Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Yup he's certainly not worth an ounce of the hate getting spouted on here.

Any hate should be directed at the idiot who signed him when

A - we didn't need him (lichaj, herd, Cuellar could all play RB)

B - we were supposed to be cutting costs, so why did we spend £4million and give out another bumper contract

C - he really was a liability, his defending was always a last ditch lunge after being caught out too far up field

This deal was a disaster, it should never of been done, you can't blame hutton for not walking away from a reported £39k a week, but its him that's spending the 'peak' years of his career playing with a group of 18 year old kids because his putting money ahead of his career

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

(for the record I didn't want to sign him either but at the time you couldn't have predicted it would end soooooo badly)

I thought the resident VT 'ITK' said he was off? Well no he didn't he conveniently didn't say that, just heavily hinted to cover his back. Something all bull shit rumour spreaders do...

The window's not shut yet, clever dick

Quoted for when he’s still not gone come Saturday and another VT ‘ITK’ bites the dust.

I've respected Hutton while he has been here, he hasn't moaned, he hasn't spoken out of turn...although that may be down to a lack of ambition or being happy to just take the money and relax...

You would think that a player would rather just take the pay cut and play football, he's still an international footballer...although that must be gutting, to be not get into your national side even though the player ahead of you doesn't actually play football and trains with the kids....

Hutton knows he isn't wanted at the club but likes the money (and he's still getting selected for Scotland - how poor must they be!) so why move?!??!

IIRC - Hutton's had several opportunities to leave the club but has declined because the money wasn't right.

• Like 1

I always wonder if our defence was almost entirely injured, whether or not Lambert would play Hutton

This what I don't understand about the whole situation. Yes Hutton was mostly rubbish when he played for us under McLeish, but Lambert binned him off before he'd even seen him play.  If it was a cost cutting measure, then that hasn't worked very well as I imagine we've paid the lion's share of his wages wherever he's been, and his resale value will have plummeted after not playing for us.  I don't recall any major problems that he's caused (unlike say, Dunne and Collins) so I'm at a loss as to what we've gained from completely burning our bridges with him.

Let him train with the first team, and he might prove to be OK, and if so "it's almost like having a new player" (Copyright D.Ellis)

If he's still worse at right back than Lowton or Bacuna (hard to imagine), then you haven't lost anything by paying a player you're contractually obliged to pay anyway.

And for what it's worth, who in their right mind would voluntarily give away £40K a week?  Not me, that's for sure.

• Like 3

I always wonder if our defence was almost entirely injured, whether or not Lambert would play Hutton

This what I don't understand about the whole situation. Yes Hutton was mostly rubbish when he played for us under McLeish, but Lambert binned him off before he'd even seen him play.  If it was a cost cutting measure, then that hasn't worked very well as I imagine we've paid the lion's share of his wages wherever he's been, and his resale value will have plummeted after not playing for us.  I don't recall any major problems that he's caused (unlike say, Dunne and Collins) so I'm at a loss as to what we've gained from completely burning our bridges with him.

Let him train with the first team, and he might prove to be OK, and if so "it's almost like having a new player" (Copyright D.Ellis)

If he's still worse at right back than Lowton or Bacuna (hard to imagine), then you haven't lost anything by paying a player you're contractually obliged to pay anyway.

And for what it's worth, who in their right mind would voluntarily give away £40K a week?  Not me, that's for sure.

He has actully looked decent when playing for Scotland too

This what I don't understand about the whole situation. Yes Hutton was mostly rubbish when he played for us under McLeish, but Lambert binned him off before he'd even seen him play. If it was a cost cutting measure, then that hasn't worked very well as I imagine we've paid the lion's share of his wages wherever he's been, and his resale value will have plummeted after not playing for us. I don't recall any major problems that he's caused (unlike say, Dunne and Collins) so I'm at a loss as to what we've gained from completely burning our bridges with him.

And for what it's worth, who in their right mind would voluntarily give away £40K a week? Not me, that's for sure.

With Lowton not too good defensively, and also wanting to see Bacuna as an established midfield player, it can't hurt to play Hutton. He has high aggression (sometimes too much), but we need a bit of aggression, rather than letting players waltz by. There's no point in just letting him rot in the reserves whilst he receives his paycheck. Playing him for one match can't do much harm, and who knows he may actually be decent. (puts on tin hat). Edited by ismail-villa
  • Like 2

No tin hat required Ismail, I agree with you.  Unless he's a copper-bottomed trouble maker (which I've yet to see any evidence of) why shouldn't he be given a chance?  I think he's unfairly tainted for a number of reasons beyond his control:

1) He was bought by McLeish, and is guilty by association

2) He was in the same defence as definite trouble makers Dunne and Collins

3) He earns more than most of our other players, because of when he was bought

None of the above is his fault of course, and it seems strange not to give somebody a chance, especially when we need every person we can get.

• Like 1

This what I don't understand about the whole situation. Yes Hutton was mostly rubbish when he played for us under McLeish, but Lambert binned him off before he'd even seen him play. If it was a cost cutting measure, then that hasn't worked very well as I imagine we've paid the lion's share of his wages wherever he's been, and his resale value will have plummeted after not playing for us. I don't recall any major problems that he's caused (unlike say, Dunne and Collins) so I'm at a loss as to what we've gained from completely burning our bridges with him.

And for what it's worth, who in their right mind would voluntarily give away £40K a week? Not me, that's for sure.

With Lowton not too good defensively, and also wanting to see Bacuna as an established midfield player, it can't hurt to play Hutton. He has high aggression (sometimes too much), but we need a bit of aggression, rather than letting players waltz by. There's no point in just letting him rot in the reserves whilst he receives his paycheck. Playing him for one match can't do much harm, and who knows he may actually be decent. (puts on tin hat).

I agree with this too. Especially given as Lambert said he needs a bit of experience in the team

• Like 1

Â