Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

GuillemBalague Guillem Balague

if Gerard Houllier decides 2 leave AV (the club want him to stay and reduce his workload) David Moyes is top of a shortlist to replace him

That's someone ITK about most footballing matters.

Very disappointing news.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GH reducing his hours is laughable - (i suggested something similar migh happen last week) - this would be a unmitgated disaster. I mean GH has upset senior players - so the odds of harmony breaking out - in somr some half cocked structure - where we have a general manager, overall manager , and first team coach is almost zero.

A defining moment in Randy's ownership - he doesn't have the clout to go out and bag a top manager - so is coming up with some fudged structure.

The single most important thing an owner does is to appoint a quality manager - you can not botch this by appointing 2 average ones side by side, - appoint the best you can - let him get on with it.

Lost confidence in Randy now

Wow, Moyes and Houllier working together would be disappointing?

We're not **** Real Madrid by the way.

I'm not really sure who or what this is a response to.....

I don't think anyone is under any illusions of what and where we are but I think a lot of people would prefer that if we got Moyes he was in complete control.

Its gonna be tough (but not impossible) to tempt moyes anyway - but offering him a position where he reports to GH will stop this move in its tracks.

If you want someone to work under GH your looking at, Southgate, Mclaren calibre appointments.

I have a hunch that southgate could feature in any joke of 3 man managerial team set up !

Can't see Moyes working with a DOF to be honest

Interestingly McClaren worked under Jim Smith at Derby , then Sir Alex at Man U ..even Sven at England .. so arguably he could be a good coach just a crap manager ?

could he work for/ under GH ? and how would people feel about this ?

Phillip Auclair was on the Guardian's Podcast yesterday and james Richardson asked him specifically about Houllier and whether he was likely to continue next season. Auclair seems to be as close to Houllier as anyone. He said he has spoken to Houllier twice on the phone since his health scare and whilst Houllier has said he wants to come back, Auclair doesn't think he'll be able to.

He also said Benitez was likely to be in the running as a replacement as his kids were settled in England and he's currently touting himself for the best PL job he can get.

He commented that Villa will be a big attraction for managers at the moment given the quality of the squad etc, and Randy's supposed willingness to spend.

GuillemBalague Guillem Balague

if Gerard Houllier decides 2 leave AV (the club want him to stay and reduce his workload) David Moyes is top of a shortlist to replace him

That's someone ITK about most footballing matters.

Balague said Villa and Liverpool had agreed a fee for Barry a few summers ago about two months before the transfer window opened, which turned out to be bollocks.

He's annoying because he states these things as fact when he only hears the same rumours everyone else does. Same as his mate Marcotti.

He also by all accounts seems to hate Gerard Houllier.

I'm not really sure who or what this is a response to.....

I don't think anyone is under any illusions of what and where we are but I think a lot of people would prefer that if we got Moyes he was in complete control.

The last manager had complete control and it didnt work. In fact its set us back somewhat. And Houllier, if he had a backroom role, wouldn't necessarily be over Moyes or a DOF.

Marseille president Jean-Claude Dassier wants Didier Deschamps to stay as coach next season.

OM are set to lose their Ligue 1 crown as they have slipped three points behind Lille having played a game more as the season reaches its climax.

While Dassier expressed regret at what had happened, he insisted he retains full trust in Deschamps.

"I have regrets," he told L'Equipe. "We had the potential to do better.

"I have no official announcement about Deschamps at the moment, but there is no reason I do not trust in him."

The French boss has a clause in his contract which would allow him to leave this year at a cost of three million euros, but Dassier does not see that being a factor.

"With Deschamps, this is not a concern," he said. "He will stay, I am firmly convinced. He will continue his time with Marseille. I will talk to him before the end of the month."

If Houllier goes, then please Randy make this happen!

Click

yeah houllier as DoF with deschamps would be good, deschamps doesn't exactly give you flair footy but he knows the continental DoF + head coach model well, his sides are well organised and keep the ball well too. would be great i reckon.

To give the manager of a Premiership Club a reduced workload would be very amateurish. Especially one with aspirations of breaking in to the top 4 or at least to compete for the top half dozen places again.

To achieve the kind of success we all crave is going to require a manager who can give his all, work his bollocks off and take total responsibility. Some half baked structure of Houllier over seeing a head coach just wouldn't work for the simple reason who takes ultimate responsibility? I guess the most worrying thing is if this idea ever did come to fruition, which I highly doubt, then it may well be Gary Mac who would be the one given the head role below Houllier.

I just can't see Randy being that naive and still fully expect Houllier and G Mac to be out with in a few days of the season ending. If Houllier does stay with a reduced work load with Gary Mac given more responsibility then god help us and questions would certainly need to be asked of Randy and Faulkner.