James Collins

AngelGabriel

I don't think there is a sell to buy, or at least not indicated by this. If he isn't in PL's plans, we would certainly be looking to sell Collins regardless of whether or not we were looking at Vlaar. He is 28, with only 12 months left on his contract so therefore has some value to the club in the tranfer market.

Substitute Collins for a position where we have even more cover, say CM (not saying I am entirely happy with CM, but we certainly have numbers there), and he is not preferred and has 12 months on his contract. No one would be saying there is sell to buy if we were trying to move him on then.

Well, we shall see. Just to be clear, my suspicion of "sell to buy" comes from the mention of balancing the books, not purely from the intention to sell Collins with 12 months left on his contract, which seems eminently sensible (indeed, pity we didn't try to do it with 24 or even 36 months left on his contract). It is if the Vlaar (or any other defender deal) has to be put on hold until Collins can be sold that I would have a problem.

I declare the right to be suspicious of Lerner/Faulkner's ability at the transfer/squad building business given the ham fisted way they have gone about it for the past 5 years. They need to prove me wrong.

Whilst I share some of the sceptisism of Briny there are a couple of factors which weigh against it.

Richard has been such a critic and is onboard with what is happening, so he is either being misled, or is a fool, or has gone soft - or there is real evidence that RL has learnt.

PL would have known our past - and probably what happened to MON over money - and would surely have got assurances on this score.

I just can't think RL would stick to a sell to buy , I think it is more an overall picture of Revenue and Wages.

Never been a fan, even during his glory season here in 09/10.

He's fine playing the physical teams like Blackburn and Stoke where he just has to head away long throw ins all game but put him up against teams with quick forwards with good movement and he gets found out time and again.

Dunney has been a liability aswell but when he does fancy it, he can still be a pretty good premier league defence and with his age and wages he'd be harder to shift so might aswell keep him for the last year of his contract.

That requires someone to be willing to be proven wrong.
It doesn't at all. It will be obvious by the end of the summer whether the squad investment strategy was straightforward sell to buy or something more sensible and flexible and my suspicions will either be proved right or wrong regardless of what I think about it.

No-one will be happier than me if I am wrong because it means we have a chance of repairing some of the damage done by the foolish approach of the last 3 years or so and having a decent and better balanced squad for 2012-3.

However, all this talk over in the Vlaar thread (admittedly in a fairly ropy translation from the Dutch) of Lambert having to persuade Lerner of "the utility of an extra central defender, weighed against the overall player base." isn't making me feel much happier at the moment.

Said it before, but would still keep Collins over Dunne.

From what I have seen so far from pre season Dunne is looking even slower than before. Collins has been looking strong and hasn't even been launching the ball a lot.

From what I have seen so far from pre season Dunne is looking even slower than before. Collins has been looking strong and hasn't even been launching the ball a lot.

So where have you seen dunne pre season ?

Last night???

Last night???

yep

Last night???

Yup. I am a Dunne fan but he really looked off the pace at Philly. Hopefully its just the heat. But yeah, he got caught out pretty bad in that one run for sure.

Richard has been such a critic and is onboard with what is happening, so he is either being misled, or is a fool, or has gone soft

Well I know which one my money is on :winkold:

Â