James Collins

AngelGabriel

I'm no fan of Collins but from my viewpoint at The Britannia he had a decent game so credit where credit's due.

I'm not so sure that him and Dunne are best buddies - when I've seen him out and about he's always with Matt Etherington.

Maybe not but it seems to be the case where Collins is Dunne's preferred defensive partner whereas it seems to me Carlos complements his game a little better.

• 1 month later...
Of the 38 centre-backs to have attempted at least 50 long balls this season #AVFC's James Collins has the worst accuracy (42%). Hoof

yes but his are through balls rest of defenders are just clearances :P

• 2 months later...

I don't think it's fair that Collins' thread only gets brought up when he has a shocker! I thought he played well Saturday. He was commanding and, as usual, he'll throw himself in front of a bus if it'll help the team.

If he is, fine, but I'd be happy if Collins wasn't sold this summer. He isn't a bad defender, he's just slow to turn and not the best at passing.

He puts his body on the line and plays his heart out for the team, there's no harm in keeping a player like that, imo.

linked with Swansea for 5 million. just dont see it

I don't think it's fair that Collins' thread only gets brought up when he has a shocker! I thought he played well Saturday. He was commanding and, as usual, he'll throw himself in front of a bus if it'll help the team.

sadly it happens to all the players,

£5m?

Great price.. I don't see it either though.

Don't think he fits into Swansea's style of passing and building from the back either to be honest...

(HOOOOOOOF)

There is zero chance of Swansea paying £5M for Collins,living in Swansea and a life long Villa fan I can tell you now that the way Swansea play is alien to a hoofball merchant like Collins.Lazy journalism at its worst.

He gets a lot of stick so only fair to mention he has won the accolade of being featured in the esteemed Garth Crooks's team of the week:

Quite apart from holding the Aston Villa fort under extreme Liverpool bombardment the Villa centre-half marshalled his troops brilliantly to a well-earned point. Ravaged by injuries to key players, Alex McLeish turned to his former academy students, who performed heroics on the day but they took their cue from the rock that was Collins. It looks like the Welsh international has grown in the absence of the injured Richard Dunne.

Did you know? Collins has made 274 clearances for Aston Villa this season, the only player in the league to make more is Ryan Shawcross (406).

Credit where it's due, he's had a couple of really good games lately. I guess it's harder to drift out of position when the entire team is condensed into our own penalty area. Still, he's making lots of meaty and important interceptions.

I would still sell him first rather than lose Cuellar or any of our other CBs (although Dunne is borderline). Weren't QPR trying to buy Collins in January? There could be legs to these rumours of interest in him. For anything over £3m I think we should bite a hand off.

Still should be sold along with Dunne. Fair play to him though, been a lot better and not the liability he was, and no matter how much I dislike him as a player he always throws his body on the line for us.

Â