a basic player.

He's getting no service so we can't be too harsh. What I will say is, his link up play has been below par. I'd also say, he's not captain material. He needs that burden taken off him ASAP.

If that is the case why were so many Villa fans happy to pay so much for him? You are describing and incredibly basic player, which he is, but you paid the price of a top class forward. I was critical of you signing him and was accused of being biased as a Spurs fan. But I'd watched him for 2 years and knew how limited he was. £18-£24 million for Villa is a huge amount of money. It would be the record transfer fee for all but 4 Prem clubs. I just don't understand how the Villa fans could be pleased with investing so much of your transfer funds into such a basic player.

Bent would have been the missing piece in the jigsaw when we were chasing champions league a couple of years ago as we desperately needed a proper goalscorer at that point.

The problem is that now we have no quality in midfield, Bent will not get many chances and as we both agree his general play outside of the box is awful.

I do think we overspent on him, but then I also think he kept us in the league in his first half a season here, so perhaps a necessary evil?

With more foresight that money would have been used much better but then poor investment tends to be the theme of Villa over the years.

I'm not going to moan about Bent because I know precisely the sort of player he is and what would happen when the supply line is cut. I can only laugh at those moaning about him because this was always going to be the case. I'm pretty sure he'll be looking to move come Christmas to a club where he can keep his precious goal ratio up.

If Lambert is going to continue playing narrow short passing football then I don't see what Bent has to offer, unless he can manage to adapt to be more of a team player.

I don't think our manner of play much matters to Bent. We can play however we like provided we can create good chances for him, and he will reward us for it.

Unfortunately there's not a single creative bone in this side.

we don't need to create loads, just something for bent. he somehow managed to score 9 in 22 in the league last season, and that was with a poor team and the most negative manager ever.

unfortunately we are creating nothing at all. in the two games so far i have seen no midfielders or wingers getting up the pitch with any regularity. that leaves bent against both centrebacks and so he is easily marked out the game.

Thought I would post these up again updated this season of games since Bent signed

With Bent

40 games, 13 wins, 14 draws, 11 loses, 49 scored, 52 conceded, 53 points

Without Bent:

34 games, 6 wins, 13 draws, 15 loses, 35 scored, 59 conceded, 31 points

Thought I would post these up again updated this season of games since Bent signed

With Bent

40 games, 13 wins, 14 draws, 11 loses, 49 scored, 52 conceded, 53 points

Without Bent:

34 games, 6 wins, 13 draws, 15 loses, 35 scored, 59 conceded, 31 points

Incredible. Also incredible that there is a stat that shows we have won more games than lost in recent years.

I don't think our manner of play much matters to Bent. We can play however we like provided we can create good chances for him, and he will reward us for it.

Unfortunately there's not a single creative bone in this side.

This just about sums the situation up for me.

Â