Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

It's easy to sleep with beautiful women when you're a rich handsome bastard, but it's perhaps more of an achievement to get any sort of shag at all if you're a poor fat ****.

Rich fat ****/really ugly blokes can get plenty of beautiful women into bed! The only requirement is being rich! Peter Crouch, Wayne Rooney, Donald Trump, Paul Daniels???

Well yes. But the analogy stands either way!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I've thought about it the more Lois van Gaal appeals. I fancy a bit of footballing aristocracy at Aston Villa. My reservations were based on his age (I thought he was older) but at 59 he can have an extended run and install the right ethos at the club. There are a few managers I'd be happy enough with but van Gaal would be my number 1 choice and have voted as such.

GuillemBalague Guillem Balague

if Gerard Houllier decides 2 leave AV (the club want him to stay and reduce his workload) David Moyes is top of a shortlist to replace him

That's someone ITK about most footballing matters.

Lets look forward to the season starting in feb then!!

GuillemBalague Guillem Balague

if Gerard Houllier decides 2 leave AV (the club want him to stay and reduce his workload) David Moyes is top of a shortlist to replace him

That's someone ITK about most footballing matters.

I'm not sure - I like Guillem and think he has a pretty good grasp of all things related to Spanish football but I can't imagine he's as well informed when it comes to the daily goings-on at Villa. And how can any Premier League manager realistically reduce his workload? It's not a role where there's any place to hide and you're either fit to do it or you're not. If there was any truth in the idea, and more responsibility was to pass to Gary McAllister in order to facilitate Houllier continuing, I think we would be looking at serious problems ahead.

In my opinion, the decision concerning our manager will be as emphatic an indication of the club's ambition as we are likely to see. Any attempt to work around Houllier's health concerns to keep him in the job will be a loud and clear signal that rather than go through the upheaval of implementing big changes, the board are ready to settle for mid-table stability (and based upon this year's overall performance, that would not be guaranteed). Regardless of what Houllier's doctors might attest to, it will be too big a risk to gamble on him being able to make it through the season without missing games - a farcical scenario for a major club.

The fans also need to see a degree of ruthlessness in the club's appraisal of team affairs this season when the last ball is kicked and the merest hint of persevering with a management team that has failed at virtually every turn both on and off the field will, again, signal a lack of intent to make us genuinely competitive nearer the top end of the table.

Ordinarily, I would always advocate continuity but there are simply too many possible risks to starting again next season with the same personnel, not the least of which will be the negativity and doubt that will continue to fester. If the club remain committed to achieving tangible success, major changes are required this summer and everyone - from the fans to the players - needs to know what the plan is as quickly as possible. In the meantime, little snippets like Guillem's will just feed the overall sense of uncertainty.

Surely the stress of managing Aston Villa is not down to the hours that a manager puts in but more to the fact that its a results based business.

I really do not see how reducing GH hours/workload will be of any help at all.

I am sure that Randy would not want a hand in letting Gerard kill himself - If he thinks the West Ham board are getting some stick at the moment it will nothing compared to what will be thrown at our board should they not act for the good of both manager and club at the end of this season.

If reducing his workload meant bringing in a hands-on first team coach like Wilkins or Mclaren, then I'd be all for this.

yup, would love wilkins as head coach with GH more upstairs looking after transfers, youth development, big picture style stuff.

Heaven forbid it ever happening.. but if Gerard 'left us' whilst in our managerial post after this recent health scare. As bad as it is to think of it purely in these terms... the PR for the club would be an absolute firestorm. The image of the club would be in tatters

If reducing his workload meant bringing in a hands-on first team coach like Wilkins or Mclaren, then I'd be all for this.

yup, would love wilkins as head coach with GH more upstairs looking after transfers, youth development, big picture style stuff.

Don't think I would tbh. I've got my heart set on either Lambert, van Gaal or Rijkaard

Shoody's right, we have been warned.

It would possibly be one of the biggest stories to hit football for a decade, and we'd be at the centre of it. Not to mention the fact that clearly nobody wants to see harm come to Gerard, regardless of the PR implications.

Don't think I would tbh. I've got my heart set on either Lambert, van Gaal or Rijkaard

Id love Rikjaard or Van Gaal or even Deschamps

But I wouldnt be against

DoF - Houllier

Manager - Moyes

Assistant - Wilkins

Bayern were also in the CL final against Inter last season... alongside the double.. that is far better than Allardyce's achievements.

I know but they lost.

Allardyce got Bolton to the League Cup final but they also lost.

League Cup Final vs CL Final.. hmm which one is more of an achievement to get to?

Depends which club you're managing.

Bayern I would expect to at least get to the quarter-finals of the CL each year, so getting to the final is a good achievement for them, but not a great one.

Bolton I would expect to get to last 16 or quarter finals of the League Cup so getting the final is also a good achievement for them, but not a great one (since it's not the FA Cup.)

I'd say the achievements are about equal tbh.